RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:51 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

dennisonb > if You are so shure... make a photo that looks like DH without PS.
Its ofcourse lighting, but this was all covered here. Some basic setups, some more advanced... but its not enought. The rest is in PS... and the way is important...
And after watching the wideo i think, that this may be quite big step forward .
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisonb View Post
Well he is definitly not painting it. Just ask him guys! It's standard stuff!

Adrian Sampson http://www.thetinymexicandivorce.com/ does the same stuff in the UK. A lot of commercial guys are shooting this way these days. It's not painting, it's good lighting!
lol, adrian sampson. this is like good-lighting, but no "oh my gosh"-lighting and then photoshop.

Last edited by Ich.Mario; 09-12-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 06:25 AM

Well I would like to actually, :-)

The only problem is that photoshoots are expensive, and time consuming. So I'm waiting for a good project to come around where this style might fit. If we can wait a month I'm sure I can get around to it. :-)

Otherwise, there is PS for sure but not 'magic'. You can get effects like this in lightroom easily enough by playing with Clarity, Fill, Black and Recovery.

What I can do, is I will look for something I already have, and apply the effects to see what I can get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 AM

that would be great.

but please, no raw-converter-crap it's been said a thousand times... no clarity/fill/black fiddling.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 AM

dennisonb -> i'm starting to think, that You dont know what You are saying...
Have You ever tried the "lightroom crank it all up" method? -> it gaves You a lot of halos and strange looking effects. Ofcourse it fits sometimes, but it's not even close to results that DH or Mtmm gets. Its like paint vs photoshop... and You tells as, that paint is better :P (for working with photography)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 AM

hahahahah, no don't worry. I've been on productions where exactly this work was needed for a Mobile Phone operator. So I've watched the photoshop/photographer guy do it.

The lightroom 'crank it all up' method is the quickest way to explain it. Of course everything you can do in lightroom you can do in photoshop- but cleaner and with more control. Yes I agree lightroom can make for grainy messy files. But there are much better Raw converters- Capture One for example has much cleaner files to work with.

In anycase, I took one file I already had and did a quick develop of it here. Keep in mind I shot it for something else, so the lighting isn't what is needed to make a perfect comparison. In any case, the file took 5 minutes to prepare. Keep in mind I am sure DH spends hours on each of his photos. :-) So it's not a fair comparision.

but what I DO think you can see if the photo is the same kinda of texture to the colors/shadows. There is a cartoony effect that with better lighting and proper planning would really begin approach the DH look.

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/p..._MG_9009-c.jpg

Also it's important to remember, DH style is not particularly 'low budget'. You need lighting outside, and you need a lot of lighting. His best stuff are very expensive productions- if everyone is getting paid then it can easily be thousands for each of the pictures.

Still I think if you really want to know, you should just ask him! I'm sure he would be amused to hear from us. :-)

dennison
www.dennisonbertram.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberek View Post
dennisonb -> i'm starting to think, that You dont know what You are saying...
Have You ever tried the "lightroom crank it all up" method? -> it gaves You a lot of halos and strange looking effects. Ofcourse it fits sometimes, but it's not even close to results that DH or Mtmm gets. Its like paint vs photoshop... and You tells as, that paint is better :P (for working with photography)
Cyberek you seem to talk a lot for someone who has a pretty shitty website..
I hate to say it but just happen to pop in here again and when I saw your comment, I thought I might check out this guys website...
And sorry to say it looks really disappointing, Specially for someone who comments like they know a lot about lighting and Post work.
Maybe you have some other website that your not posting.
If so please post it, I am curios to see a website of someone who has such a strong opinion other than one who shoots cousins/Family weddings and side shows...???
Snook

PS. Dennis's site looks pretty good to me and I would believe what he says over what you say any day of the week.. even though I do not believe anybody but myself...:+]

I definitely would not believe anything Dave Hill says as he usually lies about his process constantly.
Saying he does not use HDR or anything like that on his backgrounds is BS. I know it, he knows it, and anybody that knows anything about photoshop and photography knows it...
Period!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 10:00 AM

snook305 -> my website is designed to hit a target, and for now its all about wedding photography (and there are photos taken a long time ago, when i had quite smaller knowlege about photography). Also it's not only mine . Some of my up to date work will be placed on the page soon... but for now, most of it is copyrighted by people/companies that hired me .
But keep watching... few months and there will be something quite diffrent .
Ps... all of the ppl on photos on that site are ours customers, none of them is my family .

Last edited by Cyberek; 09-12-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 AM

Was Just an observation..... I could not resist to comment..
I have no doubt you will have some new images... and maybe with some kind of DH effect to them...:+}
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 AM

snook305 ->
the truth, is that i am in photography from 2-3 years, but its olny for 1 year, that i treat it seriously. It's last year -> the time, when i bought my studio equipement (its still 2 100W studio lamps + 2x on shue strobes + some wires + some umbrellas + some backgrounds). Also, its not mine's full time job (for now, i'm planning to change that), so i don't have much time to update my gallery and stuff (as i remember, Yours gallery is also quite old, maybe becouse of not enought time ).
And about comment... there was a time, when i was thinking about building my portfolio based on family, but then i realizet, that there are a lot of opportunities to get some clients... and then it has started -> one client gets me another and so one.
Of course every day i think that i do not know much about photography and PS and postwork, but everyday i try to do something new... and this is base of my jugdgements... if someone says that this or that works... then i spend few hours just to try and say something about.

dennisonb ->
You have showed a photo, but maybe just becouse the lightning and purpose it don't work for me ... but You also have showed, that this can be done in 5 minutes, and will not look like crap -> just like You would get, if Ligtroom method (Cranking) have been used. Or other words... use it with brain, and You will get something :P.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching