RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

perfct skin retouch

Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 AM

Smile perfct skin retouch

this is my retouch skin
do u like it
nabegh kanjo beirut lebanon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100kb.jpg (91.2 KB, 1063 views)

Last edited by nabegh73; 05-14-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2007, 09:19 AM

Re: perfct skin retouch

It looks a little too perfect. Human skin is imperfect.
Use a little less blur or else she doesn't look human anymore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 AM

While 'texture' may be the 'in thing' in some spheres, that is not the case universally. 'Perfectly smooth' is also a perfectly acceptable style, when done right.

I think this picture is a good example of that, the skin is perfectly smoothed with no blotches and good definition has been maintained around the hairline, nose and mouth. If this was an ad for foundation - I'd buy it The skin looks smooth but not blurred. Good job!
The only criticism I would make is that maybe the eyeshadow is a little too textured compare to the rest of the skin - it should have a little texture but it could blend a little better.
It would be great to see the original.

A lot of retouchers at the moment are trying to artificially add texture on pictures that just arent suitable - eg. low res head+shoulders - where that kind of texture just wouldnt be visible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2007, 02:10 PM

It does look absolutely perfect but I guess I'm part of that school of realism that prefers a little texture.

You've done an excellent job and such a good job it's hard to notice that it's so perfected. But I wonder if you just reduced the opacity a little on the correction layers if you could find a better balance between perfection and realism?

My personal philosophy in beauty retouching is to bring out what the subject would look like in an ideal photographic situation, flawless makeup and skin tone after a good night's sleep, flattering lighting with correct colors - anything that a well trained makeup artist and photographer could do on their own and the subject was in excellent health. But when I move beyond that though I try to be as gentle as possible, i.e. skin that is too smooth and poreless, undereyes that are absolutely flat, skin that's perfectly smooth on an older model, eyes that are too unnaturally large and vibrant.

To me, the interest of a picture lies in the reality, not the fantasy. And viewers, though they may not consciously know why, can recognize when something isn't quite real. They will appreciate what looks good but will also recognize what's fake.

In any case, keep up the good work. It looks great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 PM

i feel she doesn't look human anymore, more of an illustration.

if you look at her face from chin to top of forehead to earline, it looks like an illustration was cut & pasted onto a real photograph. take a step back and look at the rest of the photo....it doesnt match up.

-im not knocking your work at all....i just feel it's overdone. it doens't seem realistic at all.

---if i was a woman looking at that on a foundation ad, like nancy was saying, i would be more turned off by it because it looks like they overdid it to sell me on it...totally looking like advertising trickery. Now, if i looked at a woman with a more natural skin and texture, just nicely cleaned up...it would make me feel this product does work, i think the ultimate goal is to make healthy looking skin. not to disguise its flaws with obvious computer graphics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 PM

I have to disagree with Nancy J, as well. If I were to see this in an advertisement, I would not think "I'd buy that" but "who retouched this??"

It looks like you applied paint directly on to her skin, taking out all of her pores and imperfections.

I understand that there are different retouching 'looks' to go for. I did a very crisp retouch here: http://theveed.com/pages/images/nnennacloseup.jpg
where I left pores and texture and added absolutely no extra texture (it did help that the model was already stunning in the original.)

But here, I have eliminated most texture: http://theveed.com/pages/images/glamour4_01.jpg

Now, obviously, there are MANY more varieties of retouching styles than just these two examples. But complete removal of skin texture and quality is pretty universally seen as a retouching folly. Not only does it remove naturalness, it removes highlights, light hitting the skin, and, most importantly, the shapes and contours of the face.

My suggestion is practicing your dodge and burn, which there are many tutorials of on this website. Don't try adding texture to images, or using "de-grudge" techniques, if you want a real polished feel. Plain old dodge and burn will still be your #1 asset.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2007, 03:37 AM

Why is it that no-one here can give an honest, technical critique without imposing their preferences on the artist? You dont have to like someone's style to critique their technique. This is a perfect example of a particular style - regardless of whether you like it or agree with its use.

A good critique bears in mind what the artist was trying to achieve with his work and addresses how sucessfully he/she has done, then give pointers on how to improve, within the same look. Not to tell everyone they should be retouching in a certain style.

Retouching is just as prone to fads an fashions as any other industry and different markets around the world have different fashions. Look at Dior - incredibly sucessful advertising campaigns and most of the images (particularly when viewed at this size) have little to no texture in the skin - because thats their style. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with it or the retoucher should be taken out and shot - it means the retoucher has perfectly exectuted the style he was going for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 AM

Your nnennacloseup.jpg is very good!

Which dodge and burn tutorial would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeed
My suggestion is practicing your dodge and burn, which there are many tutorials of on this website. Don't try adding texture to images, or using "de-grudge" techniques, if you want a real polished feel. Plain old dodge and burn will still be your #1 asset.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
Why is it that no-one here can give an honest, technical critique without imposing their preferences on the artist? You dont have to like someone's style to critique their technique. This is a perfect example of a particular style - regardless of whether you like it or agree with its use.

While I always respect and usually agree with your posts, NancyJ, I beg to differ here. Oddly enough, I did provide good criticism AND tips for improvement, and yes, honest and technical critique.

This particular style isn't really a 'style' but a lack of knowledge in what to keep and what to leave out in skin retouching.

There is a HUGE difference in Christian Dior's retouchers and a style of 'flat texture.' Their advertisements are intended for magazine use, and faces generally show up at a thumbnail's size. You would NEVER see their photos containing lack of texture through retouching in a close-up; that would only occur through original photography. That 'style' has more to do with original photography's strong lighting and a little 'blowing-out', NOT with retouching.

By no means is this a personal attack on anyone. This is, after all, a community to share our knowledge of retouching methods, techniques, and industry secrets. But I do disagree that this is a difference of retouching preferences.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2007, 09:15 AM

"this is my retouch skin
do u like it"

No.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching