RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:15 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
steveB: Jill Greenbergs pictures are often retouched by Amy Dresser...so....her pictures isn't really hers since everyone loves the effect of the pictures...

gerry
I'm sure that is very possible about Amy Dresser working on Jill's work. I first heard about Greenberg when I read and saw some of her images featured in an article in a digital photography magazine. I will review that article and for anyone interested in learning more about Greenberg's work, it appeared in Digital PhotoPro, Sep/Oct 2005 p 60-70. Doesn't seem to be any mention of Amy Dresser at that time, but now in 2007, who knows what she may be doing and hiring to do her post work. I do remember it said Jill still worked a lot with film cameras and then did the retouching herself with masking, D&B. Also in other interviews with Jill, she is asked questions about her post work and stylistic look

Whatever and who ever does the post work, it is quite interesting and now I may have to jump in and experiment with some of these techniques many of you have tried out

steve

Last edited by SteveB2005; 09-14-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 04:26 PM

KR: You are right in the control, but I feel that the retouching amy does on Jills picture are so good that the picture itself get's more in the background...Hard to explain in words, but when I see jill greeneberg pictures I see the effect more than the picture itself...

gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 04:28 PM

amys not her only retoucher, and she enhances that effect herself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 PM

KR: r u sure? I've heard other things...everytime Jill greenberg is mentioned amy dresser is also mentioned, so I have drwan my own conclusion really...that she has retouched most of her work...but I haven't been 100% sure...are you?

Cheers for answering

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 PM

having worked on some stuff, i'm pretty sure.

she shoots a ton of stuff, so it is spread out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 PM

that was a cool movie though, almost didn't make it through the 1st halfhour.....once i see freaks, and mutants and all kinds of nonsense i usually skip town!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
KR: You are right in the control, but I feel that the retouching amy does on Jills picture are so good that the picture itself get's more in the background...Hard to explain in words, but when I see jill greeneberg pictures I see the effect more than the picture itself...

gerry
Superkoax, here is a link about Jill Greenberg's workflow and her photography and her retouching

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/art/t...greenberg.html

See what you think

steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2007, 11:29 PM

Hey =]
I think CMS is definatly correct =] and im no expert but from what i can see im pretty sure in one of his photos you could see the reflection of a Ring Flash in the guys glasses, this already makes the photo jump out and give a cool effect. Then in photoshop he would probably do alot of Painting with Light technique =] sort of like Jill Greenberg, she also uses Ring Flash. So yeh like CMS said he takes multiple shots and combines them to get an overall sharp image.

hope this helped a bit?

-Angelo
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 AM

Although I am just a model, I do alot of Photoshop editing too see all of what I can create. I have tried my hands at the Dave Hill effect and would love to hear what you guys thing. This is an image (of myself) where I am dressed like a guy. Basically what I did with the image was this: The image was on an all white background, I cut myself out and placed me on this street/graffiti background. I adjusted the lighting a bit on myself and on the background and continued on with the dave hill effect. :-)

Sharene P
www.freewebs.com/sharenep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave hillresized.jpg (94.8 KB, 607 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Lightbulb Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostProcessor View Post
Hey =]
I think CMS is definatly correct =] and im no expert but from what i can see im pretty sure in one of his photos you could see the reflection of a Ring Flash in the guys glasses, this already makes the photo jump out and give a cool effect. Then in photoshop he would probably do alot of Painting with Light technique =] sort of like Jill Greenberg, she also uses Ring Flash. So yeh like CMS said he takes multiple shots and combines them to get an overall sharp image.

hope this helped a bit?

-Angelo
A photography student I know told me that Jill Greenberg was scheduled to give a talk and when Q&A was opened up from the students to Jill about her PS retouching and workflow, she was very vague about how she accomplishes her look. In interviews, she will just say, "I just use a lot of masking, painting and dodge and burn." Man, that answer really helps doesn't it?

But then again they still keep the top secret recipe for Coca-Cola locked up in a vault as well as McDada's "Secret Sauce." steve
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching