RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 09-10-2008, 05:02 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour View Post
Holy crap, Bill's stuff is amazing! Never seen it before. Too bad he shoots with a Hassel... I'm sure that makes up for a lot of the look.
it's alright saying that but we already know that dave doesn't use top of the range gear and look at what he produces, fair enough sometimes he does but not all the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 07:16 AM

can someone explain me, how to get such straight falling levels? look at picture from dave hill and the histogram. some more precicely, some not so precicley histogram curve. also tim tadder in his latest post on his blog has a damn exact straight histogram (always the falling curve, and uniform), as if an algorithm worked on the picture. damn, my english sucks.

are there any algorithm out there to force an histogram? maybe tweaking the "equalize"-thing in photoshop (image->adjust)?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslyda View Post
it's alright saying that but we already know that dave doesn't use top of the range gear and look at what he produces, fair enough sometimes he does but not all the time.
There certainly is a fine line between the two. Obviously a great camera with big megapixels is going to give you more headroom to tweak with in Photoshop. Also probably give you more clarity and sharpness when rendered down to the web.

I dont know, are you as only good as the weakest link in the chain? Camera, lights, lens and Photoshop know how.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM

If you remove the camera & lights and well.. lens as a mark of being good then maybe =)

Otherwise you would say that any picture taken with "inferior" technological equipment is automatically less than a picture taken with better equipment. And that statement is certanly false.

A good picture taken with a "bad" camera is still a good picture. But a bad picture taken with a hasselblad 39MP digital back is still a bad picture that takes up a lot of diskspace =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Yes, but in this particular style of photography... conceptual/illustrative photography decent gear is a must.

Does any other "conceptual" photographer have a tutorial/blog like Bill Simone?

RushWade2 has some case studies...
http://www.rushwade2.com/digitalimaging.cfm
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 12:26 PM

The Dave Hill look really isn't all that complicated to do really. It's not my personal style as a photographer (www.dennisonbertram.com) but I could do it if I wanted to. Really the key to this style is the lighting. You're not going to be able to photoshop some photo you already have lying around to get it to look like this. It needs to be lit, and with lots of light. Important is lighting the front and highlighting the edges of everything. (Don't underestimate lighting!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Sorry I wasn't finished with the above comment.

He also uses wide angle often- this makes it more dramatic visually. Then it's a matter of carefully making use of hi-pass filter sharpening (or the 'clarify' control in lightroom) combined with lots of solid black black and bright whites. (Hi contrast).

Really the magic is in the lighting the subjects outside. You need side lighting from the back and strong lighting on the front. Lots of big softboxes will work just fine. Most of these images will probally look about 80% perfect right out of the camera. The extra "sharpness" doesn't come from sharpening in photo shop, rather from all the lighting he is using. The hi-contrast lighting brings out the detail in the materials thus making it appear sharper. (Of course he probably also shoots at a really small ftop- like f22 or something)

If I get a chance in the next couple weeks, I'll try something similar.

dennison
www.dennisonbertram.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich.Mario View Post
can someone explain me, how to get such straight falling levels? look at picture from dave hill and the histogram. some more precicely, some not so precicley histogram curve. also tim tadder in his latest post on his blog has a damn exact straight histogram (always the falling curve, and uniform), as if an algorithm worked on the picture. damn, my english sucks.

are there any algorithm out there to force an histogram? maybe tweaking the "equalize"-thing in photoshop (image->adjust)?
for clarification a sample picture, from tim tadder.
i'm a supporter for the assumption, that it is all about lighting and many hours in photoshop (with d&b etc.). but somehow, some of the levels from images by dave hill or tim tadder looks a bit strange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 953853011.jpg (100.0 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 12:39 PM

oh, and you don't need super hi-end equipment to do stuff like this either. The hasselblad is nice but it's not necessary. Your canon 350D will do it just fine. The dynamic range is not important either really. 8 stops is enough, 12 is nice. It's all the lighting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM

The levels look like that because the image his really high contrast. The deep blacks make it punchy. Give it that 'look'. There might be D&B but you could do it without it. There's enough to make contrasty as is.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching