RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dodge and Burn Problems on a Camera RAW Image

Old 06-26-2007, 07:52 PM

Re: Dodge and Burn Problems on a Camera RAW Image

i dont understand the problem here...

you have to adjust the raw image BEFORE you start fixing it
photoshop cs3 has a great raw converter where you can do whatever you like with it

very handy ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 PM

I have CS2, so maybe there's something different/better in CS3? But, what I'm wondering is what exactly is meant by "doing adjustments first". For instance, do you mean the hue saturation contrast kind of stuff? And are you saying that it's preferred to do whatever those adjustments are first before opening in PS? Since this is the first image I've ever seen in RAW, I'm at a loss.

Thanks everybody for your patience!

Diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2007, 08:21 PM

KR1156

Thanks for the tip. I did take down the red and yellow already, but I lowered them some more. It seems to be helping, if for no other reason than to make all the amoeba-looking squiggles all over the skin to look more neutral in color. I guess I can add color back in when I'm done - if that ever happens. HaHa
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2007, 03:28 AM

by adjusting I think people mean in Adobe RAW you adjust the temp, white balance and so on. Then you save it down as a TIF. Open the TIF file in Photoshop and begin retouching. Do some cleaning with clone and healing tool. Then start your dodge and burn on a softlight layer.

Yes it will be REALLY different and take a LOT longer on a high resolution TIFF file that on a jpg. There will be much more detail there. That is why for high end work they shoot in RAW as all the pores and details are picked up in the skin. Where I work we spend one to two working days retouching a face. The image is shot on a high end digital back (22 mega pxl camera) these produce images at A3 size straight out of the camera.

Just keep going - eventually you will start to see a difference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 AM

dont forget that you can adjust the dodge and burn tool for highlights, shadows, or midtones
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajenna View Post
I have CS2, so maybe there's something different/better in CS3? But, what I'm wondering is what exactly is meant by "doing adjustments first". For instance, do you mean the hue saturation contrast kind of stuff? And are you saying that it's preferred to do whatever those adjustments are first before opening in PS? Since this is the first image I've ever seen in RAW, I'm at a loss.

Diana
yes its the hue saturation contrast kind of thing. here you set the wanted whitebalance, exposure, contrasts etc etc. then like someone said, you convert it to a tiff format. preferly 16-bit for the greater color range.

the adobe raw converter in photoshop cs3 is actually much much better. more options.

can i ask what kind of camera + software this raw pic is from?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 AM

Hi Camilla_k,

I didn't do much in the way of adjustments in RAW first. I changed to 16 bit and took down the saturation a little in the reds and yellows. Everything else I left as is because the picture was taken by an actual photographer, and I figured he knew more than me about white balance, etc. In other words, I didn't want to mess anything up that he purposely tried to create. He said he used a Canon, but I can't remember the exact model. I'm at work right now, but I'll get that info when I get home.

Thanks much for your help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:12 AM

Where I work we spend one to two working days retouching a face.

Well, I guess I know how I'm going to be spending my weekend. Haha
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camilla_k View Post
can i ask what kind of camera + software this raw pic is from?

It's a Canon 5D. I'm not a photographer, so I don't know if that's good or bad. I don't know what kind of software the photographer used, but I've got it in Photoshop now.

Diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajenna View Post

Diana
Diana I´think that I know what you aren´t understanding (perhaps not), When he said "doing adjustments first". and "those adjustments are first before opening in PS?" they are talking about managing Raw files. The Raw file format is prepare to saave all the optical signals directly from the camera, This format needs to be processed by a firmware or software in order to get a bitmap file that you can edit in an image editing software (like Photoshop). The camera firmware can make this process and give us a JPEG file if you like to use the RAW file you need a software to make the process. Nikon, canon, etc, have software to manage their own RAW files (nef, cr2), develop with color adjustments and convert this in any standard file format like tiff, or bmp or jpeg. But Adobe (apple too) has software to mage raw files if you double click or drag a raw file to your PS, Adobe Camera Raw open, and there you can make a lot of color adjustements crops etc,. These adjustments never modified the raw file, because after you make the adjustments you need to export to another format and THEN you can edit in Photoshop. I don´t know and I can´t understand what is happened with d&b (I understand that something is wrong) but is impossible apply them to a raw file, you must convert it before edit in Photoshop. that is the meaning of doing adjustments first and before opening iin photoshop.
Forgive my bad english,
Mariano

Last edited by molabar; 06-27-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching