RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

no problem and no secrets as well..
For background:
1.HDR image in Photomatix (f/22)
2.Scottkelby work in Lightroom (recovery 100, fill light 100, black ##, contrast 100, clarity 100, vibrance 100, Saturation ##...
## - depends on ur liking)
For girl..
1. The same picture (with the same position of tripod), + flashlight on the right side.
2. work from this thread...Actually, I did this steps:
--------------------------
1) Extract the luminosity from the channel palette. This would result in a BW image. For this I decided to use the R-Channel. You can even use the G channel if you wish. If you look at the B-channel, things are getting muted and muddy (there isn't contrast).

2) To this extracted R-Channle luminosity, put in overlay and run a high pass at raidus = 2. (Again, this is image dependent--you'll just to remember to make the edges pop subtlely.)

3) Click OK. Use the eyeball to see the effects of it. Another is to extract the B-channel luminosity in put on luminosity blending and run your USM at 50,30,0. Again, this will make those edges pop out.

4) close all the layers by pressing your eyeball and using your BG, copy the B-channel and run a "Find Edges Filter" on the duplicated B-Channel copy. You are making an edge mask here.

5) CTRL Click that edge mask and load it onto the R-Channel that you ran your HP settings.

6) Sharpen that R-Channel extract layer by using USM, 500% and R=0.2-0.3

7) Use your color picker took to select the highest pixels, I sampled mine from the face and set this to the foreground color.

8) I then went to Select, color range, and drag the fuzz until only the highlights on the skin are selected.

9) With the marching ants on the highlights already, add a color fill adj. layer and select 255,255,255 as your fill color.

10) Go into the mask and do a 1-2 Gaussian Blur filter to sort of smooth out the highlight.

I am curious as to how this would look at a larger resolution, but at the sample size provided by the poster on the RetouchPro.com thread, it bears similar resemblance.

Try it out.
-----------------------------(C) person from this thread, I don't remember)
As u can see, it's some kind of not so high level work...

p.s. sorry for my english.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 PM

Hi,

New to the forum. I have been messing around with what I call
Dave Hill (light). all critiques welcome. Still searching for a new
personal style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg David F.02 copy 2.jpg (64.6 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg JasonWS 02 final.jpg (84.3 KB, 211 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Hellopicccadilly...thanks for your post...you have been one of the many few to provide details when asked....I applaud you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Seconded, what a champion!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Well...... I think its official.....You guys all have succeeded in not only totally butchering the big mysterious "Dave Hill Look"..... but you've also totally, utterly and completely played it out on this thread. You have not only beaten the horse till it died, you then beat the dead horse, and then beat it even more, you then beat it until it turned into glue, and then you continued on to even package the glue, market it, and globally distribute it, and then even took it even further by putting elmers out of business! hahahah sorry for the sarcasm, but for cryin out loud, 92 page thread, wow. you really think his look is the bomb dont you? He must be watching this thread and just laughing his ass off
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Garibaldi, I too am sick of the DH hill.. that is why I do not come around here at all really anymore.
But of the 92 page of Posts more than half are stupid comments like yours that really have no meaning and are useless. Just bogging up the forums.
Then there is my response RE: this post which takes up some forum space also...
So in fact you have wasted 2 posts..:+]
It is better just not to comment I think... And I mean that in a nice way, really.

Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Haha, point well taken, but I also find it amusing how people on forums are always so tightly wound, and defensive, this is the internet for cryin out loud you make it out to be like its a mensa discussion panel! The fact still remains, that even after 92 pages of posts, even if some are bs replies (Let mine be the one that takes the cake), not one of you have even some close to nailing the golden holy dave hill look.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2008, 03:40 AM

Garibaldi, would you still be spouting BS if after 93 pages somebody finally nailed the technique and gave a detailed workflow? I think not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Garibaldi, would you still be spouting BS if after 93 pages somebody finally nailed the technique and gave a detailed workflow? I think not.
haha. probably not, but since this is probably what you are looking for, I guess Ill just keep my mouth shut and allow the thread to continue. heres a before and after. Nothing special, simple lighting, no dodge or burn, no lucis or any of the other plugins everyones speculating about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_3792.jpg (57.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_3792-Edit-2-Edit.jpg (106.6 KB, 200 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 PM

I like what you have done with your picture, good concept. But, Dave Hill does not desaturate, especially that much. If anything, he adds color.

A review of the thread, found here.

I believe that you need to read below, I’ll quote myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
The look: The look of DH is a very clean smooth conversion of a picture or multiple pictures into one that looks dark, high contrast, very sharp all around (foreground and background) and has the look of a 3-d cartoon.
You did not even use B&D. Well a double use of the shadow/highlight tool and some masking will uncover those shadows and then brighten/contrast adjust. And your sharpening is like Manuel Libres Librodo Jr. Talked about HERE. And an action found here.

Your lighting has no side lighting; witch would have helped with the shadows. This is not Dave Hill. I recreated your picture in about 10min (a color version). I'll post if you want to see it.

ps: I haven’t had time to take the pictures yet, college is being college and haven’t had time to even take a picture.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching