RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmarsalis View Post
No Jack ass I see your the ignorant little ahole who intrudes on others conversation cause u didn't get enough attention as a child.

Again can u read?

When I googled him I got Results 1 - 10 of about 38,000 for Javier Vallhonrat so I asked for him to point me to pics he thought best represented the artist in question because I didn't find any that I thought was that special short bus rider. Now quit trolling for a fight cause u will get one jack ass. Or just maybe reading comprehension isn't your strong point?

Again:
I hope this post gets back to what its supposed to be about how Dave Hill does work. If you don't like Dave Hill's work why bother post if you like someone else's work better make your own thread. This is about learning how something is done period. Funny thing tho every few posts you can actually learn something well that is if you have an open mind.
Just SHUT THE FUCK UP, and quit turning YOUR trolling onto ME.
Your narcissistic-forum-heroism is getting old.

Hint. No one will miss you around here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 AM

To recap this thread.

It's 20-30% lighting. You got to get the higlights and shadows right.
Then it's 70-80% Photoshop. Dodging and burning gets alot of mention.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 10:13 AM

hey mates, take it ez
don't waste your time argumentating on the net (:

pz
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 10:22 AM

Totally agree with Gee, even if someone has upset you, just be mature and ignore them.

There is a lot of seriously foul language creeping into this thread and I for one know that there are a lot of young re-touchers who are inspired by DH who will be reading it's content, who should not be exposed to this kind of content....
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhunter View Post
Just SHUT THE FUCK UP, and quit turning YOUR trolling onto ME.
Your narcissistic-forum-heroism is getting old.

Hint. No one will miss you around here.
Look your the troll and the tool here period just grow up and let the big boys play please no need for this really since I realize maybe you can't read.

Lets get back to the issue at hand some think everything been discussed me I like to see more of others attempts at the style myself especially without bad plugins that don't come close imho.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 PM

-----Getting back on topic-------

What does this effect do to the bigger picture of things...

Duplicate merge...
Convert to black and white...
High-pass...
Set to Linear Light...
Gaussian Blur a little...

Then localize that?

I know its useful but I do not know how to apply it properly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour View Post
-----Getting back on topic-------

What does this effect do to the bigger picture of things...

Duplicate merge...
Convert to black and white...
High-pass...
Set to Linear Light...
Gaussian Blur a little...

Then localize that?
Depending on the high pass settings it should up the contrast on the underlying image I believe something Bill simones does similar to that but uses luminosity. He uses a channel basically like the blue channel and the high pass filter.

http://www.billsimonephotography.com/

Quote:
Next I duplicated the blue channel, and copied and pasted it into a layer on top of the original, ran a pretty aggressive high radius, low amount unsharp mask on that layer and set it to luminosity.

After that some selective denoising using noise ninja was needed as this file was shot at ISO 400. I simply used the lasso tool to draw loose selections well feathered and then removed the noise.

Then began a process of isolating various elements in the photo and brightening or darkening them, and lots of Burning and Dodging using a mid gray softlight layer.
http://www.billsimonephotography.com/wordpress/
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Holy crap, Bill's stuff is amazing! Never seen it before. Too bad he shoots with a Hassel... I'm sure that makes up for a lot of the look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmarsalis View Post
I believe something Bill simones does similar to that but uses luminosity. He uses a channel basically like the blue channel and the high pass filter.]
Hmm could you explain that a little?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour View Post
Hmm could you explain that a little?

The best way is to check out Bill's blog at http://www.billsimonephotography.com/wordpress/ he breaks down how he uses it on the artist image as well as going into detail on his other work. A great read for sure.

Oh and be sure to read his boxer girl layer breakdown just awesome.

http://billsimonephotography.com/wordpress/?p=28

Quote:
ill try to describe the layers from the bottom up.

The first layer is not relevant it is simply a merge of all above.

#2 Is the HDR room scene background.
#3 Is a duplicate of the Room Scene Background desaturated and changed to multiply blend mode. Then a layer mask was applied and a hole
“punched” in it with a large soft edge brush. The purpose of this layer is to softly darken the edges, a “vignette” if you will. I like this method as it does not add any weird
saturation.
#4 Is a curves adjustment layer activated after a selection was made. It creates the beam of light crossing behind her.
#5 Is the previously masked model on a transparent field.
#6 Is a layer affecting only the model layer, some simple additional face retouching.
#7 Is a layer affecting only the model layer, a curves adjustment layer adjusting the shadow contrast on the face.
#8 Is a layer affecting only the model layer, a curves adjustment of a selection of the eyes to brighten them.
#9 Is a layer affecting only the model layer, a curves adjustment of a selection of the left eye only.
#10 Is a layer affecting only the model layer, a curves adjustment of a selection of the hand tape on the right to darken and add contrast.
#11 Is a layer affecting only the model layer, same tape on left.
#12 Is a layer affecting only the model layer, a curves adjustment layer to darken the model overall slightly.
#13 Is a layer affecting only the model layer, a hue saturation adjustment layer to slightly alter the hue of the model.
#14 Is a layer affecting only the model layer, a layer set to color on which I painted some warm tint into the ropes.
#15 I copied and pasted the ear and hands onto this layer and pulled out red. The hands and ears were a little too red.
#16 Is a layer set to color on which I painted the yellow into the windows on the right and wall on the left.
#17 Is a curves adjustment layer adjusting the yellow painted on the layer below.
#18 Is a softlight layer filled with 50% gray to burn and dodge the shorts to add to their dimension.
#19 Is the new catchlights in the eyes.

So thanks to Samit for his question and I hope everyone can benefit from this.
I think by far the most important thing to take away from this is that their is no “formula”. Each of these are subtle yet important details that contribute to the whole.
None or some of these may show up in another image. It all depends on what is required.

Thanks

Bill

Last edited by julianmarsalis; 09-09-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching