RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Color Problems

Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 PM

Color Problems

This picture is of me and a girl who is now 19. I was 5 at the time. Anyways, I don't like what I have come up with here. I am still having problems with the amount of cyan in the skintones. I was having a lot of problems getting the overall darkness down and I eventually used a false RGB profile with a lower gamma to accomplish that. I also think I blurred it too much to begin with but as you can see it needed some work with all that noise. If anyone wants to give this a go then I'd love to see your results and a description of what you did to get rid of the cyan without making the faces look beet red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.jpg (98.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Edited.jpg (97.5 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 PM

Re: Color Problems

I don't know if my picture on the right is an improvement or not. Started with Digital Roc and then did a curves and Shad/High. adjustment.
dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby_web.jpg (98.2 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2007, 11:39 PM

There really isn't any difference between mine and yours. I could have used S/H but the entire image needed lightening and not just the shadows. When that is the case, S/H is not the best method. For the noise, I have neat image which I used. How did your skintones turn out? Is there still too much cyan in it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 12:37 AM

a lot of posibilities with this picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image12.jpg (94.4 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 AM

Haven't really tried to deal with the noise, just worked on the colour problems.

As the lighting across this picture is not constant, I dealt with different areas differently.

First did a general levels adjustment on LHS, leaving the wall on the RHS de-selected (masked). Purpose to even out the lighting, the RH wall area is too dominant if a whole picture adjustment is made.

Then used curves to colour correct whole image.

Lastly did a colour adjustment on skin tones only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original CC.jpg (77.3 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 02:31 AM

Gary and Chillin. I like your edits a lot. My main problem is that I have trouble when there is a significant amount of cyan in the skintones as there was here. In my attempts to correct this I just ended up with very red faces that looked worse. I'm sure I'm making a stupid mistake here but I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. Did you guys get good skintone values? I'm off to bed now but I'll check them in the morning myself. If you could go over the process a little more in depth I'd appreciate it.

Gary, I really liked the idea of yours to separate the two sides. I'd like to think that there is a better way to accomplish this but I don't know without giving it some thought. I actually colored that RHS wall yellow in LAB using the dodge tool in the B channel. Very mildly of course but I don't think it was supposed to be white like the shirts were. Getting that back wall more in line with the side one was important though. I also like that you got more blue out of the little girl's eyes than I did by far. Did you use some painting tool or did it just work out with the curves you used?

Thanks again to both of you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 AM

Hi imann08,

Surprisingly, auto color did a nice job with this one, followed by shadows/highlights, levels with a mask for the near wall, light noise removal, light sharpening.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boyandchild.jpg (89.5 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 AM

First I straightened it, then I cropped it. That sign on the wall might have been of interest but seeing as part of it was missing I cropped it out and with it went that glaring white wall. The ceiling was of no particular interest either. Auto Color does the trick very well here which I followed with a curve to lighten. I used the Color Replacement tool on that back wall, ran it through Neat Image (noise reduction set to 50%) and sharpened it slightly.

Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color-Problems.jpg (97.7 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 AM

Hi imann08,

What I did when colour correcting is what I usually try first. ie I used a Curves adjustment layer as follows (it works in most cases).

1. Select Color Sample Tool and place a sampler in a Mid-Grey, White (or light grey) and Black (or Dark Grey) areas. In this picture I chose the far wall on the left, a bright area on the RH wall, and the writing on the poster.

2. Create a Curves Adjustment layer.

3. Now I look at the RGB figures on the sampler for the Mid-Grey sample. Select the mid value from the values present. Lets say for example the Red Channel had a value of 150, the Green 140, and the blue 160, then I would be trying to get the values of all channels to be 150 (the mid value). To do this, change the Channel in the Curves dialogue box to Green. Now move your cursor over the spot in your picture where your colour sampler is for Mid-Grey, when over it CTRL+Click and a spot will appear on the Green curve. Click on this and move up with the up arrow key on your keyboard. While you're doing this, watch the figures in your colour sampler box, keep moving until the Green value is the same as the Mid (Red) Value. Now change channel in Curves box to Blue and repeat, this time trying to bring the Blue value down. Once all 3 channels have the same value then you're finished with that sample, move on to the White and Black.

4. Repeat for the White (Light-Grey) and Black (Dark-Grey) areas. For the Whites try to get them all to equal the Highest Channel Value, and for the Blacks try to get them all to equal the Lowest Channel Value.

5. You'll find changing one (Mid, White, Black) "pulls" the others a touch, so it's necessary to re-adjust until you get the nearest set of figures which are equal (or thereabouts) across all channels for Mid-Grey, White and Black. NOTE: The Mid-Grey is the most important to have right, the other two are of lesser importance.

6. Exit out of Curves.

This all sounds very complicated and time consuming, but it is much easier to do than to explain and only takes a few minutes.

For the faces I just selected the skin areas with Quick Mask, converted to a selection, then did a Colour Balance Adjustment layer and increased the yellow and cyan a touch (I don't work with figures, I just eyeball things).

The eyes just came that way with the Curves adjustment.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 04:28 PM

Syd,

Like what you've achieved there bud. You've enhanced the detail, reduced the noise and brought back the colours. Good job.

N.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching