RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Suggestions needed on 1st retouch. Also: Is it eseential to be an "Artist"

Old 06-14-2007, 12:48 PM

Suggestions needed on 1st retouch. Also: Is it eseential to be an "Artist"

Hi,

This is my first post on the site, so hello to everyone.

I'm very new to photo retouching (what I mean by new is I retouched my first photo last night in photoshop 7!!!!) so if I ask any blatant or obvious questions, please bear with me

I was just wondering whats everyones thoughts on actually being able to draw? I realise it would help but is it possible to be any good if your not a natural artist?

Thanks

Michael

p.s. If your interested this was the finished product - I know the eyes are a bit too blue but it was just something I wanted to do... ;-)

I toned down her freckles slightly, tried to smooth out any obvious blotches and whitened her teeth. I didn't try and make it too glamorous, tried to keep it looking as real as possible, but not sure if I have achieved that, you decide ....

http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?i...reaftertl4.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Re: Eseential to be an "Artist"

Out of interest, could someone fix her jawline and post how they did it? Its quite dark and looks slightly off (this was also in the original photo...)

Thanks

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2007, 04:01 PM

Here's my take on your original. I tried to keep it a little natural and I might have smoothed the skin a little too much. I lessened the shadow area along the jawline with a low opacity clone stamp on lighten mode and the same settings with the brush tool.
Don't forget, we are dealing with a low quality snap shot.

http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?i...reafterry9.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 PM

Wolfman, your's is definitely a lot clearer, looks cool cheers.

Mine is far too blurry! I'm just going through some tutorials at the moment, i will definitely have another go soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2007, 04:12 PM

Actually for anyone else who is interested i think this is a good tutorial

I "touched up" if you want to call it that! my original photo before i read this....

http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut018.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2007, 06:57 PM

>>>>><>>>>>> I was just wondering whats everyones thoughts on actually being able to draw?

I think there is no need to be able to draw. Being able to work a mouse or a tablet is a necessary skill.
I think looking at high-end photos more closely and seeing what they do with light and color etc. is very helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 PM

Re: Suggestions needed on 1st retouch. Also: Is it eseential to be an "Artist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by c19h28O2 View Post
Hi,

This is my first post on the site, so hello to everyone.

I'm very new to photo retouching (what I mean by new is I retouched my first photo last night in photoshop 7!!!!) so if I ask any blatant or obvious questions, please bear with me

I was just wondering whats everyones thoughts on actually being able to draw? I realise it would help but is it possible to be any good if your not a natural artist?

Thanks

Michael

p.s. If your interested this was the finished product - I know the eyes are a bit too blue but it was just something I wanted to do... ;-)

I toned down her freckles slightly, tried to smooth out any obvious blotches and whitened her teeth. I didn't try and make it too glamorous, tried to keep it looking as real as possible, but not sure if I have achieved that, you decide ....

http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?i...reaftertl4.jpg
Hi Michael:

Welcome to RP. For a first time at this, you have every reason to be proud.

re: please bear with me [on]...any blatant or obvious questions,
No problem... At one time everyone has been where you are now. Enjoy the ride.

Editorial comment...
I don't know the relationship between you and the subject. If she's your wife, significant other, girlfriend, whatever, may I caution you against the potential pitfalls of retouching freckles (or other sensitive areas), even if only a little, unless specifically requested. Some women who aren't thrilled about their freckles to begin with, could interpret your well intended handiwork as, "Now I know the truth: You don't like my freckles, either," ...a road you don't want to go down! [I speak from experience: Early on in my PS learning I did a makeover of my wife... skin/wrinkles, eyes, touched up a little hair color, took off a few pounds here & there, etc. Technically a pretty good digital makeover, but happy she was not!]

It comes down to Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

re: I was just wondering whats everyones thoughts on actually being able to draw? I realise it would help but is it possible to be any good if your not a natural artist?

I'll assume since this is a photo retouching topic you're asking from a photographer's perspective. If so in my opinion the ability to "draw" in the traditional sense is not a requirement at all. Knowledge of topics related to art such as composition, lighting and color can be very helpful, however.

If I'm misunderstood your question, rephrase it, OK?

re: Your pic
I'm kind of into converting color to BW, so attached is another take on your redhead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP Freckle face and blue eyes djr BW.jpg (117.2 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2007, 07:57 AM

the easiest way to fix the jawline, if you are trying to get it straight, use the liquify tool .. that would be your best bet ..
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 AM

Had a bit of a play around with your picture.

Like many beginners, you have a tendency to be a little heavy handed with your retouching and this can make your finished piece look artificial.

Try and work with what you have, rather than make it something which it is not.

The girls eyes are not naturally as blue as you made them, so try and enhance hers rather than "paint over" them.

I didn't do too much here, but tried to hide any minor imperfections, and enhance any positive features.

I used a soft low opacity clone brush to remove one or two reddened areas in the girl's skin (with some careful work round her mouth) and also minimised some of the shine areas. Then I brightened the eyes, increased the saturation of the irises, and upped their contrast a little.

I then reddened the lips a touch and whitened the teeth a little.

When happy with the overall look, I adjusted the overall picture contrast a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kelly-B&A.jpg (182.0 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching