RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dodge and Burn to Smooth Skin?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 PM

Dodge and Burn to Smooth Skin?

Hi!

I've been reading a lot here about people using Dodge and Burn to retouch skin. I was just wondering if there is a tutorial that talks more about this? What is the premise behind the technique. Is it to be used when you want to preserve skin texture most? Can you really get very smooth and clean looking skin using Dodge and Burn?

I'm really interested in learning more.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 12:15 AM

Re: Dodge and Burn to Smooth Skin?

Hi mbluvva........ I'm with you on this...... I keep thinking there must be something I'm missing...... I'll create a soft light layer, filled with 50% gray then use a white brush to paint over dark spots and black brush to paint over light spots............. then I've read that it works best if you do this on the green channel.......... then adjust the opacity.........GAaaaaaahhhhhh........

By the time I've finished a cheek or forehead the whole thing just looks lighter or darker without a trace of pores or texture of any kind...... I'm going to be watching this thread hoping to get in on the technique.....

Thanks for asking about this one......

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 AM

I'll give it my best try.

Once you have taken out mayor skin marks (Beauty marks, pimples, etc) with the patch tool (or what ever you use)

You create the Dodge and Burn Layer Set (D&B)

The dodge and burn is done with a set of curve adjustment layers.

From bottom to top:

Curve(LIGHTEN) lighten the mids and fill the layer with black to hide. In this layer, paint white at about 20% depending to lighten dark spots on the skin
Curve(DARKEN) darken the mids and fill with black as well so that you can use this to darken light spots on the skin.
HUE(DESAT) The HUE layer is used to desaturate the image and see better.
CURVE(CONTRAST) is helpful to display the dark/light spots better - an S curve in it to bring out the contrast so you can see it better

Both of them (Desat and Cont) can be turn on and off as you please.

After zooming 500% to work on the fine points of the skin, zoom out and use larger brushes to change light.
Then turn off the CONTRAST and HUE curves.

This takes a lot of time, but the result is the best I could achieve.

Hope this helps...

More... Sometimes, I duplicate the set in case some dark spots are really dark and just one lighten won't do it.

More2: English is not my native lenguaje... so sorry in advance
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 08:46 AM

I don't think Dodging and burning by itself can soften skin, it tends to just lighten or darken. I think this could be used for emphasizing areas, cheekbones etc. but would not smoothen.

Another way is to paint with History (don't gasp its rather simple). Dodging and burning can change the colours slightly. I also find dodging and burning to be quite harsh even at low opacities for the brush strokes, easy to over do things.

When you have smoothed the skin with other methods, Byros degrunge is good, dupe the pic and set your history to this point. then select the history brush set it at Screen to lighten or Multiply to darken. Set the softness to the lowest setting and the opacity of the brush quite low (4-5% is quite good). then paint on the duped layers wherever you want to lighten or darken.
The low opacity means you can build up the effect slowly, doing it on a new layer means you dont lose any earlier work if you over do it.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 09:20 AM

Actually... I do use Dodge&Burn for my skin retouch

And you really can get very smooth and clean looking skin using Dodge and Burn
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 10:24 AM

Thanks Godmother!!!!

The information is very useful but i think that people want to see a step by step tutorial with lots of photos!!! I can contribute with some high resolution face images!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 10:36 AM

Say Beth

Some folks select the skin, excluding the eyes mouth and nose. Then on its own layer they desaturate and use a highpass filter.
This layer can be hidden and brought back after the skin is smoothed and shaded. The layers blend mode needs to be soft light. Add a mask to adjust or lower opacity.

The bottom line... this does a good job of bringing back pores after the basic skin tone has lost detail.

Another way for shading is to use soft light modes on shade layers. Just paint with a hard brush in black or white. Then use gaussian blur to blend... adjust opacity as desired.

The texture mask idea above was taken form the tutorial below if you did not see it.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=209

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS
Thanks Godmother!!!!

The information is very useful but i think that people want to see a step by step tutorial with lots of photos!!! I can contribute with some high resolution face images!!!!
I'm willing to do it... Send them to my email. nataffa@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 12:32 PM

Hi Butch...... I'm going to try your method..... it sounds familiar to me but the tutorial I used (I think) stated to make your selection, feather it, then Ctrl J two times, turn off top layer, select middle layer and run high pass filtering in only what you want to show, turn off middle layer and select top layer and Gaus blur out all the junk...... then adj. opacity of the layers.......

I'm going to copy and use your version in a little while..... Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2006, 12:29 PM

Thanks to those who contributed on this thread. I'd love it if someone did do a tutorial on it, as the method escapes me.

Will keep checking back.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching