RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisonb View Post
hahahahah, no don't worry. I've been on productions where exactly this work was needed for a Mobile Phone operator. So I've watched the photoshop/photographer guy do it.
well, this has nothing to do with the fact, that this could be a freakin' shitty method. only, because somebody in the maybe-big business does something

Quote:
The lightroom 'crank it all up' method is the quickest way to explain it. Of course everything you can do in lightroom you can do in photoshop- but cleaner and with more control. Yes I agree lightroom can make for grainy messy files. But there are much better Raw converters- Capture One for example has much cleaner files to work with.

In anycase, I took one file I already had and did a quick develop of it here. Keep in mind I shot it for something else, so the lighting isn't what is needed to make a perfect comparison. In any case, the file took 5 minutes to prepare. Keep in mind I am sure DH spends hours on each of his photos. :-) So it's not a fair comparision.

but what I DO think you can see if the photo is the same kinda of texture to the colors/shadows. There is a cartoony effect that with better lighting and proper planning would really begin approach the DH look.

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/p..._MG_9009-c.jpg

Also it's important to remember, DH style is not particularly 'low budget'. You need lighting outside, and you need a lot of lighting. His best stuff are very expensive productions- if everyone is getting paid then it can easily be thousands for each of the pictures.

Still I think if you really want to know, you should just ask him! I'm sure he would be amused to hear from us. :-)

dennison
www.dennisonbertram.com
did you use the crank-it-up-method? or what were your steps?

greetings from germany,
mario

-
www.mariophoto.de
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2008, 12:46 PM

thanks to this post we get inspired
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morgan dans gravas avec mannequin.jpg (100.1 KB, 220 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilove73 View Post
thanks to this post we get inspired

Very cool I like it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 04:52 AM

Yes, basically just crank it up and then a little more contrast in photoshop (photoshop is a bit cleaner for adding contrast).

;-)dennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich.Mario View Post
well, this has nothing to do with the fact, that this could be a freakin' shitty method. only, because somebody in the maybe-big business does something

did you use the crank-it-up-method? or what were your steps?

greetings from germany,
mario

-
www.mariophoto.de
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 05:05 AM

hi to all, i give a try, definely isn't the DH look but i feel fine with the result as a starting point... first try after long reading this post, and off course, i decide for the time consuming way.

I start with a normal beauty retouch skin smothing and D&B (i think is an important step it give base for the smooth mask after) and after, no magic, exagerate shadow and highlight with large mask on curve layer i've work on the image an entire sunday afternoon.

i repeat, i'm consious that is not DH but i think is a starting point, i'm gone for desaturated look and i'll do more try, fell free to ask all your question, for sure i'm not a guru here...
i have before and after in link no plug-in, no LR crank, i've learn a lot from you and i'm happy to give back something.

(I know the politics about external link but i want give you big screen capture)

last thing that is true, is the time porportion betwen the shoot and the retouch: i've work 30min for doing the shot, no composite here, and as i've said before and entire afternoon on retouch 7 hour.

www.redroom.it/public/1.png
www.redroom.it/public/2.png
www.redroom.it/public/3.png
www.redroom.it/public/4.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 05:48 AM

Can you also say which lighting setup you have used?
As I can "read the image" there are two hard lights on side (one top right to the camera and one bottom right to the camera) + softbox (slightly right to the camera and above)...
I think that character look and feel on DH's photos depends a lot on the lighting. Background not so much but he is also doing composites of the background too and uses the lighting for it too so it's important too...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 AM

yeah so the ambient ligh is underxposed of 1 and a half stop, 2 hard rim light on the side at 45 degree point upward to the model, Dave use two light for rim very high and downward and a soft light above the camera the other light that you see on the glass is the sun that i used for fill.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 AM

Hi Cli
OK & Thanks for clarification.
If I would have to say things from my point of view I would prefer two rim lights if they were positioned a bit higher for your shot cuz they are casting some not pleasant shadows on the face but otherwise I think what you have is very good bases for the nice image in that DH approach.
Regards,
Misko
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cli View Post
hi to all, i give a try, definely isn't the DH look but i feel fine with the result as a starting point... first try after long reading this post, and off course, i decide for the time consuming way.

I start with a normal beauty retouch skin smothing and D&B (i think is an important step it give base for the smooth mask after) and after, no magic, exagerate shadow and highlight with large mask on curve layer i've work on the image an entire sunday afternoon.

i repeat, i'm consious that is not DH but i think is a starting point, i'm gone for desaturated look and i'll do more try, fell free to ask all your question, for sure i'm not a guru here...
i have before and after in link no plug-in, no LR crank, i've learn a lot from you and i'm happy to give back something.

(I know the politics about external link but i want give you big screen capture)

last thing that is true, is the time porportion betwen the shoot and the retouch: i've work 30min for doing the shot, no composite here, and as i've said before and entire afternoon on retouch 7 hour.

www.redroom.it/public/1.png
www.redroom.it/public/2.png
www.redroom.it/public/3.png
www.redroom.it/public/4.png
Very nice work thanks for sharing. Any chance to share how you did your color adj desaturate layer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cli View Post
VERY good starting point indeed, kudos to you for sharing...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching