RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:04 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

In any interview, video or podcast, he is telling his equipment. And always, low-end stuff. It is not possible to get sharp images from edge to edge with low-end lenses. Cinema display has nothing to do with this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 12:09 PM

why would need edge to edge when he is shooting his subjects in the middle.
Your should first know what you talking about before you try to talk the talk...:+}
Again, go check on the photography websites ... then come back...
Edge to edge is usually something a Landscape photographer bitches about.. Not someone shooting portraits for pasting in new backgrounds...:+}
I guess you believe everything dave hill says..
You know there is no such thing as Santa Claus.. right?

Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 12:20 PM

This must be news for you, but there is backgrounds in Daves photos. But if I look at your "hi im snook and I can copy Dave with my plugin" photo, I'm not suprised, that you are so out of league. Cinema display, lol, since when apples monitor has been an issue when taking a photo, lol!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Equipment has nothing to do with it..
And what are you trying to ask..
You asked like you doubt it... If he says he is using Low end stuff and you believe it,
What are you asking?
You state that Low end shitty lens attached to a 5D produce shitty images...
And that is what Dave Hill is using, than you are saying his images are shitty?
I think every time you post, you sound like some Pimply face,chubby little punk who is trying to stir up argument...
DO you even know what you are asking anymore.
Again this is a retouch forum.. Not a Amateur photography forum..
You constantly contridict yourself even in the same phrase sometimes.
Just like your comment about Hypass Bleach filter you said you used then 2 post later you freak out saying you never said that...
Sounds like you have some issues and a Love affair with Dave Hill.
I suggest you start a Dave Hill Fan Club Blob.
You can name it:
How many Dave Hills does it take to screw in a Light Bulb...??
Only one and about 5 others below saying Oooooh How did you do that dave...:+}
Hope you find a cure for your dave Hill syndrome and why he uses shitty lens...:+}

Oh.. yeh it is in the lighting..... LOL, And now thanks to you, apparently the secret is it, you need shitty lens...
Might be a good time to sell all those "L" lens and Buy shitty lens...
Snook:
Let's make a Dave Hill List:

One Shitty Lens
One Shitty Camera
4-5 Shitty Lights
2-3 Shitty assistants
No shitty Cinema Display 30" Better to use the Shitty 5D LCD
No Shitty Plug-in
Shitty Subjects
Shitty Location
One Shitty Ringflash
One really Shitty retoucher (Optional)...

I think that is about it... we got the Magic formula...

Last edited by snook305; 09-06-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 01:52 PM

You have a serious problem. Relax dude. You can make a new whining forum, that would me a succes for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 07:57 PM

Don't you know a cheapo 28mm f2.8 stopped down at f8 or f11 is every bit as sharp as expensive 24-70L glass and has less flare too?

There are loads of other great photographers in this world and the forums making Dave Hill sounds like the Mighty God of photography and overlooked lots of other fantastic photographers and other styles. Some of you guys probably have shrines of Dave Hill by your computer monitors.

Even he writes down his retouching work flows steps by steps, you can copy his look but cannot copy his talent and creative mind inside his head. It's not just about lighting and retouching; the artistic concept, execution of the ideas, attention to details like color,perspective, composition, the story of the photo..etc are all equally important.

Dave's lighting is really simple. Ringflash and 5 points lighting is not the only way forward. If you want to get massive details and textures, bringing out every single pore and every fibre, try light a subject with all hard lights plus one soft fill light..lighting small areas (use grid spots for key, multi-kickers or local area accent lights). You can use anything from 4 to 7 hard lights to light a single person and bring out maximum textures. It doesn't mean the resulting image looks like the light sources coming from all over the places, it is a question of fine tuning, control and balance of each light. You can only be excellent in lighting only if you throw away all the textbook lighting styles and think outside the box and dare to experiment.

I wish someone would discuss Javier Vallhonrat look in forums...who does far more amazing lighting and intriguing post-production.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:

I wish someone would discuss Javier Vallhonrat look in forums...who does far more amazing lighting and intriguing post-production.
If more people felt that way about his work I am sure there would. I just did a search and didn't see anything that made me take a second look care to share some?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmarsalis View Post
If more people felt that way about his work I am sure there would. I just did a search and didn't see anything that made me take a second look care to share some?

Its not much point because most people here are drawn into easily accessible Dave Hill comic strip look; if you can't see the poetry and vision of an artist,that means you are not in tune with the same wavelength, you can dismiss Javier Vallonrat's works as rubbish. The same is true with Poalo Riversi's stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlo View Post
Dave's lighting is really simple. Ringflash and 5 points lighting is not the only way forward.
You must be one of the best in the world if you think 5-point light setup as a really simple setup. You know, it´s not only that you have 5 lights, its how you set them up, how you feed them with power and what reflectors you use. 5-point is everything else but simple.

Or are you talking about continuous light where you just feed lamps with full power and then move them around?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlo View Post
Don't you know a cheapo 28mm f2.8 stopped down at f8 or f11 is every bit as sharp as expensive 24-70L glass and has less flare too?

There are loads of other great photographers in this world and the forums making Dave Hill sounds like the Mighty God of photography and overlooked lots of other fantastic photographers and other styles. Some of you guys probably have shrines of Dave Hill by your computer monitors.

Even he writes down his retouching work flows steps by steps, you can copy his look but cannot copy his talent and creative mind inside his head. It's not just about lighting and retouching; the artistic concept, execution of the ideas, attention to details like color,perspective, composition, the story of the photo..etc are all equally important.

Dave's lighting is really simple. Ringflash and 5 points lighting is not the only way forward. If you want to get massive details and textures, bringing out every single pore and every fibre, try light a subject with all hard lights plus one soft fill light..lighting small areas (use grid spots for key, multi-kickers or local area accent lights). You can use anything from 4 to 7 hard lights to light a single person and bring out maximum textures. It doesn't mean the resulting image looks like the light sources coming from all over the places, it is a question of fine tuning, control and balance of each light. You can only be excellent in lighting only if you throw away all the textbook lighting styles and think outside the box and dare to experiment.

Here Here :+}
Exactly..
Very nice explanation.
if Mtmm went to some of those amateur forums I told him to go to... He would know a lot of "shitty" lens are just as good most times as the L glass if you know where the sweet spot is.

Again I do not have time to fuss with young wannabe here..
I just like poking in every once in a while to let them know what I feel..:+}

There are so many talented photographers out there..

Dave hill Although really talented of course, is a one trick pony like I said and old news really....

It is all how you interpret a photograph through lighting, emotion, angle, etc..
Not by pushing a button and get a gritty grungy look of your sister neighbor friend....
There is A LOT of creation going on there as I have mentioned a thousand times.
Dave Hill is talented and uses a lot of creative people.. Period.
Going to step out for a while have a lot of work coming up the next couple of weeks..
Snook
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching