RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How would you edit this..(skin related)

Old 02-17-2007, 04:00 AM

How would you edit this..(skin related)

First: I saw this thread, http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213 and so far that seems to be the best method to me, doesnt take too long.

My MAIN concern here is finding the quickest method possible as I am doing a heavy load on a constant basis (60-80 in a row of the same model, next model repeat).

I edit sets of models (60-80 per set, 2 sets a day) so I am always trying to figure out new ways to process them faster. Thing is, I have to edit these at FULLSIZE, print/poster size. I have a good process down however this has been my biggest dilemma, ripples and discolored blotches mainly on the legs. The method I mostly use is patching but its a pain and can be very time consuming.

Here are two examples of what im talking about:

http://i12.tinypic.com/2uo18q0.jpg

http://i9.tinypic.com/2hnaxif.jpg

Also that is the exact size I am editing them at, just cut those sections out from the whole picture.

This is an example of the patching I did on the first image:

http://i12.tinypic.com/4de535h.jpg

Then I run them through a sharp process and it comes out the way we want it. It doesnt have to be THAT even but close or clean. So im wondering if anyone has any tips or methods for how to do that as quick as possible. The idea is to keep it as natural as possible (leaving texture) without the highly airbrushed totally smoothed over look....it needs to match with the rest of the skin. I also run into problems with this on the face (bad complexions) but obviously a face is easier and you dont get the discolored ripples.

Would greatly appreciate any tips, this has been a pain for about a year now and I just haven't found any other methods. The worst part is most of these are only used at a smaller websize and hardly any for print, but they all need to be done fullsize : /

Thanks, I will continue to search the site but wanted to get this out there as some of this work is a rush job.

Last edited by scott900; 02-17-2007 at 04:10 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2007, 04:26 AM

Re: How would you edit this..(skin related)

I'd say: Your prices are to low if you have to do 120 pics a day to make a living

Sorry but I make my living out of this and my advice to you is: Think it over, find new clients.

You can't charge the same for full size as you do for web.

just my two cents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2007, 04:32 AM

You're absolutely correct on that, however 2 a day M-F im averaging in the 50k/yr area so I have hung on to it, especially being able to work from home etc.. However the heavy edit stuff can take up to 6 - 7 hours a set and thats too intensive to do 2 a day, and I have been running into that alot lately.

That first link I posted is actually the best thing I have come across to date, just seeing what other ideas people might have.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2007, 06:16 AM

Ro is very good in skin manupulation but I have also a very good solution We use CPAC imaging pro this software do gives same result in 2 minutes. pirated version is also available
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2007, 07:27 AM

This tut ByRO is my ORACLE... Thanks ByRO i am allways your FAN
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213

Scott900, please
Can I use this image in my video-tutorial on
Clube do Photoshop ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2hnaxif111.jpg (58.7 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by crex; 02-17-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2007, 06:46 AM

The tutorial by Ro is very good, but I honestly recommend using a median filter, instead of a gaussian blur as mentioned in that tutorial.

The median filter will prevent bleed at the edges of high contrast and you won't get the problems mentioned in his tutorial.

As for speed, I've put this type of skin smoothing into an action. Click a button and it creates a folder set in which there is the median (blur) layer, then the high pass layer in overlay, and then automatically adds a hide mask to the folder set.

Simply paint the smoothing where you want... without worrying about edge details.

I've got three actions for this .... Low Res Smoothing, Medium Res Smoothing and a High res Smoothing. the only difference is the radius amount settings in each one.

PS: A Dust and Scratches filter on the high pass layers can do wonders too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2007, 08:04 AM

Maybe do one until you like it then wright an action for it ,then just run it
I am sure that would really speed things up.Theres lots of tutrials out there

zganie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching