RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Plug-ins will not get you there at all. Perhaps at first glance they look alright, but if you look more closely at the example posted, you'll notice an obliteration of detail, haloing, loss of saturation, and uncontrolled shadows and highlights. No offense to you, snook, as I quite admire your fashion and beauty work, but the version you posted looks exactly like it's been run through a plug-in.

As I mentioned before, the answers are in this thread. I spent about an hour on the example below (which, mind you, is not quite lit correctly for this processing). With the right lighting, though, the difference would be even more pronounced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orig.jpg (80.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Step-1.jpg (83.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Step-2.jpg (84.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Step-3.jpg (85.3 KB, 153 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 PM

I took the original (hope that was okay) and just used Lucis (per some a crappy plug-in - can't wait to get the $600 version) and got this. By no means is this Dave Hill, but I do believe with good lighting as previously mentioned, a good camera, that the post processing with Lucis an interesting similar photo could be achieved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07914-web copy.jpg (72.2 KB, 140 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bonner View Post
Plug-ins will not get you there at all. Perhaps at first glance they look alright, but if you look more closely at the example posted, you'll notice an obliteration of detail, haloing, loss of saturation, and uncontrolled shadows and highlights. No offense to you, snook, as I quite admire your fashion and beauty work, but the version you posted looks exactly like it's been run through a plug-in.

As I mentioned before, the answers are in this thread. I spent about an hour on the example below (which, mind you, is not quite lit correctly for this processing). With the right lighting, though, the difference would be even more pronounced.
Well that may be as I stated b/c it is a VERY VERY Low Jpeg.
If you would have read my post you would have figured that out...
But your no different than half the people in here who do not read before they make stupid remarks...
So don't feel bad, you'll get the hang of it...:+]
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Michael, it might help if you do not focus on the background..
Try and focus on the main subject.
Your image is very OOF... time for a reshoot?
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
Well that may be as I stated b/c it is a VERY VERY Low Jpeg.
If you would have read my post you would have figured that out...
But your no different than half the people in here who do not read before they make stupid remarks...
So don't feel bad, you'll get the hang of it...:+]
Snook
Actually, Snook, I retouched the exact same JPEG you're referring to and experienced none of the issues you found with the plug-ins. However, I took it down upon Mtmm's request to respect his wishes. At a high resolution, the haloing would be less evident and the detail would be less obviously obliterated, but you would still not be approaching quality results. Your dismissive tone does little to add to your credibility.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Michael, it might help if you do not focus on the background..
Try and focus on the main subject.
Your image is very OOF... time for a reshoot?
Snook
For someone so familiar with the properties of low-resolution JPEGs, I'm surprised at your analysis. The quality/size compromise to upload the image to RetouchPro is the main problem. Here's the photo on my website in a less compressed form, if you'd like to check the focus: http://www.michaelbonnerphoto.com/im..._6843_Edit.jpg

Here's a 100% crop as well, just to be sure: http://www.michaelbonnerphoto.com/ph...100percent.jpg

Last edited by Michael Bonner; 09-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 PM

Here's a much larger file with the before and after. As I said before, this photo is not lit properly- there are three soft light sources in here versus the five light setup that's been discussed earlier in this thread. I was simply trying to demonstrate the effects of luminosity masking and dodging and burning. If you'd rather turn this thread into a series of posts sniping at one another instead of a discussion of interesting techniques that can be applied to all types of photography, then by all means, continue. Personally, I'd like to see more discussion of various actual techniques, but to each his own.

http://www.michaelbonnerphoto.com/ph...fore-After.jpg

Last edited by Michael Bonner; 09-03-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
hahahaha
wait...
hahahahaha
again...
hahahaha
You guys crack me up....:+}
Snook
What? I do not understand what's so funny.

Yes Snook, your commercial/natural (non-conceptual/illustrative) photography is great. I've seen it. Some of your ring flash shots and other fashion stuff is really good. You know photography.

I have been following this thread since it started granted I've only had a few posts. There is a lot of wealth on these forums.

Back when there was a user named Faust was posting and since disappeared, I've learned a lot from what he took away from the forums as well as some of Mtmm tips.

Every single tip that I've found useful did not involve a one-stop filter. To yield the pristine results that Dave Hill is getting requires lots of different localized curve layers, dodge and burn, and various other tonal balance methods. How exactly he goes about doing that hasn't been spelt out here in one post, however some users have touch on some of the big steps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 AM

thats the point. snook does some good stuff. so why the plugin-story? he knows it better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Here's a much larger file with the before and after. As I said before, this photo is not lit properly- there are three soft light sources in here versus the five light setup that's been discussed earlier in this thread. I was simply trying to demonstrate the effects of luminosity masking and dodging and burning. If you'd rather turn this thread into a series of posts sniping at one another instead of a discussion of interesting techniques that can be applied to all types of photography, then by all means, continue. Personally, I'd like to see more discussion of various actual techniques, but to each his own.

http://www.michaelbonnerphoto.com/ph...fore-After.jpg
Nice work curious of your silky smooth skin treatment is it just D&B?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching