RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Bumpy Skin Retouch Help!

Old 12-25-2006, 04:19 PM

Bumpy Skin Retouch Help!

This lovely young lady has a small bump about where every skin pore should be. On top of that she's broken out somewhat. I've attached an image of the photo before I began retouching and one after I worked on it with the Healing Tool. (PS-CS)

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to smooth out this girl's skin without making it look soft focused or otherwise blurred. I'm sure the answer is on the board somewhere, but I haven't been able to put my finger on it.

Thanks, - Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6144_before.jpg (58.7 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg 6144_after.jpg (58.5 KB, 428 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2006, 04:28 PM

Re: Bumpy Skin Retouch Help!

this is mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6144_before.jpg (91.6 KB, 386 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2006, 04:33 PM

That was fast! What did you do? I would like to apply that to my "after" image. - Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Patron

This technique may help you
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Patron

Really need to add noise.

My favorite noise filter for skin is Xero's Fuzzifier filter. Applied selectively, can be quite effective. I also did a bumpmap step (only ever so slightly) to add a somewhat skin texture. Byro also has a technique (degrunge) that is very effective. This one's my favorite though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6144_before.jpg (99.0 KB, 296 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2006, 09:25 PM

This technique is good for images that have small bright and dark areas adjacent to each other such as the 'bumps' on the persons forehead. It does not work well for large blemishes. For the technique to be useful, you must be reasonably adept with using a dodge/burn 50% gray overlay layer. The D/B layer is used for cleanup and final refinement. The High pass layer does the heavy lifting for the small blemishes so that there is not that much to do with the D/B. Of course a D/B layer could be used for the whole image, but I find that the D/B is tedius if very dark and very light areas have to be treated. Especially if they are small and adjacent.

1.Clone/stamp any large blemishes away on a duplicate layer. In this image there were none large enough to worry about.

2.Make a duplicate of the clone/stamp layer and run the High pass filter on it. Run the radius up enough so that the dark and light blemishes stand out. For this image a radius of 8.0 was used. See attachment 1.

3.Set the HP layer to linear light and invert. Attachment 2. Note the very dark spots have become very light and the very light very dark.

4.Add a hide all mask to the HP layer. With a small, about the size of the small blemishes, white brush, opacity about 20%, dab over the blemishes until they blend in. Attachment 3. Note that there may be small light gray areas and the image will look slightly splotchy.

5.Clean up on the D/B layer. For the gray areas, use a very small white brush, and dab the area. The idea is to stipple the area so that it introduces a little texture. Attachment 4.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (98.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (97.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (94.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (94.4 KB, 308 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2006, 09:37 PM

Hi there

I assumed you wanted to keep texture and pores.

I first used the healing brush to remove some of the worst bumps.

I duplicated a layer and produced a pore mask with a highpass filter and turned the visibility off.

Then degrundge with a 15 highpass and 5 blur... masked as needed.

Stamped a layer set the blend mode to screen and applied gaussian blur at 10 pixels. Reduced opacity to around 70 I believe then duplicated and changed the dups mode to multiply. I grouped the screen and multiply layers and applied a mask to remove from eyes.

Turned on the pore mask and adjusted opacity as needed. Then sharpened.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6144_before.jpg (97.4 KB, 326 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2006, 09:41 PM

Hey Larry...we must have been typing at the same time

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2006, 09:54 PM

Try duplicating your bkg layer 2 times. On the top layer run a highpass at 1.5 and set to overlay. Middle layer gausian blur by 20. Make a layer mask on the blur layer and paint black on the layer mask in the areas of the eye, eyebrow and hair in the upper left. Use different opacities when painting to reveal original detail to your likeing. It is a quick fix anyway. Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6144_dv.jpg (94.1 KB, 259 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2006, 11:04 PM

Here is a degrunge version for comparison with my previous post. I would use this version if I were looking for 'effect' and the previous version for a more normal retouch.

Degrunge:

1.Duplicate background.

2.High pass, radius 8.0. Opacity 50%, linear light, invert. Gaussian blur about 2.7. On duplicate.

3.Hide all mask on dup. Paint skin back with white brush, full opacity. Do not paint eyes or eyebrows. Attachment 1. Does not look good to me. Needs work.

4.D/B layer. At high mag, clean up small poors. The ones that look like white circle surrounded by a black ring. Lower mag, even out splotchy skin tones. There is quite a bit of work here, nothing was gained time wise by the degrunge over the other method. Attachment 2.

5.Stamp layers, Ctl-Alt-Shift-N-E (ver 7, different in latter versions), from top of layer stack. This creates a new layer which is contains all the work of the layers beneath it.

6.Run High pass on stamp layer, radius 8.0, same as original High pass. Note that you cannot use the original High pass layer, it contains the imperfections that you removed with the D/B layer. The imperfections would be emphasized. Change mode to soft light. This is a sharpening step, adds snap to the skin. Attachment 3, final version.

Larry

Hey Butch! Are you still typing? I am still at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (93.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (93.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (96.0 KB, 266 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching