RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hair retouch

Old 01-21-2007, 09:10 AM

Hair retouch

What I want to do is put this person on a gray background. When I tried to create a mask I'm having problems removing the green that remain between the hair strains in area A. After applying the mask, I tried to desaturate the green channel, but that didn't seem to work. Also the light/reflection blew out parts of area B. I tried the healing tool and got so so results, but I think I can make this area better with a smaller brush. Need some guidance on A however, and any comments on B would be okay as well. thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair.jpg (89.8 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 09:41 AM

Re: Hair retouch

On the hair: have you tried working with the A channel in LAB. The hair should all be positive in the A channel (more magenta than green), and the background would be pretty strongly negative.

I opened the file, converted to LAB, applied the A to itself in overlay mode, then did the apply image overlay on A a second time, then boosted contrast with levels. I didn't do anything to clean up the mask, but I think this is moving in the right direction.

Duffy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair.jpg (73.2 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 10:34 AM

for the hair, a simple hue/sat seems to work. i simply picked the greens and moved them more towards the reds.

for the blown out area, clone and airbrush seem to work pretty well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair-1-k-1.jpg (95.2 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 AM

umm...I tried the hue/sat and didn't get good results...I'll try again. Lab mode is an area I need to grow in 07.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 10:57 AM

skydog,

attached is a screenshot of the hue/sat layer in psp 10. the red circles one of the things you move. that thing, whatever it's called, changes what color change affects what other color. the thing moves around the entire concentric rings as shown by the green arrow. the blue arrow shows a hue slider which also moves. by moving those two things, the slider and the ring thing, you can adjust the color changes. but, notice that i'm only working on the greens, as shown by the yellow circle.

so, i moved the ring thing up from its green position more into the yellows and slightly into the red. and i moved the hue slider from dead center over into the reds. so, the overall was something like going from green to reddish-yellow, but just with the green hues. you may notice the background color changed a bit also, but this seemed negligible so i didnt bother to mask anything.

i dont know how all that equates to photoshop's own hue/sat tool. but i'm sure they can do pretty much the same things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hue-sat-hair-1-k-1.jpg (94.5 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 11:24 AM

thanks...I use paint shop 9 as well. BTW...what is your final opionion regarding Paintshop 11?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 11:36 AM

I wish my ps had a "ring thingy"...lol
it's good to see that somebody else can't remember the name of of all these thing-a-ma-jigs...
Lasa
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 03:56 PM

Hi skydog

If you have your hair and gray background on different layers try making a loose feathered selection with the lasso around the edge of the hair encompassing the green hairs... Then use the match color command

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 04:37 PM

Hi Skydog

Copy the blue channel, then paste it into the green channel. Then use a selective color or hue/saturation adjustment layer to twk the color.

Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2007, 12:50 PM

skydog,

well, since i had all those computer problems for a couple of months there, i actually dont have psp 11 back on my computer at the moment. i'm using 10 at the moment. and frankly, i'm not real motivated to put 11 back on. it wasnt that big of an upgrade and there were only a couple of things i thought worthy. if you were going from 9 to 11, i'd say go ahead, but if going from 10 to 11, well, you might want to wait for the next one.

there was also one thing in 11 that seemed to be a degrade. i noticed that cloning and airbrushing and push/smudge seemed to not transition as well as they did in 10. it might just be a perception thing on my part or due to troubles with the computer, but it seemed to leave rather bad gradient transitions, especially with push/smudge. they just didnt seem to smooth out correctly like they did in 10.

i believe 11.1 is now out, though. so maybe it's better.

and lasa, yes, in my lexicon, 'ring thingy' is perfectly acceptable. i mean, you knew what i was talking about, right? and that's all that matters
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching