RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Getting White Balance Right?

Old 01-12-2007, 10:54 PM

Re: Getting White Balance Right?

i used auto color and auto levels. then selected the highlights and copied them to a new layer set blending mode to multiply. this is what i came up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0061.jpg (97.6 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 PM

Look at the skin near the pearl necklace. In your retouch of the original, the skin is neutral on the yellow/blue axis in alot of places, and is actually tending toward blue in some places. All through, its showing about 5 in the A channel of LAB. So you have skin that is pure magenta in some areas, and slightly leaning toward purple in others. That can't be right.

Your retouch of my version is better, but it still has much stronger magenta than yellow. That would never happen for any person, and especially not someone with this coloring. For a scaled back version of what I did, this might work. I took the original curves that I did, and pulled them back by lowering the slope of the A and B channels. I still don't think this is perfect, but it does address the white balance issue (the white balance here is the same as in my earlier version, but the colors are a little more muted).

Of course, I don't claim to be either a photographer or a graphic designer, so YMMV.

Oh, and on the issue of whether anything was done with the original, the OP answered that already. In the RAW processing, he set the white balance on the dress. Since the dress isn't white, that is the cause of the trouble here. And then as a general matter, any picture that started as RAW and is now JPG has gone through some conversion. A RAW picture must be interpreted before anyone can see it, and the interpretation itself is some "work" on the file.
Duffy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0061a.jpg (81.0 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Duffy Pratt; 01-12-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2007, 05:45 AM

I also use threshold adjustment layer.but you have to setup your levels eyedroppers to the right colors or i dont think it will work great
in the attachment I left where i find the white point and black point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0061 copy.jpg (46.2 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2007, 05:51 AM

sorry the points did not show up here I marked them

zganie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0061 copy.jpg (47.5 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2007, 07:03 AM

Hi Duffy, you're right in some aspects but as I said I made a QUICK retouch, that's not what I would present to my clients, it was only a way to show that if you don't have a really white point in your image you can still get a nice balance, the method that I used from the original is one that more experience retouchers do (I not include myself in that list!!!) and I think that it has great results sometimes, of course the final image should be retouch in more than 2 min. as I did both.

sorry if anyone missundestood me I wasn't trying to explain a great retouch, just a QUICK one.

silvia.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching