RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Fashion retouch

Old 02-23-2007, 01:04 PM

Re: Fashion retouch

So here's my try.

This is going to sound harsh, but it seems like a number of the issues with the photograph are things you could have taken care of before the photograph was even taken. We all like to think Photoshop can work magic, and in some cases it can really do some amazing things, but I always say you can make a good photo great and a great photo outstanding, but you can't make an average photo outstanding (at least without a LOT of work). You really should have taken care of your eyebrows and applied a better foundation before taking the picture. Lip gloss and some clumpy eye lashes ain't gonna cut it except for the masochistic of us. I had a good 15 layers of corrections.

I can go into detail if anyone wants more of the specifics of what I did. Just let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amateur-Model.jpg (94.6 KB, 948 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madclark
So here's my try.

This is going to sound harsh, but it seems like a number of the issues with the photograph are things you could have taken care of before the photograph was even taken. We all like to think Photoshop can work magic, and in some cases it can really do some amazing things, but I always say you can make a good photo great and a great photo outstanding, but you can't make an average photo outstanding (at least without a LOT of work). You really should have taken care of your eyebrows and applied a better foundation before taking the picture. Lip gloss and some clumpy eye lashes ain't gonna cut it except for the masochistic of us. I had a good 15 layers of corrections.

I can go into detail if anyone wants more of the specifics of what I did. Just let me know.
Yes, I know. I'm aware of that. Hence the remark about getting my eyebrows waxed. I wasn't wearing any foundation, which I should have. But a little late now. So, it's just something to keep in mind in the future. I also think that you did mean to sound harsh, as I could have given the same "constructive" criticism in a much more polite way. But I appreciate it, none the less.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 06:35 PM

I'm sorry about sounding mean. Please understand it wasn't directed at you and I'm really glad you're working on your skills and I try to be supportive in this environment because we're all learning and growing. It's my cranky attitude and I apologize. :-)

However, you'll find, as you take on retouching more and more seriously, it's definitely an issue you're going to face. You'll be frustrated in that you could have done so much more, so much simpler, if only the subject was styled better or the photographer took a better shot in the first place. You'll have people that expect miracles, and if you put enough time in you could make some magic, but it's not an efficient workflow if you're doing 90% of the work to get a shot to look a certain way.

That's all, just some wisdom from someone a little further down the road. Happy retouching!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 PM

Thank you for letting me play (learn) with your photo.
Used liquify for eyebrows
Healing brush for skin
Blur with mask for powder
Curves to creat color and darken/highlight areas
Added eye lashes
Hope the "make up" colors are not too bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7261-web.jpg (96.4 KB, 751 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2007, 09:38 PM

Fixed those minor imperfections and also gave you a slight nose straigtening.

For some reason I couldn't download the giganto image from your link ... this is from the thumbnail.

Stosh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glam2.jpg (99.9 KB, 591 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2007, 04:20 AM

I actually just went at this before reading your list so it's interesting to see what I hit and missed... I saw a giganto image and got excited

>Less redness and pitmarks in my face.
-General healing brush for the pit marks. I work really small/detailed for this. I'm not sure about the redness you're concerned with.

>Make that little fat pudgy mark near my lips at the bottom of my cheek go away.
-Duplicate layer, make a curves adjustment to make it noticeably lighter, add a "hide all" mask (black) and paint in the lightness with white on the mask... I used this other place but not there so much.

>Fix my crazy eyebrows (need a wax.. meep).
-Cloning and healing brushes.

>Fix the hair that is all over the place above/beside my eyebrow.
-Cloning and healing - I didn't go as far as you'd like there I'd imagine, I was getting frustrated, moved on and didn't get back to it.

>Remove the little hair sticking out on the black background along my eyes/eyebrow area.
-Burn tool, hit highlights and midtones where you want to remove it. I kept the brow and lashes that are sticking out from the other side of the face.

>One of my fingernails is chipped, going to fix that too.
-Cloning and a little dodging. I think I hit every nail.

>Also, this one is more minor to me, but you'll notice my hair is lighter at the ends, I'm growing out many years of hair dying, but I wasn't sure of a good way to fix that.. Any tips?
-I would suggest trying the burn tool on midtones and maybe highlights. I thought your hair looked a little thin towards the bottom and the neckline was showing through so I tried to do some fill for that via careful cloning... and covered the tattoo just to see if I could pull that off decently.

I'm not happy with what I ended up with for skin texture in the hi-res version but it doesn't look as bad sized down. I usually don't try for crazier 'over the top' stuff because I usually just don't like those... or maybe it's because I'm not good enough
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7261_04_DG_DBw.jpg (99.5 KB, 445 views)

Last edited by videosean; 02-25-2007 at 04:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 AM

Well, you did say "feel free to do what you want!" Everyone here is much more capable of retouching your picture than I and they have presented some beautiful examples and tips on how they achieved their results.. I am impressed with the quality of the help here.. But, to be honest the loose hair above and beside the eyebrow gave me a fit and I could not attain an even skin, so out of frustration I moved to another avenue of approach.. Mostly different layers like multiply, screen, normal, dissolve, difference, and even a layer of a colored sketch.. after flattening the image I brought in a layer with the original picture put it on the bottom and erased the lips and eye to let the originals show through.. Used the History brush to lighten the eye using Screen and darkened the lips using Multiply.. Then changed the tilt a lil
Granny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7261A.jpg (97.0 KB, 502 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Sorry for bothering, will lurk and practice more

Last edited by SMURPHY405; 02-25-2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: wrong place, sorry
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 PM

smurph: skin retouch isn't good, eyebrow isn't looking good on the end, the eyelashes look abit fake...

gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2007, 07:57 PM

I had a quick go just wanted to try something did blur overlay a bit of noise thats it
zganie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixaurora.jpg (86.2 KB, 322 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching