RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Jillian's Thread

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:33 AM

Re: Jillian's Thread

Congrats on the 97% for your Women's Studies Project
Old 01-15-2007, 01:38 AM

Generically speaking, I did the following:

1. Pincushion distortion added to undo the barrel distortion look from such a close perspective.
2. Used shadow/highlight tool to bring up the shadows slightly (I like portraits with a little less contrast).
3. Curve that is slightly pushed down near the highlights to make them a bit less harsh and bring out textures there.
4. Some of the degrunge method followed by some healing to smooth the skin
5. Boost saturation of the eyes and hair
6. As is typical with many brands of P&S cameras (Canon comes to mind), the shadows lose all color information, so I copied/pasted the left eye onto the right eye and adjusted brightness to sort of match.
7. Color balance to warm things up a bit--also could use a warming photo filter.
8. Added a levels adj layer with multiply blend mode. Applied a radial gradient mask to darken the edges softly--brings more attention to the subject.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f_013i_6027m_7b45b563_adj.jpg (80.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 01-15-2007, 07:02 AM

Craig:
Good morning Craig!
Thank you for posting here. It really started my day off with a bit more hope for this site. As far as the comments (from before) I just let them roll of my back. But, if they occur again, I won't let them slide.
I remembered this site as a positive and constructive site, and due to this I returned. Though things started off with a bump I have recieved LOTS of help (Kerry and Bart thank you both!). Getting back on my feet will take some time, so I thought to discover the world of retouching photos.
What program would you suggest I look into. As a beginner I'm not ready to purchase an expensive program. Just something to dip my toes in. I have a photoshop CD somewhere. It's about 2 years old and that should work. I never knew what all the honking buttons where. So perhaps today I will search for that CD and follow up with some questions on here later.
I will look into the art forum as I don't want to come off as wanting freebies.
Helping others with their skills, and aquiring (sp?) some myself is the whole point behind this.
Cassidy:
Thanks! We really worked down to the last second to make sure everything was running smoothly. And our message, and everyone's help made that 97% come true!
Bart:
Thanks for your addition to this thread. Your step by step instructions will be extremely helpful onces I get some sort of program running. What program did you use. And the photo itself is amazing! After reading what you did I can appreciate every step you did. Some suggestions for another photo would be great. I'm not handy with the camera really (it's new and has far too many buttons).
Everyone:
If there is a photo that you thought was perfect for retouching based on the lighting and the quality I would be pleased as punch if you could add the link to this site and I can attempt to get the same quality photo.
If anyone would like to practice further please don't hesitate. I always check the site for updates, mine and others. So it's up to you.

Jillian
Old 01-15-2007, 07:15 AM

Jillian, if you have a 2 yo photoshop, then that's pretty current, maybe do a bit of searching on the web for help and instructions, also consult the help file. Don't know if there is still a free 24 hour access to www.lynda.com (online progressive video tutorials), but that is worth a try once you get a program installed to have a play with. Some handy video tutorials can be found at http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html
These are mainly photoshop oriented
Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 AM

New motivation to find that darn CD!
Thanks for your direction I'll be sure you get back to you on my progress
Misson: Find la CD
Old 01-15-2007, 07:25 AM

Jillian
Craig has given you some sound advice, have a look through some of the threads in the art forum there are some excellent ones there and should you post some photo's there you will get some great and interesting results, ( sometimes not always what you would expect)
I was also going to add while recuperrating you could have a bash at using some software find your old cd out and load it, or i believe Gimp is a free download ( ikroll is the expert on that one and he is very helpful) the time will fly for you then and you will have had fun into the bargain.
Also could i put a different take on what has been said previously Jillian may not have posted any "attempts" but if i remember rightly she commented on everything anyone done ( not many of us can say that ) and as she is not familiar with any of the techniques that may be a unbiased opinion ? seen from a different angle !
Ultimately the choice is ours to have a go at a photo or not
well i have chose to, just messing around with cspringers illustrated look again might get there one day
Jillian i think it happened before as well as now have messed around with the amount of beauty spots sorry

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f_013i_6027m_7b45b563.jpg (76.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-15-2007, 01:51 PM

On the ... spot
Hey! This is a great version of the photo. I love how you kept the texture of the sweater I was wearing rough, and then smoothed out my face. I look like a diva! (That's a good need no need to fret)
I was actually made aware of GIMP 5 minutes ago and am all over the downloading process like a dirty shirt.
Art forum:
I'm starting slow in that section and just posted to see if anyone would be interested in playing around with some photos and so on. I think it would be a great learning experience and it's a blast to mess around with photos. I mean, hello! I've been playing in PAINT BRUSH all this time! That takes pactience and talent folks!
Anyways! I'm off to d/l some fun.
I'll be back on later inquiring about GIMP and what button does what
Thanks you guys! This day is so much better that yesterday!
Jillian
Old 01-15-2007, 02:37 PM

I don't know if you deserved the cold welcome you received or not but I will add my work here for now. I use Photoshop's Elements 2 so you don't need the latest and greatest from Adobe to make some great images. And the addition of two free plug-ins Impressionist and optic Verve Labs -Virtual Photographer greatly expand photoshops abilities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jillian's djr Oil + Crayon short chopy strokes copy.jpg (76.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-15-2007, 02:50 PM

Jillian, most of us all learned on our own, with some seminars or classes along the way, but you can't learn without DOING. Reading how someone here did something, or reading a tutorial (there are many of them on this website and all over the internet) doesn't help you learn until you actually open up a program and start practicing it yourself.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:17 PM

That only makes sense... I did mention that I'm downloading a could programs at the moment and moment's away from DOING!! Hold me BACK!
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching