Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

perfct skin retouch

Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Re: perfct skin retouch

If people can make a ultra smooth skin without it looking blurred..great! If that's the look you are going for more power to you. The ultra super model flawlessness look has its place ( I like it), looks great when you are selling an image everybody knows is touched up unreal etc.. but its a little out of place if used for your senior high school picture... It seems like its vogue to like textured skin, it looks ok on some images and not so good (as in bad) on has its place.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2007, 05:14 AM

The concept of good retouching varies between cultures, as it is clearly shown here. If you look at any kind of published material (whether it be magazines, CD covers, etc) from Eastern Europe, the Middle East - or Asia in general, the type of work presented by nabegh73 is what dominates their media markets. That perception of glamour is contrasted by the Western retouching ideal, where texture is everything. However, I agree with Nancy, a lot of fashion magazines out there present us with heavily blurred images - surprisingly also high-end ones (and yes, I can back this statement up with brand names).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2007, 11:40 AM

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Are we so isolated in our own little world that we can't see that this example is over retouched to the point of absurdity.

It's a great exercise in using photoshop tools. It reminds me of the hilarious trend in the 80s of women using red to highlight their cheeks, (which they copied from fashion magazines,) so they looked liked they'd just been in a bar fight.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2007, 12:59 PM

I do believe the isolation in this case lays in the fact of some people being unable to appreciate the esthetic values of other cultures, in this instance that of Lebanon. But as I also mentioned earlier, this type of retouching is prevalent in most Eastern civilizations. The burning question here is rather about cultural imperialism, where people at this forum - mainly from the Western civilization, feel that their techniques and ideals are superior. Veed even went so far as to describe Nabegh's effort as a universal folly. You all have to excuse me, but I fail to see how anybody can make such a generic judgement based on their apparently limited personal experiences. Why not, as Nancy also suggested, try to see the pieces up for critique from the retouchers perspective and background. There is so much to be learnt, and isolating ourselves from different ideas and influences is plain ignorant.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2007, 02:04 PM

Arandel, you bring up some good points, but ultimately, I must say, I completely disagree with you.

Most magazines in the middle east, as you speak of, may employ that type of 'smooth' retouching, but that is more due to a lack of high-end retouchers available to their clients, and budget contraints. It is NOT a 'trend' or whatever else excuse it has been labeled as. It is poor retouching. If they had the available resources, they would outsource their retouching to the higher-end hotspots, such as London, Paris, NY, the list goes on. There are very few cities that can lay claim to having a retouching industry, but rest assured, their clients are from all over the world.

There is a difference in applying texture to skin, and maintaining/perfecting the texture that is already there. Applying texture to skin is poor retouching as well, but it recognizes that skin has a texture. NO texture on the skin is the easiest, and most beginner-level technique in doing a 'glamour' retouch. I'm not knocking on the original poster by that comment, because we've ALL been there. What I'm saying is, it's not right to try to encourage it and mislabel it as a 'trend.'

Any magazine, regardless of nation, can have good or bad retouching. In NO good retouching will you see skin as unnaturally smooth as the original post. Show me ONE photo, from a high-end magazine, that is a face close-up, that has skin as texture-free. Printed high-end retouched photos that look smooth actually DO have texture, but smaller, not as sharp, and less defined texture. But like I said before, it's not perfectly smooth.

Perfectly smooth retouching does have its place, in art and graphic pieces. But it goes against the very principles of retouching, which are to perfect what is already given, not to remove all reality from it. Claiming anything otherwise is, quite honestly, just absurd.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Going to back up Veed here.

The image stinks in any culture. Any other words just give too much credit to this thread which already has too much discussion and views and is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 AM

My opinion is that she looks too fake. Reducing the opacity of the eye white correction layer would be the first thing I would do to address this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 AM

In my opinion I would stop and take breath. Just a few minutes on the internet searching for high pass skin retouching and couple of hours reworking your image you could have something miles better! LIke the previous posters have said, we all have to start somewhere, keep practicing and the details will come.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by TheVeed View Post
I have to disagree with Nancy J, as well. If I were to see this in an advertisement, I would not think "I'd buy that" but "who retouched this??"

It looks like you applied paint directly on to her skin, taking out all of her pores and imperfections.

I understand that there are different retouching 'looks' to go for. I did a very crisp retouch here:
where I left pores and texture and added absolutely no extra texture (it did help that the model was already stunning in the original.)

But here, I have eliminated most texture:

Now, obviously, there are MANY more varieties of retouching styles than just these two examples. But complete removal of skin texture and quality is pretty universally seen as a retouching folly. Not only does it remove naturalness, it removes highlights, light hitting the skin, and, most importantly, the shapes and contours of the face.

My suggestion is practicing your dodge and burn, which there are many tutorials of on this website. Don't try adding texture to images, or using "de-grudge" techniques, if you want a real polished feel. Plain old dodge and burn will still be your #1 asset.

Hope this helps.
Pretty much this period /thread lol when it comes to retouching and retaining texture this is the goal not a blurry or plastic barbie doll unless maybe doing a 50 pinup.....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching