RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dodge and burn with curve layers

Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Hi,
Okay I've been told of a better way to use the dodge and burn with curves...usually i would use the dodge tool on midtones at 1% and switch back and forth, but I was shown this new way and I want to master it. Only problem is when i got home i couldnt figure out how to get the layer mask on the different curve layers black...(I guess its inverted to use the brush tool) If anyone out there knows what I'm talking about can you please give me a step by step way to set it up...actually the short cut keys would be better ( i work on mac)

Thanks
Alexis
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2007, 10:21 PM

Re: Dodge and burn with curve layers

Check out this tutorial.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 AM

When you create the Curves Adjustment Layer a "Reveal All" (white) mask is added. Just click on the mask and invert it (COMMAND+I) making it black ("Hide All" mask). paint with a white brush to reveal the curve correction. To keep track, be sure to name your layers to something suitable....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2007, 12:15 PM

thanks swampy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2007, 06:28 PM

I remember heyrad shared that curves method with us....too bad no credit was given to him in the tutorial.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2007, 01:13 PM

Amy Dresser uses this technique

I've written a tutorial here.

this is one of just 5 methods used for enhancing/hiding highlights and shadows.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2010, 04:43 AM

Hi Im wondering if someone could help me with this technique.

I have set everything up ok with the layers and everything works with the dodge and burn layers. But when it comes to painting with the white on low flow/ opacity I cant seem to make it look good and wondered if i have my brush set up wrong.

I know its important to practise but I have been trying and trying and what happens is I go to make a dark spot lighter and whilst the dark spot starts to get lighter, the surrounding area (which is lighter then the spot) also gets lighter and it looks funny.

Is it that you have to zoom in 100 percent and paint each pixel, because even this doesn't work for me as even on full zoom you can paint individual pixels and the surrounding ones keep getting affected.

I appreciate if someone could help me figure out how to paint on the dark and light areas without affecting the pixels around the ones I am trying to lighten and darken.

Many Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenedangel View Post
Is it that you have to zoom in 100 percent
I appreciate if someone could help me figure out how to paint on the dark and light areas without affecting the pixels around the ones I am trying to lighten and darken.

Many Thanks
100% Might not be enough depending on your file size. If the file is small 100% is not nearly enough.

Zoom in closer, use lower opacity.

Practice to infinity.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2010, 10:43 AM

darkenedangel,

It's hard to tell what the problem is without seeing a sample of your work, but I would suggest trying one or more of the following:

1. Make sure that you're using a SOFT round brush (which has feathered edges).

2. Use a smaller brush (something a bit smaller than the area that needs work).

3. Try using a lower brush opacity to lighten/darken spots gradually.

Or try the following method....

I find that some images work much better with a softlight 50% gray filled layer (which is another d&b method). Here's how it's done:

Make a new layer above your image
From the "Mode" pop-up menu choose "soft light"
Check the box "fill with overlay neutral color (50% gray)"

This single gray layer is where your d&b will be done and no mask is used.
Use a SOFT round white brush to lighten and a SOFT round black brush to darken.
Set brush opacity to about 3%

For overly saturated areas, you may want to change brush colors... For example:

To lighten red spots, I use an extremely pale green color instead of white (to cancel the pinkish color).
The same idea may be applied to the black brush. If it's looking too red, use an extremely dark green color instead of black...and so on and so forth.

I hope this helps :-)

Ciao!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithodia View Post
Hi,
Okay I've been told of a better way to use the dodge and burn with curves...usually i would use the dodge tool on midtones at 1% and switch back and forth, but I was shown this new way and I want to master it. Only problem is when i got home i couldnt figure out how to get the layer mask on the different curve layers black...(I guess its inverted to use the brush tool) If anyone out there knows what I'm talking about can you please give me a step by step way to set it up...actually the short cut keys would be better ( i work on mac)

Thanks
Alexis
Hi, I just started to use the dodge and burn technique about a month ago and here is a little help of what i've found. The target is to even out the dark and clear parts. Deal with the healing tool, and liquify filter before starting the D&B work, and you can also create a copy of the original photo and move it up as first layer, "turn it on-off" to compare your progress while you work. Leave the S contrast curve mask white, this one will help you compare how things are going and you can even use it on the final retouch, lowering the opacity. When you create the curve for each mask it comes out white so you have to change it to black in both cases, the white curve and the dark curve, because you are going to use a white foreground color to paint over both masks, dodge and burn. A soft brush from 1-7 is almost always used, with the opacity 10-12 and a 20% flow with a hardness of 0 to 50% depending on the photo. You are not going to see results right away because it takes from 5 to 10 hours sometimes more to do a complete job, even more if you don't have a tablet, like in my case. Much harder to do it with a mouse, because you need to work with every pore of the skin individually at least most of the time. This technique is the most time consuming one, but also the best on retouching photos. When you are done with the DB work, then you need to deal with the colors, curves etc. Adjustment layers. Hope this can be of help. Have fun.

Last edited by Boneappetit; 05-14-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching