RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

are we being tricked? please discuss here.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:11 PM

are we being tricked? please discuss here.

I whent into a perfume store the other day...They have some big posters there of models doing commersial for variuos perfume brands...And what I see is skin texture, not so good retouching and some pictures isn't retouched very good...I think that you all in here should go see the pictures in your local perfume store...I think that watching the small pictures on the net sometimes tricks you into believing that the skin is ultra smooth and no texture...I have learned that I do a nice job sometimes on my retouching judged by the pictures in the perfume store...And that have helpe me very much, since I always hunt for the perfect retouched picture...if we had seen a retouched pictures on the net from dior or another perfume/makeup company that's the size of 4500x6800(or something big) you would learn even more...

Because I see people here tend to go overboard( i do so as well) on the skin texture...and the skin is so smooth it looks like something completelyd different(don't no what though )

My conclusion is: Go to you local perfume store and see their big posters they normally have in their windows or in the shop...study them, even ask to get a poster with you(some shops give them away afterwards, I have asked...hehe) when the commercial campaign has ended...

People know this allready, but for me it was an eye opener...

please do share your thoughts here...

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 04:04 AM

Re: are we being tricked? please discuss here.

I have been aware of this for some time. I have some ultra high quality before and afters from professional retouchers, and most of those were created using a lot of healing brush, cloning and, believe it or not, softening. So while everyone in here is retouching small pictures using dodge & burn, which already takes hours on small pictures so image the time it would take on a 4000*6000 picture, a lot of professionals are using simple techniques such as the healing brush. They even use filters. Sure, for the high quality things, like advertising, they probably use dodge & burn because it's going to be printed on huge displays and posters, but for magazines it's mostly other techniques and filters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 05:03 AM

Superkoax,I worked at a screenprinting place who do a lot of these store posters.I was kind of shocked when i first started there,if you look closely you will see even the colors are not in register in a lot of them.That said,when I asked I was told there display prints (walk bys) most people do not even notice and they are only temporary usually

hope this helps some zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 06:28 AM

The poster and displays are ment to be seen from a certain distance...
sure they look soft at a foot but you see it from 10-15 feet and its perfect...lets not even talk about billboards.

I see a lot of magazine coveres for hairstyles etc. that use "poreless-silkskinned" women. Some may say overdone..but it's exactly what people want or or have been taught to want..it sells.

Lasa
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 06:39 AM

I find it interesting to when reading discussion on how something "should look". Everyone does indeed have an opinion. What is it that we are trying to achieve? Something pleasing to our eye, our customer, or what we believe the "standard" is the day. If there is a standard, who sets it? The market? If you look at magazines of skin 30, 20, 10 years ago, it changes. I'm sure it changes with the techology that is available in the moment. It certainly isn't real...no wrinkles, no discolorations...just an illusion of what we think someone wants or what someone wants to buy. I think it is indeed "fun" to learn and create different looks, but, to me, what is achieived in the end depends on who you are trying to please.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 12:17 PM

thank you so much for replying and this helps me understand some of the fundamental thinking regarding retouching...

Yes, we do se smaller version of of pictures here on internet and therfor we are shown a small piece of the real picture...I can use the new campaign with hillary swank picture http://www.justjared.com/images/2006...-insolence.jpg

saw this on the net and thought nice retouching...but when I saw the big poster in the shop you saw the pores and the skin texture...for me this is great to know since I have tried to really smoothen the skin to point of being polished...And to me the pictures should look real and human, but some really nice retocuhing done for dior is crazy polished, but still look very good!

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 06:14 AM

Yes I think you are correct in saying that we are not seeing the full details in the internet images. Even when you print out an image A4 size and then print it out for a shop poster - A0 size you will see a big difference. Pores and details are good though. A while ago I also wanted that polished look, but acutally I think that if I had seen the full size high res image (RUSH images) they would have had more detail. Same goes for Amy Dresser's images on her site.

Does anybody know about a technique of evening out skin tone using curves? Just something I have heard mentioned but not seen. I know that you can use Hugh Saturation Adj Layer to select the reds and desaturate but I think there may be more to this method using a Curve Adjustment Layer and using Quick Mask to select problem areas. Would this involve going in really close like we do with dodge and burn?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gwen.jpg (45.5 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by shellby; 12-03-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 06:44 AM

I think you have it, slective color or curve, using Quick Mask to select problem areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 09:43 AM

I've always believed that Photoshop retouching is like make-up on a woman; more often than not the best make-up jobs are the ones where you can't even tell they are wearing make-up at all. Sure, there are situations when the more obvious make-up techniques are warranted, but more often than not, just like Photoshop retouching, the line between too much and too little is the same as the line between knowing it is Photoshopped and not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2006, 06:49 PM

Shelby,

Do you have katrin eismann's book - from memory i think it might be in there - i've lent mine to a friend so i can't check sorry.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching