RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

perfct skin retouch

Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 AM

Re: perfct skin retouch

I think that it looks great and would agree with Nancy and say that there are many people that are want this look in there retouch. I do not think it is flat, I think it is well executed. That is my opinion
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2007, 12:15 PM

To my eye, this looks painted/illustrated, especially given the differences between the face and the neck and then the eyes to me don't look as genuine as an original should. I'd personally look to even the look between the face and the neck/chest to make it look more contiguous. Love the eyes, they really stand out, but think of more as in a painting, looks a tad anime to my eye
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2007, 01:01 PM

I agree with TheVeed and KR1156

Looks too phoney, almost 3d rendered (the eyes especially). The poster just said "This is my re-touch, do you like it?". There was no before shot, there was no explanation of the requirements or what look they were going for. How are you supposed to give a critique if someone is asking you if you like it? Any answer is acceptable and is just a matter of personal taste. Had they said the client wanted perfect smooth skin with glassy eyeballs, then sure it's good.

JMHO
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2007, 07:02 PM

The question that matters is: was the client happy?
Everything else is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip6653
I do not think it is flat, I think it is well executed.
You obviously don't see much in the way of high-end retouching then. This retouch is WAYYY overdone, it's awful to be honest.

The trick is to have people know that an image has been retouched (because we all know skin isn't 'perfect'), but not know exactly what has been done. When ordinary people who are aloof to digital photography and retouching can tell what has been done to an image, then you have failed imo.

Here's an example of a "perfect skin" retouch which:
a) retains skin texture
b) keeps lighting nuances and face shape

http://members.iinet.net.au/~craighi...ior_advert.jpg

(And no, I do not work for Dior nor create advertisements for them. Unfortunately)

Below is another retouch example using the same girl, and guess what?! No use of the blur tool! (strictly nothing but the clone tool used)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~craighi...013_Maaike.jpg

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2007, 11:51 AM

Craig, I think you're being a little harsh.

As posted above, it would be nice to see what the original photograph looked like for comparison. You can tell the retouching is heavy handed, but the techniques used seem well-executed. You should at least be able to acknowledge the completeness of the picture even if you disagree with the retouch. And if you can't, then your comments are best kept to yourself. You've taken the opportunity to show off your own work while slamming the original post at the same time in a "look at me, pay attention to me" way. Very uncool.

I agree the original poster needs to recognize that the retouch has pushed the boundaries of realistic portrayal, but I feel it's our role to guide and advise, to help them realize the positives and negatives of that, and not use this forum as an opportunity for drive-by self-promotion and criticism.

And RocketScientist, with retouching we have to go beyond just ensuring the clients is happy but also informed. If they like this retouch, good for them. But if they don't realize that the retouch is heavy-handed, because the the retoucher is either uninformed or inexperienced, you do a disservice to the client. With clients not in the photography business, they really won't know what they want and are looking to the retoucher for guidance. That's the way in any creative consulting business.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madclark
Craig, I think you're being a little harsh.
Do you think anyone is going to get anywhere or improve if their peers tiptoe around criticism?

Quote:
You can tell the retouching is heavy handed, but the techniques used seem well-executed.
That really makes no sense to me. If techniques are well executed, then surely the end result would not look so overdone?!

Quote:
You should at least be able to acknowledge the completeness of the picture even if you disagree with the retouch.
Not sure what you mean by completeness...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2007, 10:52 PM

yea, the original is always good for comparison, but from what i see, it looks way over done. i cant even say that it looks to perfect. its way to pastey.

got to keep in mind of skin texture. once you lose that, you will lose the realism of the picture.

my advice .. less cloning and painting, and more dodgeing and burning ..
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeed
I did a very crisp retouch here: http://theveed.com/pages/images/nnennacloseup.jpg
where I left pores and texture and added absolutely no extra texture (it did help that the model was already stunning in the original.)
I loved your retouch of
http://theveed.com/pages/images/nnennacloseup.jpg

I frequently need to retouch African American skin and would like some pointers. My questions are

How do you even out the skin color?
how do I determine if the coloring is right?
How do you leave the shine in without it looking oily?
How do you remove the blotches and imperfections within the shine?

Are there any tutorials you can refer me to?

Thanks for your patience with ALL my elementary questions
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicLady
I loved your retouch of
http://theveed.com/pages/images/nnennacloseup.jpg

I frequently need to retouch African American skin and would like some pointers. My questions are

How do you even out the skin color?
how do I determine if the coloring is right?
How do you leave the shine in without it looking oily?
How do you remove the blotches and imperfections within the shine?

Are there any tutorials you can refer me to?

Thanks for your patience with ALL my elementary questions
It didn't hurt that the model is stunningly beautiful to begin with. But a lot of your questions can be answered by a number of people in this forum. I guess the only answer I can give you is to really learn your Dodge & Burn, and read the tutorials on that. Most everything else you've asked can easily be found by reading other tutorials.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching