RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What retouching "styles" do you like?

Old 12-03-2006, 09:39 AM

Re: What retouching "styles" do you like?

I really don't want to redirect the current discussion on this thread, but I do have a question from an earlier post I made this week which involves "fair-use". My question earlier in the week was could I post pictures on this site from magazines etc for discussion. I'm not sure where Shelby obtained the pictures above, but should the source be acknowleged? Can one copy a photo from another area of the internet and post in on this site for dicussion? Can I scan a magazine photo for discussion? As mentioned, earlier I would like to. I'm just trying to be consistent with regards to the "rules" allow in a forum like this one...what can I or can I not post for discussion?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 10:05 AM

I think we should provide links that would be better. Good point.

I wanted to discuss retouching styles, not whether retouching should be done or not. I am already a retoucher so I am happy with what I do and I really love doing it. The fashion and advertising world is all fiction. We are not going to stop retouching, and designers and art directors are not going to stop coming up with big campaigns to sell products.

Here are some links to images I think are really nice:

kate winslet

ANGELINA
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellby
The fashion and advertising world is all fiction.
Sorry to step on your thread, Shellby. I _am_ glad you approach advertising as fiction. It's a pragmatic view and probably allows you to let your creative juices flow when you work. :-)

Last edited by byRo; 12-04-2006 at 02:16 PM. Reason: closed the quote.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 AM

"step" all you like I just can't really say I agree or disagree with how the world portrays fashion, woman and so on... I just love working in Photoshop with beauty images and giving the client (photographer) what they want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 12:52 PM

shelby....you should checkout www.markusklinko-indrani.com....they're a retouching house here in nyc and they have the kind of retouching style that i think you would like. they do nice work, some images heavily retouched....they work on images sometimes for weeks to months at a time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 03:01 PM

KR1156,

Thanks for sharing that site. I really like the effect that is presented. It is just a look, like many others, that I like and wish I technically could create. Many of us like to enhance or create a photo for various reasons. Personally, I take sports shots and I must be able to provide a product that the general parent can't achieve with their Digital Rebel. Plus I just enjoy it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2006, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellby
The fashion and advertising world is all fiction. We are not going to stop retouching, and designers and art directors are not going to stop coming up with big campaigns to sell products.
Isn't that the truth. As a professional photographer I'm continually amazed at how far we're expected to take an image to meet a client's perception of beauty. I have to just let go and allow the image to become the client's. I do all my own retouching, but seldom to my taste.

Here's a recent shot.

And a rough final. The whites of her eyes will come back down and her teeth will be whitened. This is just to show the skin to my client.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2006, 05:10 AM

KC - that is very nice retouching. She is pretty but still natural.
Is this retouching included in a package? Or is this an add on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2006, 12:37 PM

shelby,

i hate playing the bad guy here, but i'm sure at least one of those images, if not more, are copyrighted images. if you dont have the copyright or dont have permmissions, then you need to remove them. if you do, then great.

i dont want to kill the thread, but maybe you can replace the copyrighted ones with freebies that would give similar examples. and where i'm no copyright lawyer, maybe you can use small parts of the images as examples, much like it's ok to quote a part of a book for learning purposes. doug would be the final authority on this.

for me, personally, i consider this site as a learning site and find no real objection if the images, or at least partial images, are used for that purpose, but i've questioned doug on this in the past and he's pretty adamant about not using any copyrighted/no permissions type images. so, if you wish to appeal this, talk to doug. otherwise, please remove any that you dont hold the copyrights to or dont have specific permission to use. i also know that doug has deleted one or two recent threads over this isssue. and like i say, i'd rather not delete the whole thread. it's a good thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2006, 01:50 PM

I like this style...but does anybody know about this technique?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Passion07.jpg (77.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Passion06.jpg (91.5 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching