RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:54 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

That is a high concern. I have a photography friend that had to send her 40D back three times for calibration. This is one of the reason I have yet upgrade to the Mark III. I agree I need to do this to insure the camera and lens is aligned correctly. I just didn't know if there was a technique I wasn't using in PS that provided the results I mentioned above. I must use AF..my eyes are definitely worse than the camera/lens combo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 06:00 AM

The Mk III (and now also the 50D) have micro-adjustment of the AF however so you can basically do the calibration yourself.

Allthough the 50D only have it for the body and applies it for all lenses, where MK III stores different AF adjustments for the different lenses.

Sorry if this turned into a camera-tech part of the thread but could be interesting info for someone
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cli View Post
ok vapour, can you say something about your postproduction?? curves, D&B, or something else??
A d&b layer... create a 50% gray layer and dodge with a 8% opacity white brush and burn with a 8% opacity black brush.

A selective color adjustment layer to add a little warmth in tone to the neautrals.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Same post-production on this one too. Spend a lot of time with a Wacom tablet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2823544761_41d46545f0_o.jpg (99.1 KB, 182 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 AM

great. Very good d&burn i think. Would you mind to share your d&b layer?

greetings from germany.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 02:15 AM

thanks for sharing vapour, i ask a question you don't see color shift using the 50% layer where you d&b
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 AM

OK. re. colorshifts in D&B... that is perfectly normal and the way to handle it is to alter the tone & saturation of that point to match its surroundings if you wish to get rid of it.

That is done with a separate layer from the D&B. Its a standard procedure that i am guessing most of you have done in some way or form before, and it can be done in many ways ofcourse depending on what technique you prefere.

The bottom line is to change the tone & saturation of that point to match the surrounding pixels.

The only way to do a luminous shift of a pixel without affecting the colour of it is to only affect the luminosity channel. This can also be done with many different techniques, but the least destructive is probably two curves layers in the luminosity mode, one for burning and one for dodging (curves go down on the dodge, and up on the burn obviously).

Me personally prefere to just use the softlight method and then fix any colorshifts with a second layer instead

And as people have stated over and over again in every of the 2136123674352375 threads about dodging and burning... the only key to it is hard bleedin work over a fair ammount of time working on pixel levels to perfect the texture and look of every area, luminosity, tone and saturation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 05:44 AM

once i liked the d&b-curve-method, but because of the limited sphere of influence, i'm dodging&burning via a softlight layer. additionally, you could make a layermask on each of the d&b-layer with the merged-down image for the dodge-layer and the inverted merged-down image for the burn-layer. damn, my english rulez to infinity (the idea came from here: http://www.goodlight.us/writing/lumi...ainting-1.html ) so this gives you some assurance only making light areas brighter and dark areas darker (but not with that limited sphere of influence you would get by using curve-layers for d&b).

ok, who understand my english wins 100 points.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 AM

Hi guys,

Check the work out of this fella. The closest I have yet seen to Dave Hill. I accept that his look is a little over the top, tone it down though and it's Dave Hill all the way.

http://www.myspace.com/digsbaby
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 07:02 AM

first of all, this work is far away from dave hill
lets break it down - i think: he uses d&b very often, sometimes, though i don't like to say it, an overlay-highpass-layer, and sometimes for the smooth look, he uses some kind of airbrushing-technique for the skin.

what else?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching