RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Solar Curve

Old 11-28-2009, 08:29 AM

Re: Solar Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by namphoto View Post
I got to school as a photographer but every time in class (we have seven hour classes) and I'm editing with solar curves, people look at me and think, 'wow that's a stupid photoshop effect'. But that's okay, because there ignorance is my bliss. Moral of the story? I don't know..
HAhaha... I must say it happens to me the same thingin many ways. Ones was when I went to a film seminar dictated by a very important photography director who cannot remember its name but the place was full of people, around 200, and the photography director (the old guy) started to talk very bad about digital technology and also, from a very ignorant point of view, misleading all those film students so I grabed a microphone and informed him about digital, but he didn't listen to me and he was unrespectful, therefore, all the film students laughed at me, so I felt like those avangarde guys which brain is beyond the others minds and the like. A bit of food for the ego, haha... Just let them laugh in their ignorance while I'm stepping very fast or somethng like that (sorry my grammar, but I think you get the point haha).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2009, 04:52 PM

yep you may think your retouch is perfect but whack a solar curve on and you'll see all the bits that really aren't perfect. also always cycle through your channels when retouching. if something is a miss on a certain channel but the image looks fine with all channels on, the chances are this error will show up when printed...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermy View Post
yep you may think your retouch is perfect but whack a solar curve on and you'll see all the bits that really aren't perfect. also always cycle through your channels when retouching. if something is a miss on a certain channel but the image looks fine with all channels on, the chances are this error will show up when printed...
Solar Curve is a really interesting topic that I would love to understand, but cannot find a way to use it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2009, 03:34 AM

What I'm going to say is probably technically inaccurate but its the way i use a solar curve. Its not something that you utilise in the final image - its a checker. Its an adujustment layer that I place on, especially in portraiture, when smoothing out skin to see if I am acutally evening out the tones. I don't have one handy but if you use, and I'd recommend any one of Godmother's before and afters. Place a soloar curve as described by Cameraken and you'll see just where the evening out has taken place. Its really a checker adjustment layer that you turn on and off intermittently while you are retouching. You kinda see all the 'invisible' bits that your eyes can't pick up, but its those bits that when tackled will make all the difference to your image...

Last edited by Kermy; 11-29-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Its really a checker adjustment layer that you turn on and off intermittently while you are retouching.
Ah, yes... That's the thing I needed to know! Thanks Kermy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah, since I discovered this techinique i have a lot of different curvers in my preset I made and mu workflow changed a lot, you really can't see some hidden textures in the image if you don't use solar curves.

Thanks Cameraken for starting this thread!

Martin
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
It's an invaluable tool for finding all that is mentioned above and for masking uses.
Don't limit yourself to just one version of the Solar Curve. Where one Solar Curve might show you nothing wrong, another can easily point out problematic areas.

Chris
Hi Chris, what do you mean with masking uses, can you explainme how would you use solar curves with it?
Its about the edges more visible?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching