RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

From snapshot to portraiture - Is it possible?

Old 01-20-2007, 02:00 PM

Re: From snapshot to portraiture - Is it possible?

Thank you, CJ.... Caden is our oldest grandbaby (3 yrs) and thinks I'm his toy.... even drags me around around the house like one......

Thanks for the info. about getting a head/shoulders shot..... it not only gives me practical tips for capturing a nice shot but the feedback has helped me understand some things about my perception.

I'm seeing that I want to create a feeling in the person looking at my "photography". Until you said you loved the sneaker photo .... it could become a treasure in years to come... a special moment captured in a funny way....... I had only kept it because it was what that day was, fun! Nothing pretty about the shot for sure..... big ole' tennis shoes..... half of a face.....

I had thought the emotions I felt when looking at someone's work was due to some technique, film or camera..... I didn't get that it is the capturing of the moment (whatever moment) that means most to me....... I now realize I liked the school photo because it captured Caden's serious side without him looking angry........ WOW, what clarity now ........ I CAN SEE ...... I'M HEALED ....... hehehe ..... but seriously, it does feel good to be able to get to the root of this thing....... thank you, CJ...... oxoxo!

I also see I needed to post this in a different thread....... but if I had, Craig might never have seen it.........

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 02:50 PM

well it's possible to get som enice portraits out of these cameras the only flaw is that the noise ratios is much higher and resolution on big size isn't good...

here is my try
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gtt.jpg (99.8 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 06:56 PM

I gave this one a try. Contrast was a bit off, and the skin tones were too strong in both cyan and magenta. All it takes are some fairly simple curves to fix that. The mystery to me in this shot is what color the sweatshirt is. I decided its not black, and probably some deep greem. But it's very hard to tell, and I thought it would be a mistake to set a black point on it.

I think you have a good start. Practice more, think about what you are doing and what you want to see, and you can do very nice work with what you have.

Duffy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-copy.jpg (78.5 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 07:09 PM

Thanks superkoax and Duffy....... Duffy, his shirt is supposed to be navy blue... but I'm thinking about somehow trying to stop this thread because very kind people, like yourselves, are taking time to correct this photo and I realized along the way in this thread, that my question was probably more suited for a photography thread......

I truly appreciate the results and instructions from everyone and knew I would be able to tap into a wealth of talent, knowledge and experience..... but I feel like I wasted it all with the wrong question...... that'll teach me to run it by my hubby before I post it......

Still...... I liked seeing my little fellow through others eyes....

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 10:15 PM

beth

when you first posted 'numbat' i thought you were making it up, which is why i had to look it up. so, i had a bit of a chuckle also and you already know i love your wit

and cj, you're welcome

so, in appreciation of beth falling in love with me (do let your hubby down gently), here's one possible rendition which might handle what crop to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caden-4-1-k-1h.jpg (91.3 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 04:04 AM

Craig..... your rendition is beautiful, thank you! And I'd like to respond to your comment about thinking I'd ever make up something...... after I declared my love and everything......... oh, the "humanity".........

(play like I'm Emily Dickinson when you read this)....

Could I e'er mislead you
Yes, of course I could
When all the grains of sand are counted
Yes, that is when I would....

Could I crush the one I love
Yes, in fact, tis so
When the Malabar Thrush has lost it's song
Yes, that is when you'll know...

Could I forgive rejection
Yes, for I've known that
But a slight for cause of homeliness sake
And that'd be Numbat's !

Mike and I laughed thinking that it looked like God put a big ol' too-heavy-at-the-hem, striped sweater on him ...... then, as He was making a plain old tail, right at the end thought..... naw, I'll hurry up and put a puff there.... and it must have been getting late cuz He just used some leftover regular ears He had laying around.....

Oh yeah, Mike said I get to keep you........ ....... man, I always get goofy when it's this late/early ......

oxoxo
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 10:07 AM

beth, thank you

well, you'll have to forgive me. when i first read 'emily dickinson' i was thinking 'emily post' and thought you were correcting my grammar or etiquette and i couldnt quite figure out what a numbat had to do with manners. i think i've got it now, though. nice poem!

actually, when you stop and think about all the oddball animals in australia, i think God was either playing a large joke or quite drunk. or maybe that's where he practiced. it does sort of remind me of some of my work in psp.

well, not having ever spoken to mike, i can still say that i think you made a good choice

oh, and have a look in the restoration forum. cj has posted a piece to work on that is apropo to this thread
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 10:57 AM

Craig, too funny...... Emily Post....... not your fault but rather the result of me being punch drunk. . . And Mike is still surprising me even after 34 yrs. of married life...... what a hoot, huh!

CJ was kind enough to email me some links that are helping me with the photography side of things...... I'll go take a look at that thread, thanks. This just opens up a whole new batch of photo phun!

oxox
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 11:03 AM

beth,

excellent... on all points mentioned
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 11:15 PM

Hi,
From snapshot to portraiture is possible!!!
Check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5731&rd=1&rd=1
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching