RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Jillian's Thread

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Re: Jillian's Thread

Well if I would have known an image was going to be used on her myspace account, I would have ripped her head off too "NOT" . Come on guys, she posted some free material for anybody to work on, and used 1 or 2 of the (LOW RES) results on her myspace site. It's not as if she's making or gaining anything from it. We are talking a myspace site here, not Vogue
Do you honestly think I would comment without checking things out for myself. I had seen all the posts here, sites, other forums and msn profile before saying anything. I'm not as dumb as I look as a few people here have found out.
Ever thought that the creator of the images, may find it a complement to have it used (with or without credit being given) ? I share my photos, and although credit would be nice, it's rare I get it. But I can sit back proud as punch that one of my photos had value to someone.
Like I said before, jillian has at least contributed something to the forum. Where as 10's of 1000's of others give nothing at all. Everybody is entitled to their opinion on another member. And if those of you that feel someone is using you to get freebies (or what ever,) you have the option not to help them.
Think it's about time people chilled out a little. I know my Guinness is chilling me out right now
Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 PM

well, i am appalled at such an ill treatment of a member of RP, at least by three people, ying, joey and miguel. what seem to be otherwise good, contributing members, suddenly became snide, vindictive, rude, and aggressively cruel individuals. this always amazes me when i see it.

jillian came here, posted some images and asked for help. and folks helped. no one that i can recall in those first posts made an issue, or at least much of an issue, out of this request. good work was done and jillian always responded with courtesy and enthusiasm. i do recall that i mentioned she shld post in the art forum so as to avoid any controversy with the site policies on 'freebies', which she did.

her project was finished and jillian went away for a while. she returns and meets with vitriol from three people, which seemed extremely unwarranted. that jillian may have broken some rules on the site was rather minor. that she had pulled her posts was surprising, but certainly not warranting such cruel remarks as i've seen here. that she may have posted some images done here with no credit given is disappointing, but hardly earth-shaking and deserving of such an abusive response.

that jillian may or may not have other faults is irrelevent and certainly not deserving of such a public, personal bashing. and it's the personal attacks that i find most disconcerting here. had some action been criticized, fine. had a site policy violation been cited, fine. but attacks on her person or anyone's, will always be met with the same way. YOU end up as the 'bad guy', not the one you're attacking. ying's post i simply deleted and sent a copy to doug and other moderators. doug can do, or not, what he chooses with that one.

and i'm not here to censor anyone. i hate playing 'internet cop'. but personal attacks, invalidations, flames and all that ilk will always be deleted, with copies sent to doug. if you have an objection with someone or someone's posts or wish to note some policy violation, i expect it to be done in a civil manner. even criticisms of an action or work can always be done in a civil manner. there is no need for cruel, snide, overt or covert remarks and hostility.

so, the choice is yours and always has been. treat others with at least a modicum of courtesy and you'll be treated the same by me. treat them with derision and ill manners and you may find yourself being seen as the one that needs attention rather than the one you're posting about. so, i'm really not telling you how you must act; i'm just saying that certain actions will warrant certain responses.

now, i no doubt dont have all of the story on this either. likely there have been pm's or emails i'm not aware of. and if anyone cares to share some of this with me, send me a pm.

i will also leave this thread open for a couple of days and then, likely close it.

and just to add a bit of irony to this, i'm surprised no one even picked up on the jillian project itself. here was a person going to do a bit of a tattle-tale on retouching and asking retouchers to do the work. had you attacked that, i would not have minded so much. but the vehemence of the personal attacks just could not be let go. so, say your piece, if you wish, but otherwise i'm closing this thread.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:20 PM

Thank god I'm not the only one who thought this was a disgusting way to treat a new member of a forum, who has done nothing to warrant it .

I can scream, shout and fight with the best of them on forums, but this was unjustifiable in anybodies book.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM

Craig
Close it now this is over with I hope - not good reading at all, and not in the spirit of this site.

Peter
Old 01-17-2007, 07:02 PM

I rarely post here but I've been reading here for 4 years and I've always been impressed with the community here.
I posted to this thread because I thought the good people here were being taken advantage.
If JW wanted some free retouching, why not ask?
It was all the excuses and what I thought was untruths about GIMP, 8-day trial, Photoshop CD, download.com, plug-ins, being bedridden.... Every post was to me another whopper.
I saw good folks trying to work with this person and I thought they were being conned. This was so obvious to me. That was my "violin" post.
So, that's why I posted the way I did.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:57 PM

Thank you for explaining your intentions joey, I now have a somewhat better impression of you.

Your intentions may have been good but you went about things in a very degrading fashion.
As a result I viewed you in a very negative light.

As a six month member it was very clear with the first 4 or 5 post by long time members that this could be an iffy thread in which to contribute. It should be up to each and every member to decide if they will give someone who has done things that others question whether or not to interact with them.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:24 AM

I have felt the anger, believe me! It is hard to hold it back sometimes.

We have the right to feel the anger, but we are guests in someone else's home, and we are in public -- even though we are sitting home alone in front of the computer. We are allowed to state the offense; we are allowed to state that it was inappropriate behavior -- but we have to try to say it in an appropriate manner because we are in public, in someone else's home.

But we can mutter to ourselves what we really think. (mutter, #&*%!, mutter, mutter)

The OP keeps checking in to see the number of views tick...tick...tick upwards. Attention was desired, and attention was given.

But the rest of us are still doing what we love to do, and enjoying it -- that makes me less angry.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:41 AM

I find this all a little bizarre. I'm all for protecting members of any forum, and looking out for each other. But what I see here is an assumption that a few members think they know a person, after only a few posts. Or that a few members have taken the time to do research in to a new member, in order to try and prove a point. Now I admit I kept my gob shut in this thread, until I had looked in to it myself. I checked out Jillian (not just here, but on many sites) and found absolutely nothing that would make me jump on the band waggon and hound her off RP (and that is exactly what is happening here, nothing more, nothing less). In fact I found quite the oposite to what some people are saying about her here.

No matter what faults someone may or may not have is not an issue here. Online harassment on a forum (that is supposed to be a friendly) is the issue. If anybody had a genuine problem with Jillians posts/attitude/things she said/things she did, there is a report to mod button or PM system. There you are free to voice your personal opinions/concerns, without starting a public lynching.
I've started off on the wrong foot on many forums. But in most cases I've been pointed in the right direction. On one I became one of the main contributers to it, despite having a really good screaming match with the forum admin when I first joined.
If Jillian was such a user and abuser of public forums/members resources, and was only out for "attention" , why is it that she is a valued member of other forums and acts as a mod?
The saying "Two sets of eyes is always better than one" comes to mind. What some people see in a person, may be different to what others do.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:41 AM

This thread could go on forever with each individual reiterating and defending their stand on this matter. I have my own opinion on this matter but have kept it to myself for the very reason of what has happened here. If you think someone is using the forum to their own end, you don't need to participate...ignore it or report it. There are those here that are glad of a few pictures to be able to work on...let them. If that person keeps coming back over and over (and this is how this assumption came about Jillian, not that I'm saying she is a user mind you!), so be it...people should report it.

What I'm trying to say is let it be now and let this ugly thread die away...please.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:02 AM

yup. the thread is beat to death. i did want to give anyone a chance to respond to my post, but i think that might best be done by pm now. let's get back to the business of RP.

i'd appreciate this whole thing not be re-opened in another thread. just pm me if you really feel compelled to say something else on it.

thread closed.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching