RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1111  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Michael Bonner Michael Bonner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 38
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Plug-ins will not get you there at all. Perhaps at first glance they look alright, but if you look more closely at the example posted, you'll notice an obliteration of detail, haloing, loss of saturation, and uncontrolled shadows and highlights. No offense to you, snook, as I quite admire your fashion and beauty work, but the version you posted looks exactly like it's been run through a plug-in.

As I mentioned before, the answers are in this thread. I spent about an hour on the example below (which, mind you, is not quite lit correctly for this processing). With the right lighting, though, the difference would be even more pronounced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orig.jpg (80.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Step-1.jpg (83.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Step-2.jpg (84.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Step-3.jpg (85.3 KB, 153 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #1112  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 PM
skydog's Avatar
skydog skydog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Carolina
Posts: 1,294
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

I took the original (hope that was okay) and just used Lucis (per some a crappy plug-in - can't wait to get the $600 version) and got this. By no means is this Dave Hill, but I do believe with good lighting as previously mentioned, a good camera, that the post processing with Lucis an interesting similar photo could be achieved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07914-web copy.jpg (72.2 KB, 140 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #1113  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 PM
snook305's Avatar
snook305 snook305 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South
Posts: 426
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bonner View Post
Plug-ins will not get you there at all. Perhaps at first glance they look alright, but if you look more closely at the example posted, you'll notice an obliteration of detail, haloing, loss of saturation, and uncontrolled shadows and highlights. No offense to you, snook, as I quite admire your fashion and beauty work, but the version you posted looks exactly like it's been run through a plug-in.

As I mentioned before, the answers are in this thread. I spent about an hour on the example below (which, mind you, is not quite lit correctly for this processing). With the right lighting, though, the difference would be even more pronounced.
Well that may be as I stated b/c it is a VERY VERY Low Jpeg.
If you would have read my post you would have figured that out...
But your no different than half the people in here who do not read before they make stupid remarks...
So don't feel bad, you'll get the hang of it...:+]
Snook
Reply With Quote top
  #1114  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 PM
snook305's Avatar
snook305 snook305 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South
Posts: 426
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bonner View Post
Plug-ins will not get you there at all. Perhaps at first glance they look alright, but if you look more closely at the example posted, you'll notice an obliteration of detail, haloing, loss of saturation, and uncontrolled shadows and highlights. No offense to you, snook, as I quite admire your fashion and beauty work, but the version you posted looks exactly like it's been run through a plug-in.

As I mentioned before, the answers are in this thread. I spent about an hour on the example below (which, mind you, is not quite lit correctly for this processing). With the right lighting, though, the difference would be even more pronounced.
Michael, it might help if you do not focus on the background..
Try and focus on the main subject.
Your image is very OOF... time for a reshoot?
Snook
Reply With Quote top
  #1115  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Michael Bonner Michael Bonner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 38
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
Well that may be as I stated b/c it is a VERY VERY Low Jpeg.
If you would have read my post you would have figured that out...
But your no different than half the people in here who do not read before they make stupid remarks...
So don't feel bad, you'll get the hang of it...:+]
Snook
Actually, Snook, I retouched the exact same JPEG you're referring to and experienced none of the issues you found with the plug-ins. However, I took it down upon Mtmm's request to respect his wishes. At a high resolution, the haloing would be less evident and the detail would be less obviously obliterated, but you would still not be approaching quality results. Your dismissive tone does little to add to your credibility.
Reply With Quote top
  #1116  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Michael Bonner Michael Bonner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 38
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
Michael, it might help if you do not focus on the background..
Try and focus on the main subject.
Your image is very OOF... time for a reshoot?
Snook
For someone so familiar with the properties of low-resolution JPEGs, I'm surprised at your analysis. The quality/size compromise to upload the image to RetouchPro is the main problem. Here's the photo on my website in a less compressed form, if you'd like to check the focus: http://www.michaelbonnerphoto.com/im..._6843_Edit.jpg

Here's a 100% crop as well, just to be sure: http://www.michaelbonnerphoto.com/ph...100percent.jpg

Last edited by Michael Bonner; 09-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #1117  
Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Michael Bonner Michael Bonner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 38
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Here's a much larger file with the before and after. As I said before, this photo is not lit properly- there are three soft light sources in here versus the five light setup that's been discussed earlier in this thread. I was simply trying to demonstrate the effects of luminosity masking and dodging and burning. If you'd rather turn this thread into a series of posts sniping at one another instead of a discussion of interesting techniques that can be applied to all types of photography, then by all means, continue. Personally, I'd like to see more discussion of various actual techniques, but to each his own.

http://www.michaelbonnerphoto.com/ph...fore-After.jpg

Last edited by Michael Bonner; 09-03-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #1118  
Old 09-04-2008, 12:17 AM
vapour vapour is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 139
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
hahahaha
wait...
hahahahaha
again...
hahahaha
You guys crack me up....:+}
Snook
What? I do not understand what's so funny.

Yes Snook, your commercial/natural (non-conceptual/illustrative) photography is great. I've seen it. Some of your ring flash shots and other fashion stuff is really good. You know photography.

I have been following this thread since it started granted I've only had a few posts. There is a lot of wealth on these forums.

Back when there was a user named Faust was posting and since disappeared, I've learned a lot from what he took away from the forums as well as some of Mtmm tips.

Every single tip that I've found useful did not involve a one-stop filter. To yield the pristine results that Dave Hill is getting requires lots of different localized curve layers, dodge and burn, and various other tonal balance methods. How exactly he goes about doing that hasn't been spelt out here in one post, however some users have touch on some of the big steps.
Reply With Quote top
  #1119  
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 AM
Ich.Mario Ich.Mario is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Posts: 71
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

thats the point. snook does some good stuff. so why the plugin-story? he knows it better.
Reply With Quote top
  #1120  
Old 09-04-2008, 06:06 AM
julianmarsalis julianmarsalis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 333
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bonner View Post
Here's a much larger file with the before and after. As I said before, this photo is not lit properly- there are three soft light sources in here versus the five light setup that's been discussed earlier in this thread. I was simply trying to demonstrate the effects of luminosity masking and dodging and burning. If you'd rather turn this thread into a series of posts sniping at one another instead of a discussion of interesting techniques that can be applied to all types of photography, then by all means, continue. Personally, I'd like to see more discussion of various actual techniques, but to each his own.

http://www.michaelbonnerphoto.com/ph...fore-After.jpg
Nice work curious of your silky smooth skin treatment is it just D&B?
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1st attemp at dave hill look tha king Photo Retouching 13 04-17-2010 12:44 PM
Looking for help in recreating Dave Hill look. Caesium Photo Retouching 15 04-27-2009 11:52 AM
Creative interpretations: Flowers - Tulips on a hill DannyRaphael Photo-Based Art 11 09-09-2004 01:51 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved