RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Developing a style.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:27 PM

Developing a style.

Hi all.
I am trying to make my photography stand out. This is a picture i took on a fashion shoot i did for someone i then took this image and attempted something that stands out in photoshop.
Could i please get some feedback on this, what i am doing wrong etc...
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jo-dragan1.jpg (93.0 KB, 154 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2007, 01:52 PM

Re: Developing a style.

I think you did a great job with the background, lighting and skin. I would suggest smoothing the bottom lip a little and maybe lightening the lip color just a tad...maybe add a little glossyness. One way to do this is to duplicate the top layer and blur the bottom lip then set the layer to a decent opacity so that you can see some of the natural lines but not so many. Here's an example I saw on another website: http://www.pbase.com/pictek/image/76028067.

The only other thing I may consider modifying on this photo is the scar on the forhead which can easily be removed using the Spot Healing Brush tool (in CS2). Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2007, 08:56 AM

Hi thanks for the input.
I wanted to keep the scar for character but i think you are right. I went a diff way with the lips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jo-dr2.jpg (93.3 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2007, 09:14 AM

The thumbnails looks good but the close-up is not so great - which usually means the idea is there but the execution is lacking.

Perhaps it would help if you said a little bit more about the style you're trying to create.

Maybe if you post the original, we can give you some tips on how to create the image you want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2007, 02:26 PM

Hi Nancy thanks for the offer of help.

I wanted to get a high contrast image with smooth skin and an almost illustrated look. Maybe an Amy Dresser type thing.

Here is the original and my other attempt at the lips.

Anyone else fancy having a go be my guest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jo-base.jpg (93.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg jo-dr3.jpg (98.4 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2007, 04:47 PM

i think the picture in general is difficult to work with since the shadows around the eyes and nose are abit heavy! the retouching for is abit heavy I feel it's very blurred and the details are hidden with smoothing...maybe If you really whent deep with the dodge and burne, tried a different color overall and work on the shadows, then the result would be cleaner...It's better to learn this straight away and then use this experience if you should encounter these types of picture later on!

you're not stronger then your weakest link! that is a rule I have if the picture is poor or not good enough the result tends to be affected by this as well!

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 05:35 AM

I'm not sure if this is entirely what you're going for but basically I used surface blur to completely smooth out the skin and then dodge and burn for the shadows - in hindsight, I might have done the D&B and everything before the smoothing - might have come out better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jo.jpg (25.6 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 09:07 AM

I did some Amy Dresser style retouching. Don't know if this is what you are after?

I agree that the eye sockets were quite dark so I did some work to lighten those too.

Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Another-example.jpg (92.6 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by enigmaphotos; 03-25-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 11:31 AM

good ligh, but maybe abit more contrast to give it more balance? the shirt she is wearing is abit dirty...maybe som amy there as well
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 12:23 PM

Thanks for all your help.

I can see that I did my post proccess all wrong. I should have taken the faults out of the image BEFORE i styled it. I was also being lazy and not painting with light and trying to cheat using blending styles. Nancy yes that is closer to what i want to get good job. Enigma....WoW.... thats just about what i want to get great stuff. Superkoax, I chose this picture from the set as the rest were full body shots and i did like the way the srong light on the face worked but the shadows i should have corrected better.
Thanks again all.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching