RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 09-05-2008, 04:09 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
indeed
does anyone could explain me how to desaturate the blacks?
i didnt figure it out
I'm pretty sure desaturating the blacks is exactly what it sounds like- taking everything black (or, in actuality, near-black) and taking all the color information out of it.

Try going into Select > Color Range with black as your foreground color. Play with the fuzziness until you only have the tones you want to adjust. Then use that selection as the layer mask to a hue/saturation layer set to -100 saturation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 04:12 PM

to be honest, tose tim tadder shots look no where near as good as dave hills shots, don't get me wrong i would love to take shots like that but imo they aren't in the same league as dave hill, i think the keywords in dave hills style is clean and crisp, even fiscus shots are not as clean imo, i don't quite know what it is about daves shots but is definately not JUST dodge and burn, they are like shiny and glossy without being greasy looking it's weird?!?!?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bonner View Post
I'm pretty sure desaturating the blacks is exactly what it sounds like- taking everything black (or, in actuality, near-black) and taking all the color information out of it.

Try going into Select > Color Range with black as your foreground color. Play with the fuzziness until you only have the tones you want to adjust. Then use that selection as the layer mask to a hue/saturation layer set to -100 saturation.
cheers i'm too stupid.
thanks for this.

that's weird, i don't see a lot of changes anyway.
depend of the pics but that doesnt do a lot of things
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
cheers i'm too stupid.
thanks for this.

that's weird, i don't see a lot of changes anyway.
depend of the pics but that doesnt do a lot of things
The only reason I can see for using it is that if you had a photo where there was some color bleed into the dark shadow tones, it'd improve the "clean" look of the photo and the apparent contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 05:02 PM

yep
i tried again on few pics and looks fine & much clean
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslyda View Post
to be honest, tose tim tadder shots look no where near as good as dave hills shots, don't get me wrong i would love to take shots like that but imo they aren't in the same league as dave hill, i think the keywords in dave hills style is clean and crisp, even fiscus shots are not as clean imo, i don't quite know what it is about daves shots but is definately not JUST dodge and burn, they are like shiny and glossy without being greasy looking it's weird?!?!?
"Good" is subjective. If you ask their respective clients, I'm sure you'd hear equally glowing appraisals of their work. It all depends on what you're aiming for. Same goes for Fiscus. If you mean smoother and less gritty, then what I said earlier about simplifying shadows and highlights applies. When something looks "shiny," it's simply the way it reflects the light that hits it. So to make something that's matte look shiny, you change the way it appears to reflect light. Dodging and burning is a pretty effective way to achieve this. Here's an example to demonstrate my point: http://www.michaelbonnerphoto.com/photos/D&B.jpg

Note: This is not an attempt at the DH look- merely an example to demonstrate a technique that contributes to it. Keep in mind that Dave Hill is embellishing *actual* highlights - even in the low-res screen grab of the wrestler, you can see the distinct highlights from the hard rim lights. Building upon these results in even cleaner, shinier final products. I've attached a copy of my D&B layers as well to illustrate the type of adjustments I'm describing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D&B Layers.jpg (43.9 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Michael Bonner; 09-05-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 05:46 AM

One thing I have always wondered. Dave has some pretty damn big clients, but he uses low-end gear. That is a scientific fact, you get better photos with better gear. He don´t even use L-optics with Canon 5D. Low-end shitty lens attached to 5D FF camera will generate shitty photos at the edges. Still Dave´s photos are so sharp, so clean, wtf?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmm View Post
One thing I have always wondered. Dave has some pretty damn big clients, but he uses low-end gear. That is a scientific fact, you get better photos with better gear. He don´t even use L-optics with Canon 5D. Low-end shitty lens attached to 5D FF camera will generate shitty photos at the edges. Still Dave´s photos are so sharp, so clean, wtf?

I believe his way of lighting helps that as well I noticed when I changed to a harder light and started to use hard rimlighting as well my images became all the more sharper and gave greater contrast plus add in ring light fill and bam I bet that's where it is. Also using silver reflectors seems to help contrast and sharpness as well. Then in post you can really have the basis to sharpen it even more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 AM

But that does not help lens distortion or other lens flaws.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 10:46 AM

Dave Hill has been using a HassleBlad for a while now which will Blow any DSLR out of the water.
Also His lens are plenty sharp to get sharp pictures, especially after all the sharpening he does..

But why don't you go ask in a photography forum as this is a retouch forum.
You can probably go leech there also...:+]

Dave like his photography is moving up.. He is not using ghetto equipment that much anymore..
I think is was embarrassing charging big $$$$ and shooting with a 5D and White lightning ain't gonna cut it..
Now he is shooting HassleBlad and using 30" cinema displays...
Snook
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching