RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

who will publish this interview online? yeah, copyright trouble. where can i buy this issue?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 04:22 PM

Ok I quote the essential bits from the interview:

"I don't think there is one consistent look" claims Dave in response to the enormous amount of blogs and forums discussing the Dave Hill effect. "My Photoshop work has defintely changed over time. I no longer smooth skin I used to, for one and there is no single recipe for what i do either. I am using a bunch of different things, all applied locally using layer masks. Sharpening, dodging and burning with curves and alterations in the hue and saturation of certain colours. I will often desaturate the blacks as well so there is no evidence of color cast there. I will try different approaches for different scenes. I always try to play with the highlights and shadows, and quite often boost highlights by painting locally with lightening curves layers. its all the basic stuff really, masking with the Pen tool then getting stuck in with adjustment layers and their masks.

Its a look that has been popular in advertising for some time particularly in the car industry, where heavy UMS with high radius settings and comparatively low Amount settings is used to increase edge contrast, before saturation is toned down. Highlights and shadows are dodged with separate curves layers and their masks....

Basic stuff you and me know already!!

I personally think much of forum people hype up the mystery of his techniques and will be surprised his techniques are quite basic....the same is true with Amy Dresser stuff before she explained her workflows...people were speculating that some mysterious and complex techniques which turn out to be very simple.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM

great one. now close the thread

just kiddin'...

click
some expensive light , skin smoothing (oh my god, dave hill doesn't do skinsmoothing!!!! ), d&b, curve adjustments.

Last edited by Ich.Mario; 08-22-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 04:22 PM

Hello all,

after reading the Dave Hill article in Digital SLR Photography and contemplating for a while, i took some pictures earlier today. The picture i have attached is very simple as far as lighting is concerned, it was one bare flash pointing out of my window onto the street, powerful enough to overpower the sun slightly. The sun was coming from behind. in an ideal world, to get that Dave Hill look i would have had 2 kick lights behind the guy, but unfortunately this was impossible as i am tethered to mains power for the time being and the street was very busy and i didn't want people tripping over wires!

here is a before and after @ 25%:
www.whoissam.co.uk/n_before_after.jpg

What you are seeing:
Dave Hill said in the article that he does alot with layer masks so this led me to process things individually (face and arms, tshirt, jeans, the road and finally the sky) to be honest i dont know why i didnt think of this before as it is so easy to do and improves the quality of the final image (i guess this is all part of learning!) To sharpen the image i used Lucus Art and got it to the amount that suited each individual component of the image, then i dodged and burned for a bit. That is pretty much all the processing for the image!

As you can see with just a guy standing infront of my camera, the image is a bit boring. If i had him wrestling an alligator or something in the street with some kick lights behind him, im sure it would look more 'Dave Hill' :-p. I suppose this is my last point: Dave Hill has a great talent for coming up with ideas and scenarios for pictures, and if you want to take a picture that looks like his you have to have a humorous or interesting subject in the first place!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n_small.jpg (35.7 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 04:56 PM

Dave Hill???
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 05:42 PM

In Digital SLR Photography article, it didn't mention why Dave often uses ringflash as fill light.

His lighting technique is nothing unique...many other photogrpahers use the same lighting. But it is interesting that he uses ring flash as fill on the top of a secondary brolly fill light. Jill Greenburg uses ring light as fill too. I have a good thought about it and can only think of two reasons:

1) ring flash is very effective fill light as it envelopes the subject and Dave often shoots very close to his subjects with wide angle lens to get his typical perspective effect. He would block some of the brolly fill light if he stands that close. So the ringflash is effective in his style of shooting. The brolly acts as secondary fill.

2) brolly fill produces soft light. Ring light is a small size of light source, so it produces a semi-hard light which is more specular---> popping the highlights of the subject skins and clothes. This will help later post-production process as he would have some exsitng highlights to start with, rather creating highlights not there in the first place.

It seems Dave uses very weak ring flash fill, if he shoot the subject at tight distance, he would have to use very low power, so maybe thats' why he put black tapes to cover part of the ring light reflector in his video....to cut down the power further below the minimum power available from the Profoto pack...otherwise he would have to cut a donut shape neutral density gel to cover the reflector, or alternatively bump up the power of the key and shoot with smaller f-stop. I don't know if this makes senses..otherwise i cannot think of other reason why he used black tapes in that occasion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlo View Post
In Digital SLR Photography article, it didn't mention why Dave often uses ringflash as fill light.

His lighting technique is nothing unique...many other photogrpahers use the same lighting. But it is interesting that he uses ring flash as fill on the top of a secondary brolly fill light. Jill Greenburg uses ring light as fill too. I have a good thought about it and can only think of two reasons:

1) ring flash is very effective fill light as it envelopes the subject and Dave often shoots very close to his subjects with wide angle lens to get his typical perspective effect. He would block some of the brolly fill light if he stands that close. So the ringflash is effective in his style of shooting. The brolly acts as secondary fill.

2) brolly fill produces soft light. Ring light is a small size of light source, so it produces a semi-hard light which is more specular---> popping the highlights of the subject skins and clothes. This will help later post-production process as he would have some exsitng highlights to start with, rather creating highlights not there in the first place.

It seems Dave uses very weak ring flash fill, if he shoot the subject at tight distance, he would have to use very low power, so maybe thats' why he put black tapes to cover part of the ring light reflector in his video....to cut down the power further below the minimum power available from the Profoto pack...otherwise he would have to cut a donut shape neutral density gel to cover the reflector, or alternatively bump up the power of the key and shoot with smaller f-stop. I don't know if this makes senses..otherwise i cannot think of other reason why he used black tapes in that occasion.
I think your analysis of his use of ringflash is pretty spot-on. I often shoot pretty close to my subjects with wide angles and hate having to compromise my shooting position to accommodate my lighting. That's why my next light is going to be the ABR800. Good call on the gaffer's tape as well- I haven't heard a logical explanation for that before, but yours is quite convincing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 10:58 PM

Smile Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
Wow ! such great stuff
would it be possible for you to share your technics with us here in this thread?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 AM

What does he write in the article? Some secrets? Some things we already didnt know?
I dont think so...

Is there a link to the article? I dont think so again:-)

lg Calvin
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinhollywood View Post
What does he write in the article? Some secrets? Some things we already didnt know?
I dont think so...

Is there a link to the article? I dont think so again:-)

lg Calvin

I quoted his descriptions of photoshop workflows in the article before. That is very much the main bit!

The article describes many examples of how he create and shot separate elements of each scene to create the composite...its very interesting stuff to read. But if you watch his behind the scene videos, you would have seen some of the stuff already.
I like his ghetto and laid back ways of creating water splash in his bathroom and fire in his parking lot. I am not really interested in Dave Hill's style of retouching but i learn something by looking his behind the scenes stuff. I admire this guy's creative imagination and how he uses minimum resources to create something that looks like big budget production. It is rare that photographers reveal trade secrets to the rest of the world and Dave is unique in this sense.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching