RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What retouching "styles" do you like?

Old 12-03-2006, 06:32 AM

What retouching "styles" do you like?

Do you have a style?

What kinds of retouching styles do you like?

Everyone has an opinion and I thought it may be nice to see what different people think.

I am attached some images that take my fancy...

Some may be lacking detail, as discussed in a previous thread, due to the small file sizes.

I really like the highlights on some of the more fantasy looking ones...

Last edited by shellby; 12-08-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 07:53 AM

Re: What retouching "styles" do you like?

nice lighting on the 3rd one (dior add) like the colors ,and facial light

zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 08:00 AM

Flip side of the coin...... take into consideration that when a woman spends good money on a perfume or other cosmetic she is purse poor, but what is that doing to her confidence? She buys something based on advertising that looks glamourous, so she in herself 'feels' more glamourous which in turn will boost her ego and her outlook of herself and the way she projects herself to others, I think there is a place for unrealistic images lacking true details such as pores etc., nobody likes to identify with the frumpy housewife, and the purchase of a glamourous looking cosmetic can be the difference in attitude and outward appearance which makes the difference, maybe a bit of placebo affect
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 08:05 AM

Most folks here know I'm not big on retouching. I guess because I look at these retouched women in high fashion ads and they just look fake to me. Flawless skin, perfect teeth, perfect makeup, and blank stares into the camera lense. The whole concept just turns me off. The whole realm of haute couture is foreign to me. It never was a part of my formative years. I never "needed" to have the latest in fashion, makeup, jewelery, whatever.

I always felt that the entire fashion world and the ad agencies that promoted a "look or style" was controled by men who hated women. (I know that's pretty deep psycologically, but it makes sense to me on a practical level).

I don't care how perfectly a body is proportioned, I've never seen a woman (or young girl) that looked good in low cut jeans or pants! It's just not a flattering style.

Off my soap box. :-)

As for the above photos, 1 and 2 fake skin, 3 oversized over glossed lips, 4 bad color (too much green), 5 I don't get it. Might be good for a sci-fi fantasy poster.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 08:10 AM

Swampy I agree whole heartedly with you however, I do recognise that many women do lack a sense of self and confidence and so need the placebo affect of cosmetics and jewellery to increase their personal worth. The unrealistic advertising whilst is does great damage to many, also assists many to feel and exhibit enhanced confidence in themselves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 08:42 AM

Hey, Cass... If a touch of the latest scent or lip gloss makes a woman feel better about herself, I have no problem. I can get a lift from a new outfit or haircut, but the danger lies in believing that "style" will resolve all issues or that one is not "complete" without the "it" trend.

I've known so many women in my lifetime that just had to have the latest, greatest, best that the fashion world puts out there and yet they remain shallow, dull, phoney people. To me the trick is to be able to "wear the fashion of the day", but not be affected by it. I'm even more impressed by women who can set their own style and buck the trends and feel comfortable in that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 08:50 AM

I like them all. As I mentioned yesterday in another post, what stye I'd apply depends on the customer, what I strikes me creatively, and what I technically know how to do. What I'd find more intesting is a discussion on what approach one would make to achieve each of the above looks. What I enjoy in this forum is expanding my "tool-box".
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 08:51 AM

Ah Swampy, not all of us unfortunately are able to assess our own self worth and so assess ourselves by the barometer of others. Glad you are so self assured, as I believe I am too
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 08:57 AM

skydog, exactly, you are performing to a spec or a need

Swampy, if there was not the need, then the item as such, nor advertising would no longer exist, you only have to visit a mother's group to see how insecure and shallow they can be, fausting their purchases on the table to try and beat each other and judging others by the perfumes, jewellery and status that each has or percieves

Last edited by Cassidy; 12-03-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 09:12 AM

Artistically speaking I like them for the same reason that I like Picasso's cubist period: the aesthetics (color, form, technique...), not for the realism.

In these examples the artists used the faces of these women as canvasses to create the "look" that the customer was after. I'm ok with that.

I have, however, a problem with the message that they try to convey:
buy this ________ (fill in the blank...) and you will look like this.

My 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellby
Do you have a style?
What kinds of retouching styles do you like?
Everyone has an opinion and I thought it may be nice to see what different people think.
I am attached some images that take my fancy...
Some may be lacking detail, as discussed in a previous thread, due to the small file sizes.
I really like the highlights on some of the more fantasy looking ones...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching