RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What kind og gallery do u like?

Old 02-23-2007, 07:47 AM

What kind og gallery do u like?

Hi,
There are so many ways to make a gallery, that i don't even gonna mention numbers and such...but think for urself when u looking thru any gallery..What kind of gallery do u like best?...thumbs, fullsize, thumbs-rollover and such...
The reason why i ask is that i'm looking for a good gallery, and it's always nice to find out what other peep like/hate..

cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 07:53 AM

Re: What kind og gallery do u like?

I like my straight up, thumbnails that open the image in it's own window.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 08:37 AM

i use rollovers. i think tahts the best to show your before and after work ..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 11:14 AM

Yeah aaRon, your way of showing the before and after is brilliant..
I'm about to set up a new site, so i'm after a good well-liked, and very functional gallery

cheers'
Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 PM

http://galri.free.fr/
I'm quite fond of that as a gallery template. What I like best about it is that it will work on a website and a CD. Just copy the same files - this kind of functionality is actually something I've wanted for quite awhile without having to settle for something that looks completely plain and boring. The only issue I've run into with this is that Adobe Flash Player complains that it can't access the flash object from a local disk (or something like that) but the simple quick-n-dirty fix for that is to just rename the soundcontroller.swf file to something like soundcontroller.swf_ - anything that makes it unavailable for the page/script - you lose the sounds with this gallery on a CD but they aren't that important.

I made one small change to the script so that once a large image is open you can use the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate previous and next images. This rar/zip (same content, different archive formats) file's directory structure is set up to work as a picasa template but it can be modified to work with any other program you can add html templates to I'd imagine.
http://videosean.gotgeeks.com/Retouc...ightbox_VS.rar
http://videosean.gotgeeks.com/Retouc...ightbox_VS.zip

I have yet to try to figure out how to add mouseover functionality to it and still use it as a picasa template. It might not be possible but I love mouseovers for before and after views.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2007, 11:44 PM

This gallery is brilliant! Like the simplisity, and it looks very cool..
I guess u can change it almost the way u want it?...overall colors, borderwidth and so on?..

thank you for all the effort u put into this, videosean!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2007, 05:39 PM

NO flash I like to be able to go through the site very quickly as i look at a ton of them every day my personnel opinion is anything that slows it down is just a waste of time I read statistical somewhere? if your dealing with consumers you have like 6 seconds to grab there attention

just my thoughts zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM

You have to think about the client. The client could care less about what your gallery looks like, they just want to go in and see your work as quickly and easily as possible. Think about all clients. If you do rollovers, you have to think about people still on dial-up and how long it might take the image to load. If you do thumbs with popups, you have to think about people that have their popups disabled, and how annoyed the client will be and just leave. If you do flash, you have to think about people that don't have flash installed to view it.

The quickest way and easist way, IMO, is to have a side by side medium sized picture. Of the before and after. With an option of having it load in a bigger window to see the details better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Steve_
I guess u can change it almost the way u want it?...overall colors, borderwidth and so on?..

thank you for all the effort u put into this, videosean!!!!
If you know how to mess with the HTML coding then you can do alot using that gallery script as a base. I didn't create the Galri script/template, I just found it. The Galri site isn't mine and wouldn't want anyone to think I was claiming it as mine I made some modifications to the code to suit my own purposes and that's what's in the zip/rar file in my post. Just make sure to preview your gallery in more than one browser if you are making changes to the code. Some things that work in Firefox don't work in Internet Explorer and vice versa... not to exclude Mac users and Safari but I can't test in Safari.

http://videosean.gotgeeks.com/RetouchPro/Galri-film/ - I did this just to see how it would look and if it could be done. The idea of mimicking an actual lightbox with film layed on it (instead of slides) but ideally you'd want to change the background to white or something I think. That modification involved playing with the HTML and making this image file.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching