RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

ich mario, that's really cool of you man.

first time i've played with a studio lit photo
don't think i managed hill's style but from 15 mins, i'm liking what i see!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raw.jpg (71.5 KB, 184 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2008, 03:01 PM

I currently own 3 interfit stellar 300 flash heads and a load of soft boxes and snoots/barn doors etc...can anyone recomend a lighting set-up configuration to allow me to shoot some high contrast images like dave. Should i go with the key camera right, fill left and a rim light at the back, what are my options with just the three lights? i also have a canon speedlite 430ex

thanks all
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2008, 03:11 AM

Hello Morpheus
Please note that I am constantly using my Bowens light and Canon flashes (3x580II and 1x550) for my lighting. These are very good to correct and add light where needed and very easily controllable.
For shots like this one I would go with one beauty dish above camera and head, one white reflector under camera, two back (I think you call them rim) lights and one soft box on the side to camera right (or left - depending on the scene). For dark hair I would add hair light too. I would recommend studio shot for the main character and additional background shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2008, 04:39 PM

hey i don't have that many lights to have a beauty dish 2 rim lights and another camera right. is there any way i can incorporate my speedlite flash with the other lights?

also what does a beuty dish do that a soft box can't? and would you need a boom/extension to get it above camera?

Also what kind of lighting ratios would you use? my mate recently sold all his camera gear to me, i also bought a sekonic light meter ls358 or something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 PM

assuming you're going for a lighting style for a hill style, I'd shoot double kickers use your beauty dish above camera, right behind you as the photographer, and use that extra light as a fill, possibly paramount lighting, filling your subject from the bottom if you use a high main beauty dish. a beauty dish vs a softbox, a beauty dish is usually smaller in diameter vs most soft boxes but if not that, they create harder lightes than softboxes without created large hotspots bc of that big circle in the center of the beauty. and also catch lights are circular i guess. I use speedlights as hairlights buy snooting them and aiming them at either the hair or as lights to emphasize the facial area in general, but if youre us ing high powered studio strobes, the speedlight is almost too weak to even show so you might have to power down your studios if they can. I usually use a 2:1 main to fill ratio for most images but if i want a bit more contrast 3:1 will do a good job without losing too much detail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 AM

Hello

I am sorry for my ignorance but what do you call "Paramount" lighting?

I found that lights positioned very low are usually creating problems for me with some unwanted upwards shadows in some locations and I prefer to use soft white reflector to bounce back the light from the beauty dish up to the face.

Also as a fill light as I previously said I am using big soft box on the same height as figure, washing it in light. I usually place "barn doors" (black panels) on the sides of soft box to make light a tiny bit more directional.

Also regarding the speedlights - I recently bought Chimera's ring for Softbox for my 580s but as namphoto said it's a bit weak compared to large studio heads but I didn't test the things enough this way. There are also Lastolite Ezy Boxes which can be used as softboxes for speedlights. I have yet to try them. What I would like to be able is to create a possibility to shoot with 4-5 speed lights with these small accessories in some kind of convenient mobile setup I still miss some kind of beauty dish for these speedlights! Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 06:59 AM

If im not remembering wrongly the "Paramount" lighting is a large lightsource (usually) high up behind you, creating a butterfly shadow beneath the nose, and is thus also known as the butterfly light. A fill light is often added to this to ease the otherwise very strong shadow. It's a dramatic light which often have been used in movies, hence the "Paramount" reference to the movie company.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namphoto View Post
assuming you're going for a lighting style for a hill style, I'd shoot double kickers use your beauty dish above camera, right behind you as the photographer, and use that extra light as a fill, possibly paramount lighting, filling your subject from the bottom if you use a high main beauty dish. a beauty dish vs a softbox, a beauty dish is usually smaller in diameter vs most soft boxes but if not that, they create harder lightes than softboxes without created large hotspots bc of that big circle in the center of the beauty. and also catch lights are circular i guess. I use speedlights as hairlights buy snooting them and aiming them at either the hair or as lights to emphasize the facial area in general, but if youre us ing high powered studio strobes, the speedlight is almost too weak to even show so you might have to power down your studios if they can. I usually use a 2:1 main to fill ratio for most images but if i want a bit more contrast 3:1 will do a good job without losing too much detail.

Would you shoot the kicker lights through a softbox or a snoot or just as they are?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 06:59 PM

I like to shoot kickers through atleast anything diffused, strip lights, soft box with grids, umbrellas can work too. I find using hardlights for kickers can become very overwhelming sometimes when the final work is not necessarily hard lighting.

Paramount lighting is exactly HuBBa said. if you're seeing strong shadows from low lighting, put the power down, that lower light should be used specifically for fill lighting only.

If you want to do that whole speedlite mobile set up, im sure youve heard of, but go to strobist.com. there are tons of DIY and links to homemade light modifiers or like the ezy boxes, but generally are too expensive for what they are made for. If you get the whole speedlite set up though, just set it up the same way you would with studio lights, but i like using umbrellas because the modifiers that are made for speedlites are also pretty small, which could actually act as pretty good kickers. idk try it out, just check out strobist.com. (please no one start bagging on strobist.com, thats a whole new topic on its on)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 07:01 PM

oh and about the kickers, one important piece of advice i learned using kickers is putting it right behind the persons head is not going to cut it. put it atleast three meters or so behind them so the light doesnt leak into the front of their face, and keep the kickers above head level so it doesnt leak under the chin.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching