RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 10-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

That action is not even close. I can get a lot closer without it. I would even go as far as saying that is one of the worst actions I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2007, 10:49 AM

@hexi: i like your method, please comment on how you achieved that result
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
That action is not even close. I can get a lot closer without it. I would even go as far as saying that is one of the worst actions I've ever seen.
I get what you mean... But its useful for learning purposes.

I can get further without the action too. But the fact is, because of the vast potential differences between photos its impossible to make an action which could even come close to an emulation of Dave Hill...

So basically... Yes i know. But its still good for people who want to know how certain things are acheived in Photoshop.

IMHO its more productive than just listing out a why of doing it cos that way will change constantly depending on the image.... the action was created in an attempt to generically offer a 'solution' as opposed to getting it SPOT ON... which it seems, is all you are interested in.

TO be honest... about Dave Hill... His photos look asesome. But i bet they looked awesome before he post-produced them. Its all down to execution - plus all that lighting to bring out the highlights!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2007, 01:16 PM

Smile Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexi View Post
it's close , but the highlights on the face are too strong. I like the hair and the texture of the cloth. The ray of light doesn't fall right on the person, but I like the mood. U should rethink the lightning, especially on the face.

I honestly think that to achieve the look one must work on a high res. , very well lighted photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2007, 01:23 PM

here is my attempt, only spent 20mins so its just rough:

http://flickr.com/photos/chris_kenny/1715421031/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padiQ View Post
I get what you mean... But its useful for learning purposes.

I can get further without the action too. But the fact is, because of the vast potential differences between photos its impossible to make an action which could even come close to an emulation of Dave Hill...

So basically... Yes i know. But its still good for people who want to know how certain things are acheived in Photoshop.

IMHO its more productive than just listing out a why of doing it cos that way will change constantly depending on the image.... the action was created in an attempt to generically offer a 'solution' as opposed to getting it SPOT ON... which it seems, is all you are interested in.

TO be honest... about Dave Hill... His photos look asesome. But i bet they looked awesome before he post-produced them. Its all down to execution - plus all that lighting to bring out the highlights!!
Actually I am not all that interested about acheiving the actual Dave Hill look. I do however feel that there is alot of other cool things that could come from knowing a little about his workflow. I have said it many times that his pictures are superb from the get-go and I believe little pp is done. I am more of a fan of the picks found over at studiobild or joeyl. THere is another photo-artist I know of whose work is awesome but its an adult oriented site and I am unsure of the rules here so I won't post a link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2007, 04:52 PM

i wanted to have a go on the original image in this thread but it's no longer available so i tried on this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuthbert1.jpg (87.4 KB, 333 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2007, 11:09 AM

Here is my try :
I've uploaded it on my retouch profile , in a interactive flash so u can see the original too. http://nimfabeberetouch.deviantart.c...style-68429734

I'm aiming for the CG look. Please tell me what I could improve. Comments and critique very welcome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2007, 03:31 PM

Heres something I did in 10 minute with a small jpeg from a Catalogue shoot today.
Not sure if you think it looks Dave Hillish, But similar.
A little time spent and the technique is not hard at all. In my opinion.
Ignore all the Stamps on the image and wings, I was showing a client some brushes I had....:+}
Snook
http://homepage.mac.com/ekphotograph...Arg%20copy.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM

i yet dont have the heart to move on adding in a background, but this is my first picture that came out pleasing my own standards

feedback...anyone?

(ps: i'm not doing this to become a copycat. i'm doing this to one day mastering this field. and copying and understanding always gets one ahead pretty good)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2456ad2.jpg (96.7 KB, 547 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching