RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Changing the background

Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 PM

Changing the background

Hi,

I would like to changae the background on this image to say a beach or something appropriate, but I don't want it too look fake. i.e. if you put her on the beach the light will be wrong etc. Any ideas how i can do this or could someone point me in the right direction?

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...71048872399286

Thanks

P.S. i'm new to retouching!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Re: Changing the background

You have a lot of light on the subject, so it won't hurt to put her in a sunny scene. Just be sure to pay attention to the perspective of what ever seen you choose to put her into. Also a key to making a montage work, is to put the character into the scene, not just in front of it. That means adding appropriate shadows, and putting the subject not only in front of objects, but behind other objects as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2007, 02:00 AM

I think the easiest way to not make it look fake is to set it against a low light backdrop just like it actually is (eg., a beach at night with a campfire). Then it'll look fairly natural as though it were shot with a flash (which it was.)

Otherwise it would have to be a scene with the sun low and shining in her face (again, simulating what the flash was doing.) Then you'd add a warming filter to mimick the orange color of sunlight in such a condition.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the reply's: Bart thats the lines i was hoping to go for but haven't found an appropriate picture yet. I don't want it to be too out of focus, i want it to look like she is clearly on holiday or something similiar but without it looking too "photoshoped"!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2007, 01:07 AM

Don't forget, in the Image menu under Adjustments, the Color Match tool in Photoshop. If you learn how to use this tool it is easy to match colors in two separate images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2007, 04:05 AM

Just curious .. do these quickies look to fake?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002071048872399286_rsA.jpg (96.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2002071048872399286_rsB.jpg (96.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2002071048872399286_rsC.jpg (87.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 2002071048872399286_rsD.jpg (96.9 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 AM

Hi grannysdc,

Thanks for that, they look cool. But yes they don't look "right" or maybe its just me...!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2007, 06:16 PM

Your cut outs look very good. The reason that they don't look "right" is you perspective is off. When ever adding a subject into a new background, you need to find the horizon line. On picture # 1 that would be where the sand meets the bushes. # 2 where the water meets the mountains, #3 about 2/3 up the windshield, and #4 where the water meets the sky. I most cases, you want you subjects eye's to be even with the horizon line. For #1, your subject is about right for a down angle shot, but appears to be a bit too big. # 2 is too low, and # 3 and # 4 too high. The other thing that would help, is when you have a hair line like in # 1, is make the transition softer. The top of her head looks cut out. The edge of hair is hard too see, so I would soften the cutout with a soft brush eraser, or even better, with a layer mask.

Also, another trick to making photo realistic montages is to, put something not only behind your subject, but also in front, so they appear to be interacting with the scene. An example of this would be to have your subject in photo number three shown sitting inside the car, as seen by her disappearing behind the car door at the bottom.

Here is a montage I did where you can see what I mean by the subjects interacting with the scene.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PiggysKitchen.jpg (67.8 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2007, 12:34 AM

Let me start by saying that I agree with all the solutions, suggestions, and pitfalls presented above and Mr. Cox you are right.. I am always straightening pictures and people before I start to work on them and it completely escaped me this time.. Guess I got wrapped up trying to find a fun location outdoors for a snapshot taken inside with an on camera flash... OR, maybe it is simply A.G.E....

I wish there were more of the individual showing... like legs, arms, whole upper body, etc..., things would have be much easier (but I still would have probably forgotten to straighten)..

Me thinks that this particular photo is going to be difficult to transpose as the OP wants.. The lady has only half a shoulder.. no arms, legs, or waist.. I found it funny when Mr. Cox said that she "appears to be a bit too big" in the first picture.. actually she is much smaller than the person she replaced on the beach. In the other pictures she is very near the same size and position as those she replaced.. except for the car, initially she was in the same position and size as the original.. but the glasses looked way off on her head and were sort of sideways, so I moved her.. it still looked bad and I finally moved and rearranged the glasses.. then said to heck with it .. posted everything and went to bed.. anyways.. You are right she is tilted a bit.. but I think it makes her look sort of sexy..

I didn't think that they looked THAT fake, BUT then again, I broke my own rules and did not let my better half inspect them before posting.. (who by the way simply said "Yep they are right, and the colors need a little work too.."... I learned a long time ago that others do not see things the same as myself and I value their input..

I welcome constructive criticism and listen and try to implement new things learned.. would be interested in seeing a montage from Mr. Cox utilizing the picture provided by the OP.

Granny

These were my source pictures:
(I blocked out the faces because I do not know these people and do not have permission to use their likeness)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beach.jpg (97.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg lake.jpg (98.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg car.jpg (97.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg boat.jpg (98.6 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote from Granny: "I didn't think that they looked THAT fake, BUT then again,"

They didn't look really fake, actually they are pretty good. I was just attempting to give you a constructive critique. I sometimes learn more from my mistakes than my successes. Sometimes originals can be improved on as well.

Keep up the good work
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching