RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to avoid "color banding" "banding" and "posterization" ?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:34 AM

how to avoid "color banding" "banding" and "posterization" ?

how do you avoid "color banding" "banding" and "posterization" ?

i got some critics from an image stock-company like "gettyimages"
when they inspected my retouched images

additionally they mentioned

"blurring in the sky"
"no neutral blacks"
"The shadow read too heavy"
"Inconsistent noise"

what could this mean please? "blacks should be around 3-10 and not 0, like in your images"

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 10:58 AM

Re: how to avoid "color banding" "banding" and "posterization" ?

What resolution are you working at? Is this for prepress? It should be a minium of 300 DPI (ppi).

Banding is usually associated with gradients. Were you trying to run a gradient across a large area (like a full 8.5 x 11 spread)? Even at high (prepress 300 ppi) resolutions you can get banding. If applied as a layer or mask, try running a slight gausian blur on the gradient.

"blurring in the sky" There is probably luminacity artifacting in the sky so you need to fix it
"no neutral blacks" I don't understand their terminology
"The shadow read too heavy" Shadow areas call for too much black on the printing plate.
"Inconsistent noise" JPEG artifacting, run something like NeatImage or NoiseNinja

"what could this mean please? "blacks should be around 3-10 and not 0, like in your images"? Check your levels dialog box under "Options". to see where you have black/white set for clipping. Most printers want at least .10% for each. Also make sure your Color Settings are set for something as shown below for process printing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color-Settings.jpg (38.0 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by Swampy; 05-09-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM

Don't blur your sky without graining/noising it up to match the grain/noise that is in the original image. Make sure your shadows/blacks are not blocked up and have printable detail *a better option than 3-10 is just to stick around 8 - look in your info pallette and see what they are reading and adjust them accordingly. Make sure your blacks are not cast in color - look again in your info pallette when you bring the color picker over the black areas - they should be more or less equal when it comes to the numbers of the colors.

Google banding. It occurs when colors overlap - most likely something you are doing in post is causing this. Sometimes, a little noise can help, but don't go above 6 generally. Other times you have to selectively blur and clone and heal and dodge and burn to remove it. Sometimes you have to do all of the above. If you can live without whatever you are doin to the file that is causing it, don't do it.

You are really messing with things beyond where they need to go if you are getting posterization. This could also mean a lot of things depending on who is using this term and if it is being used correctly. check Google.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 11:08 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Adobe-Pho...ing-images.htm
"When banding occurs in images, it can be mistaken for posterization, but it’s more complex than that. Banding is caused by the failure of an algorithm during an image conversion, such as switching to a new color mode. If too many near-identical image tones spread out farther than its computational area, the algorithm can fail, and the conversion may produce tonal edges called bands. To eliminate banding, use the Add Noise filter to add pixel variation to adjacent tones........"
http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?...icle&artid=371
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 12:18 PM

thanks for that quick help!

i work at 300dpi, 5100pixel wide images from a canon 1ds mark II. they have around 48MB as TIFF.
i develop with phase one, leaving it untouched in developer and retouch it in CS2 or 3 (colorspace adobe-RGB)

usually the photographer used also a greycard.
first step for me is to open the greycardimage, duplicate it over the image i retouch and use a levels-layer, selecting the medium picker and picking one point in the image with/in the greycard to get the right grey balance, then i use about 5 or 10 or 20 masked levels-layers to adjust the contrast by alt-clicking into the levels-window and later i also change the colors of the skin or the sky (less red/yellow skin usually and less magenta in the sky)

i can report that i get banding or noise even if i only use one layer with lets say changing the sky from redblue to greenblue, then i see the banding stripes in the sky. is that normal? the more level-layers i use, the more banding i can see.

- in detail, what are you doing when the color picker reads color in the blacks? (if the numbers are not equal)

- one possible solution i see is to develop 24bit images instead of 16 bit.
would that prevent banding? i dont know. but working is only as half as fast as with 16bit images (saves very long, needs much ram and so on)

Last edited by pure; 05-09-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 01:26 PM

The number of layers should have nothing to do with artifacts / j'peging. What resolution do you have your monitor set to? You didn't say wheter PC or Mac, but if PC, do you have an upgraded graphics card?

I set black in the color picker to RGB 0-0-0.

I don't think bit depth is an issue. If you are seeing considerable banding on the screen, I would say it's a graphics card/monitor resolution issue. I work on a Mac with a 20" Apple display set to 1680 x 1050 and millions of colors. I've never seen banding on my screen when working with high resolution images. May get it when I print, but that's because my Postscript laser only does 1200 DPI where as a 4 color press is gonna do 2400 DPI or better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Thumbs up

I'm happy for you Don't know what's happened in your life but it sure has improved your comments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM

Excuse me, Godmother?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 02:48 PM

Keep your blacks around 5-5-5 or 10-10-10 and not 0-0-0.
The companies need to have room when conversions are done to keep detail and avoid plugging on press.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 02:59 PM

You can alter your black-point in photoshop levels to be something other than 000 so when you run your levels adjustment it will use whatever figure you choose as 'black'

Edit: Looks like swampy beat me to it - that'll teach me for posting when I'm in a hurry

Last edited by NancyJ; 05-09-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching