RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Color Problems

Old 03-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Re: Color Problems

Gary, I think we may be arguing different points with the importance of midtones. If I get this correctly, I think you are talking about it in terms of it's darkness as opposed to the highlight's correctness. In that case, I would think you are correct. I was talking in terms of color. If you have some highlight that you can be sure is not only neutral but also the lightest part of the image, then it is more important that the RGB are equal than it is for the midtones because once it is printed out, we will notice the slight differences more in the highlights. So when talking in terms of color, what the camera picks up really is irrelevant. In the case of how high or low those RGB values are, which is where I think you are coming from, then it would be correct that midtone are more reliable since a camera focuses on those at the expense of the highlights. That's why highlights are often blown out in images from digital cameras. Of course, you know that, but I am just typing what I'm thinking.

My knowledge of the inners of a camera as you explained are somewhere between slim and none. What you said is interesting and I'll have to think about it for a while. I hope you agree with what I said in the previous paragraph.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 PM

albatross, thanks a lot. I'll take a look at that.

sunfly, that is an impressive correction. The only thing I disagree with is the removal of the background and how it leaves your image looking cut and pasted. That's not the important part of it though. At least as far as I can see, everything in the two people looks quite good. I'm impressed with the way the guy's hair came out and the baby's eye color. Very nice. Bravo!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2007, 01:39 AM

Hi imann08,

Get where you're coming from now.

Yes, any colour imbalance will be more noticeable to the viewer in the high brightness areas, and so they must be correct.

However the best way to get colour balance for the whole picture in my opinion (and it is just an opinion) is still to get the mid-greys right first (for all the reasons previously stated), then do any final minor tweaks by balancing the highlights and shadows.

It may be that the final highlight adjustment "pulls" the mid-greys a bit, and that could be acceptable as long as the pic looks right, but adjusting the mid-greys first usually gets you into the ball park area faster. I've had some peculiar results when trying to balance things based solely on the highlights.

Usually I've had to adjust and readjust my curves before being satisfied that colour is balanced across all the lighting range, and there's almost always some compromise.

However based on what you say, I think I might experiment a bit more with letting the highlight settings predominate a little more than perhaps I have previously done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2007, 02:10 AM

Well, I am glad we were able to clear that up. We were just on the wrong page. I can definitely see what you are talking about and I sometimes go straight for the midtones in images. It isn't a black and white thing and really depends on the image. If it is a high-key image then going for the highlights first is probably recommended as they have to keep detail. Of course, to back up what you were saying, most images will lie in the midtone areas. Generally speaking, I pay special focus on the highlights, set midtone points in the curve based on the area of focus, and the then adjust and finetune from there. That doesn't mean that I don't start by attacking midtones sometimes though. It has a lot to do with whether or not the detail is significant in the highlights areas and the fact that I am very conscious of making sure that the color of the highlights are perfect first and foremost.

I enjoyed this back and forth with you. I always look at it as a learning experience and know that you are quite experienced based on the responses I have seen you make on this board over time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2007, 07:43 AM

I too have enjoyed our chat and profited from the experience, it's by talking things through like this that we all learn, and after all that is what this site is all about.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching