RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin texture

Old 04-24-2007, 07:53 AM

Skin texture

Greetings to all
Last I see and I read much in this forum on the treatment of the skin adjustment. Concretely, some time ago I read something I believe that it was of ByRo (sorry if I am not in the certain thing) on a technique of skin adjustment. After being in contact with important retouchers of cosmetics and beauty, all reached the same. YOU NEVER USE THE GAUSSIAN BLUR LIKE PART OF A PROCESS OF SKIN ADJUSTMENT. With a Gaussian, always we will lose quality of the skin texture. The saying, the great retouchers of cosmetics and beauty never use the Gaussian blur. If somebody wants a professional use to always have present this. Greetings to all
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Janitor

Re: Skin texture

What would you recommend instead?

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 04-24-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2007, 04:45 PM

Greetings superfrasky

I'm not too sure what you are asking, or what you are stating - but I'll take the opportunity to straighten a few things out:
  • I think you are referring to my quick deGrunge technique;
  • I have never defended the technique as a full professional resource. I have always said that it's a way to get a good result very quickly. Which, except for the highest of high-enders will usually suffice;
  • The technique may seem to involve blurring but, in fact, the details (which would be eliminated with blurring) are all preserved. What is eliminated is a band of frequencies - between the high-pass and low-pass (blur)- that usually correspond to the "grunge" in the skin;
  • This is not a one-stop fix-everything technique, just another tool in the tool-box.
Hope that clears things up.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2007, 04:15 AM

Otherwise the process depends on original, i think. I use different method for dng, and 4x5' slide on coolly used gausian blur, You can keep every detail.

saby

Last edited by saby; 04-25-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2007, 06:11 AM

byro is totally right. The quick de-grunge technique is definitely not something you would use in high-end retouching, but for home/fun stuff, it's a totally acceptable form of cleaning up skin. It's also good to read through it and understand how it works, and why. There are certain techniques in his tutorial that we'll sometimes do to sharpen/'blur' just a tiny tiny bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2007, 01:03 PM

with a little modification the degrunge trick is perfectly serviceable in commercial work - albeit not real high-end poster campaigns but for your standard magazine shot - unless its a full page extreme close-up - then d&b pixel perfect correction are way too expensive and time consuming.
Done well the results are almost identical at that sort of quality level, why pay for a few hours work when you can get essentially the same look (remember, your general consumer is also not a professional retoucher - they dont have the same eye we do) in minutes. It just wouldnt make financial sense
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
with a little modification the degrunge trick is perfectly serviceable in commercial work - albeit not real high-end poster campaigns but for your standard magazine shot - unless its a full page extreme close-up - then d&b pixel perfect correction are way too expensive and time consuming.
Done well the results are almost identical at that sort of quality level, why pay for a few hours work when you can get essentially the same look (remember, your general consumer is also not a professional retoucher - they dont have the same eye we do) in minutes. It just wouldnt make financial sense
for the web or retail maybe, but otherwise I whole heartedly disagree. the degrunge is not viable for a quality image. Perhaps it may work on a garbage file, but from a professional standpoint it is not viable. No offense to byRo, but apply that to a quality file that is over 30 mb and no matter the modification, it's not viable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2007, 02:12 PM

For a high profile ad campaign a few thousand dollars on a single image wont even get a reaction but for your every day magazine picture that would just not be feasible.
Your average lads mag still uses blur + add noise in a lot of the pics - its not like the readership is looking at skin texture so for them this technique would be a step up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
For a high profile ad campaign a few thousand dollars on a single image wont even get a reaction but for your every day magazine picture that would just not be feasible.
Your average lads mag still uses blur + add noise in a lot of the pics - its not like the readership is looking at skin texture so for them this technique would be a step up.
Yes, the average lads mag - FHM, Maxim, Playboy even (but they are better than ever). But by saying magazine as a blanket statement you are leaving out Vogue, Allure, Harpers Bazaar, V, etc. Ain't no blur nor degrunge. By magazine I mean a magazine of merit. Just thought the clarification needed to be made.

Everyday magazine pictures, even those thrown in the trash after a week do not utilize retouching that involves degrunge or other shortcuts. I've spent as much as a week on a Harpers story personally. Even Italian Glamour which is a very small format mag and let's face it, isn't the most high brow magazine pays up to $700 an image for retouching (rush, but still). The photographers only get $150 a spread...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM

Its no more of a blanket statement than saying professionals dont use blur or even that this degrunge trick isnt professionally viable - professional just means you get paid for it.
For example, Greg Apodaca posts on his site about skin smoothing
"It involves cloning at low opacities to a new layer, then using blurred noise on the layer to match the surrounding areas. Duplicating the layer, running a median filter and setting the layer to 50%, can be substituted for the cloning."
I've also seen, though I cant find it now a tutorial, using one of his images - though I cant say for sure it was his technique that used surface blur on the underlying skin then a high pass filter to bring out the desired skin texture. While I'm not a fan of his work, there is no denying he is a professional retoucher.

Business is business, why pay $700 for something you can get for $200? The client cares about the result, not the technique used to get it. Like any technique, it takes skill, experience and a good eye to get right, but if you're really good at it, the end result can be as good as d&B - Just this technique alone wont give you perfect skin, theres still work needed before and after but it is a big time saver.

I think particularly in the amateur and semi-pro circles theres too much focus on texture, to the point of adding it in where it wasnt. In a 3/4 length shot or even a low res head and shoulders - unless the model has pores the size of craters - you're just not going to see them. Theres a difference between preserving texture and obsessing so much that you're putting it where there shouldnt be much.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching