RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching

Old 01-17-2007, 09:06 PM

Retouching

For a general retouch (not glamour) would you straighen and fix a person's teeth without their request? How much retouch is too much? I removed the bags under the eyes, removed the lines around the eyes and mouth, and lighened the teeth and eyes, but that's it. Comments...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 12:45 AM

Re: Retouching

I think you've done well as I wouldn't personally make any actual changes to their appearance without specific instructions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog
For a general retouch (not glamour) would you straighen and fix a person's teeth without their request? How much retouch is too much? I removed the bags under the eyes, removed the lines around the eyes and mouth, and lighened the teeth and eyes, but that's it. Comments...
Since my primary job is not in graphics and retouching (though I plan to in future if I ever get good enough) I discuss with persons whose photos I'm tinkering with what THEY want done. I will ask them pertinent and pointed questions (like the teeth straightening bit) and will get direct answers.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 01:26 AM

I usually don't spend more than 5 mins for this kind of retouching. I tend not to remove the eye bags and crow's feet. I just soften the effect with the stamp tool with the mode set to Lighten. Here's a list of things that I'd look for when doing this kind of work.

-Remove blemishes
-Reduce shines
-Reduce eye bags and shadows
-Lighten/whiten teeth a bit
-Remove obvious flyaway hair

The method is destructive. That's why I keep it quick so I don't over retouch and keep the subjects as natural as possible. Anything that'll alter their appearance is done upon request.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 05:29 AM

My experience tells me :
Never assume you know what a customer wants retouched.
Never ask questions that imply retouching is needed.
A better plan would be to include a list of your standard retouching services when discussing print sales and options.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 AM

I agree with Vikki, however, I just recently had a retouch and just made the slighest change to one tooth. She didn't notice, or didn't say anything, and neither did I! I think just that little touch made a differnece in the whole photo. The client was more than happy with the retouch and that was all that counted.

~Nancy~

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 04:39 PM

Well, working digitally and hard drive space being limitless, you could save a version of retouch-lite, retouch-more, teeth done, etc.
Or just have certain things on layers that you could show a client: teeth on, teeth off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Never ask questions that imply retouching is needed. ...
Things are a bit easier around here (Brazil).
Retouching is the first thing the client wants to talk about - Straighten this, remove that, hide the other etc.. etc.. etc..

Probably a regional difference, but when someone says "retouching" it is immediately linked with Playboy et al....
So, unless the client has insisted (and some do), the norm is to deliver a somewhat "optimized" version of the original.

..But none of this applies to you - so just follow Vikki's advice.

(BTW "Restoration" means - photo taken yesterday)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Most people want the skin smoothed a little (not maxim glow), double chins mellowed (not gone), blemishes erased, a little teeth and eye lightening (not white), (everything done but not noticable) It should look like that person could have looked a week ago. Anything that somebody could notice, a mole removal or nose reduction or ears pined back should be discussed...I'd fix a chipped tooth.

Lasa
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 PM

These are the teeth. Lipstick is true to color. Maybe I whiten the teeth too white...maybe. As far as the teeth I left them alone, so I gather from your feedback I did the right thing. If she did want the teeth fixed, how would one start?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teeth.jpg (39.3 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching