RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

So... no one is gonna upload that D&B tutorial, wth?

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:21 PM

So... no one is gonna upload that D&B tutorial, wth?

two years of requests and no one end up with a good step by step tutorial?

you all know who you are, we all know who they are.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:25 PM

Re: So... no one is gonna upload that D&B tutorial, wth?

OK
Old 02-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Patron

do you mean?
Buzz Drum n Bass Tutorial : Part 1/4??

Thats on another web site.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Dodge and Burn -- for skin

I have posted some links to tutorials recently, but the D&B tutorial writers here are busy doing their retouching work -- I'm sure they intend to post when they have time to get a tutorial done. If I knew how to do it well, I'd post, but instead I post links to those who do...

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1170442/1

"...There are three ways to approach skin retouching. The most common is to think like a plastic surgeon: you graft skin from a healthy area onto the problem spots and hope you can minimize the scars. But imperfections can also take the form of unwanted variations in dark and light areas. Rather than replacing an unwanted area, we dodge or burn the areas, lightening or darkening just enough to bring them into balance. Sometimes the problem is one of mismatched color, and we must find a way to exploit color correction techniques...." This article explains the dodge/burn process on a separate layer as well as other methods, and it does have photos.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 02-10-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added a link mentioned in post
Old 02-10-2007, 03:30 PM

NO, NO, NO, the first link is bad explained, hes another XXXXX, he doesnt wanna tell us anything, like people of this forum, they dont want to, theyre not busy, Busy to write or automaticaly capture from the screen while they work?, they are not busy when they upload their challenges to say -Look look my work, do you like it?-. AHHH, i so hate that., the first time i saw them saying they were going to upload something was on 2004/2005, since then, u both Cj and Sw have been waiting for it, like me and many others, AND LIKE THEM BEFORE KNOW THE METHOD.

thats not my kind of photography, i dont like manipulating pictures, i like real things, i can change the light , color..., never faces nor bodies, and i dont like working on those faces from dumb anorexic girls working for -such- companies, just to let you know they r not the kind of people who should register on forums likethis one(and others), if we all in the net were like that..... you would nt know photoshop, digital pix or flickr.

I am curious, just that, no more, and i'm curious because they wanted me to be it spreading their -LOOK WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH D&B-, -LEARN D&B- ........

Share and let share, or be quiet.

And thank you cj and Sw, you always so nice helping out... i know if you knew you would...

Edited for inappropriate language. This is a family forum, please remember this when you post.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 02-11-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM

gabrielitorha

This is not the place to be calling anyone names. I've been on this forum for about two years and I can't recall any of your posts. Many people drop in and out of this forum. Perhaps the person who promised a tutorial is no longer around? I don't know, but ranting about someone not uploading a tutorial is not acceptable to me.

No one is here to serve your needs or demands. I suggest you Google "Dodge and Burn Tutorial" and take your rants elsewhere.

Last edited by Swampy; 02-12-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:05 PM

Hi,

I've also tried to track down that tutorial.No luck.
Anyway, the info concerning d&b can be found in Kastrin Eismann's 3rd edition book on retouching & compositing.I do not have the book but the reviews seem to be very favorable.A good work around is to dup. layer, exclude everything but flesh, desat., change layer mode to luminosity or soft light, adjust opacity to your liking, apply s curve or use dodge and burn technique. Also, check out professional photoshop by Dan Margulis.

Take Care,
Old 02-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Patron

Ah...but Gabriel, you did not say the magic word
And why not throw down the gauntlet while you're at it- post an image for folks to play with, with an explanation of what you want to know/acheive with a request for detailed help/feedback/walkthroughs etc. Your thread will be like a customised tutorial.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:57 PM

not sure if this is what your are looking for but i did a google search and came up with this.
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=209
Old 02-10-2007, 10:38 PM

gabrielitorha, please do not use insulting words in your posts.

If you have been visiting this forum for years, you should know that we are a polite and friendly group of people who love to work on pictures. Only a few of the folks who post here work in the glamour industry where silky skin is expected, and those folks have given tips on achieving that look in a number of threads. From the links that I have already provided, and the threads already posted on this website, it appears that dodge/burn on a separate layer (either 50% gray set to overlay layer blending mode or simply an empty layer set to overlay or soft light blending mode) is simply a matter of many, many, many strokes of black and white to lighten dark areas and darken light areas to finally bring all the skin-tones together to look smooth and flawless. (One thread here has a dodge/burn layer uploaded by the person who did the before and after image. It looks very time consuming to me, but when you start off with a beautiful glamour model's photo shot by a professional photographer, perhaps it takes less time than when I try the look on a "regular" person's face.

Some people use Curves to achieve this -- see the link below quoting Heyrad.

We all share what we know with others here, and that includes some professionals who share information that is part of how they make their living -- they should be thanked for sharing instead of keeping it to themselves, which they have every right to want to do to protect their livelihood.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/114354-post7.html -- a post by Shellby quoting another member Heyrad's posted method for smoothing skin (search for Heyrad's posts for more info)

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/132722-post134.html TheVeed explains some settings.

Shellby's thread on highly polished skin -- there is a lot of reading to do in this thread and others regarding skin retouching -- some posts have info and some have questions, and there are disagreements on what looks best and what settings work best, but there is a lot of info available for anyone who is serious about improving their skills at working with skin textures.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...odge+softlight

I'm still looking for the post (and the thread) that included the before/after image of a woman's face with the added image of the dodge/burn layer showing the strokes that made the difference -- I downloaded the images and placed the d/b layer over the Before layer and the results were excellent. When I find it again, I'll post a link. We have a bunch of threads with the subject of skin -- I think the answers are all here -- just need to read and practice and read and practice, and ....

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 02-10-2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: keep adding links
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching