RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Professional Album Cover, to discuss

Old 04-13-2007, 01:44 PM

Re: Professional Album Cover, to discuss

Quote:
"looks perfect! don't change a thing!" they feel like they're not doing their job
that statement couldn't be any more true.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156
--i started out in the design/art direction field, and quickly became tired of trying to sell great concepts to bs clients. It sucks when you have an entire team with many years experience in a field and you work hard on great creative and it gets turned down by a client with minimal experience in that field.

Retouching also became more challenging and fun to me, i got to use my "eye" a little more and just had fun with the work.

Same here. I used to do design in marketing, and no matter what concepts and designs you liked, they were likely to get shot down by someone who had no eye for what looked good, etc.

With retouching, I usually am either left to do what I see fit within certain parameters, or I will sit with the subject (since 95% of the time I am the photographer) and do a retouch of one photo with them, so I know what they want touched and what they don't. This way, I'll know in the future how far they want the photos taken.

Also, regarding the overdone look of album covers...I wanted to mention another one I saw last night within the same 10 minutes I posted this thread. Gwen Stefani's new album, The Sweet Escape, is definitely not natural looking, but I think it suits the style for an album cover (see below).

I still think, no matter what the CD might have wanted, Carrie Underwood's cover looks mediocre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stefani_061215090245518_wideweb__300x300.jpg (25.7 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2007, 02:04 PM

jill greenberg shot the gwen album cover
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2007, 02:16 PM

I think it's fabulous....and like I said, even though it's certainly not natural looking, it suits the style for that album.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2007, 02:18 PM

as a retoucher, i've lost count of how many photos i've turned in as final versions that i personally thought looked terrible, but that's what the client wanted

i've also lost count of how many art directors i've wanted to strangle, or stab in the throat with my stylus

this is becoming a funny thread, because we're working with design/marketing people right now who just pitched a bunch of ideas to us, and quite frankly i think they all stink, and i don't know how to tell them nicely

i have very minimal design experience, but i know what i like. and i'm the client
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2007, 04:49 PM

jill shot the gwen cover, but jill didn't retouch it...amy dresser did...the amy dresser retouching is awesome...

the underwood picture is ok, i hence of picture, positure and the clisjee of smiling in this type of angel as well...they wanted a sweet young, american, next door girl and that is what they got...but remember one thing! This picture is not meant for retouchers,,,,it's meant for the consumers...people who don't spend hours upon hours finding flaws and correcting bad photos...we don't see pictures as they are...we see what we can change, manipulate etc...i would judje her music instead of the cover...remember, boys and girls, don't judge the book by it's cover!!!

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2014, 05:23 AM

Hi, we are a team of disgnrs from India.namely western frames. sir we offer grand album disigning @ very low rate.5$ to 8$ per page. to be frank, being in india like a depressed ecnomy helping us a great deal to provide pakka service at even this low price. Sir we are looking for genuine clients who can provide works on a regular manner. Plese contact us westernframes@gmail.com Our relation will be a advantage to your business.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 AM

Palm to forehead.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching