RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouch photo / remove hair, HELP!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:44 AM

Re: Retouch photo / remove hair, HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy
Are you looking to reduce the hair or totally de-nude the arm?

As a suggestion, I did a copy of the background layer, did a highpass filter on the image so it sharpened up the arm hairs and then inverted this filter. Set the blending mode to luminosity and reduced the opacity quite a bit until I got something that looked ok. Using a black mask, painted only over the areas I wanted to reduce. To remove the outer hairs which appear against the background, I just cloned the background areas onto a new layer.
Hello Cassidy!

Yeah, i want remove all hair - but without its looks fake!

Im about to try your tips now, i´ll keep you updated =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2007, 03:25 AM

Hello again!

Ivé tried to follow cassidy´s advice, but i cant get it to look any good

I cant wait for topretouch´s answer how he did it, he also adjusted the skin so it looks tanned and nice.

I have uploaded my work here as a .psd, ive removed all blemishes etc, deleted the back. So its just the hair and the skin tone that i have left - but ill still trying!

http://www.tobbe13.com/Martin_Back_Edited.zip
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 AM

Hey, first off topretouch is a woman. LOL I do all editing in paintshop. I am a pageant retoucher. Haven't mastered PhotoShop yet. I wish, one day I would get the courage and time. Any way what I did was
duplicate the background. Laso the part of the arm I was working with. Go to the background layer, gausin blur it to about 12 or so, till I couldnt see the hair anylonger. Go to the duplicate layer, sharpen it till I was satisfied then lowerd the opacity to that about to 42%. Then unselected it all. Merged the layers. Cloned a little bit until I was satisfied with the look. As far as making him tan, i pretty much used curves Hope this helps. I hope to get into more retouching like this in the future.
Thanks
DeeDee(topretouch)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2007, 06:12 AM

Sometimes we can be too clever by half and looking at the original, the method I suggested doesn't work as well. I did the same as I suggested but instead of making the blending mode luminosity, I chose linear light as it did a better job. The Highpass setting was 19.6 and the opacity of the highpass layer with mask was 51%. As this removed pretty much all the texture, I copied a portion of the skin off the back (lighter part), using transform enlarged it and then using a mask gently painted the texture over the top using a 25ish opacity setting on the brush and restoring less of the texture to the wrist as opposed to the rest of the arm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot003.jpg (18.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot002.jpg (7.6 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topretouch
Hey, first off topretouch is a woman. LOL I do all editing in paintshop. I am a pageant retoucher. Haven't mastered PhotoShop yet. I wish, one day I would get the courage and time. Any way what I did was
duplicate the background. Laso the part of the arm I was working with. Go to the background layer, gausin blur it to about 12 or so, till I couldnt see the hair anylonger. Go to the duplicate layer, sharpen it till I was satisfied then lowerd the opacity to that about to 42%. Then unselected it all. Merged the layers. Cloned a little bit until I was satisfied with the look. As far as making him tan, i pretty much used curves Hope this helps. I hope to get into more retouching like this in the future.
Thanks
DeeDee(topretouch)
Hey!

Im so sorry about that DeeDee

Thanks alot for sharing your info, i´ll try to use the same techique in PSP now and see how it works

I´ll keep you posted!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy
Sometimes we can be too clever by half and looking at the original, the method I suggested doesn't work as well. I did the same as I suggested but instead of making the blending mode luminosity, I chose linear light as it did a better job. The Highpass setting was 19.6 and the opacity of the highpass layer with mask was 51%. As this removed pretty much all the texture, I copied a portion of the skin off the back (lighter part), using transform enlarged it and then using a mask gently painted the texture over the top using a 25ish opacity setting on the brush and restoring less of the texture to the wrist as opposed to the rest of the arm
Hello Cassidy!

I tried the new suggestions with alot better result! Thanks alot!
Altough im not skilled enough i think Becuse i cant get it to look "natural". A really hard part is the dark space between the underarm and the forearm i think.

If its possible and you want, do you (or someone else) can share the PSD with all the layers so i can understand what i do wrong

Thanks alot again everybody for helping a rookie like me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martin_Back_Edited_2.jpg (97.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Martin_Back_Edited_2_zoom.jpg (33.0 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 AM

Can you give me an addy to post to?.... don't entirely discount natural shadows either
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2007, 12:49 AM

Heya!

I have now looked at your work cassidy, i see that i have done almost the same as u did. The hard thing is to get it look natural and not to blurry and so.
Ivé now decided to keep some of the hair, think it looks the best!

Thanks alot for the help! I really like when people are so friendly and helpful!
Special thanks to Cassidy

Over and out!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching