RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1501  
Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Soul_of_Kilik's Avatar
Soul_of_Kilik Soul_of_Kilik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 52
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

no dude, more like 10 to 30 seconds. You'll obviously do that without a moving model in it, but as they say, it's clear he shoots the models seperate with their own lighting. Tripod necessary here.
Reply With Quote top
  #1502  
Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 AM
HelloPiccadilly HelloPiccadilly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: russia
Posts: 232
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

It makes sence to try ))
Reply With Quote top
  #1503  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 PM
HelloPiccadilly HelloPiccadilly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: russia
Posts: 232
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Btw, can u describe the difference between when u take a picture with 1/160 exposure e.g. if you have enough power to light it up..than with 10' sec but u use the same strob light anyway...
Reply With Quote top
  #1504  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:39 PM
igot2pman's Avatar
igot2pman igot2pman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Posts: 633
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloPiccadilly View Post
Btw, can u describe the difference between when u take a picture with 1/160 exposure e.g. if you have enough power to light it up..than with 10' sec but u use the same strob light anyway...
Assuming you have other ambient light... the longer exposure could fill shadows... just a thought. (make sure the ambient and the flash temp are about the same or you will have bad color casts)

Also, a longer exposure allows for multiple flashes from the same strobe; effectively making one strobe into two or more.

Ideas,
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
  #1505  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Soul_of_Kilik's Avatar
Soul_of_Kilik Soul_of_Kilik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 52
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
Assuming you have other ambient light... the longer exposure could fill shadows...
Exactly, and with a bit of Shadow/Highlight, you can enrich those mid-tones.
Reply With Quote top
  #1506  
Old 02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Tareq Tareq is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Arab Emirates
Posts: 513
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

MORE SAMPLES PLEASE, we have cameras and lights, let's go and shoot with f8 up to f32 even, with 3 or 10 lights, then let's see what we can do, he use a camera that many has maybe better, lights i am sure he is not using Bronocolor, and many have Profoto as well, so if we do everything fine and correct properly with a decent camera and great lights and everything is good, NOW, how can we end up with that look? Some saying he was using Hasselblad, ok we got hasselblad, some said he is using High Pass, all photoshop users can apply it, some said Lucis Art, i have testes 2 or 3 different Lucis Art as a filter or plug-in or an action, but with all that still we can't get same or even better, just some can get closer, so what is missing to not get or even pass his technique or that style? I asked or i was going to ask that we all should unite and try to find that formula, maybe each one of us alone can't get it far away, so maybe to help each other we may end up with better styles and techniques than him, and when i look at his photos all, i saw that i did get something less than some of his photos and sometimes better than some of his other shots, it is not all of his DH are the same anyway.
Reply With Quote top
  #1507  
Old 02-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Soul_of_Kilik's Avatar
Soul_of_Kilik Soul_of_Kilik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 52
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Has somebody tried to mail him? Tell him he's been discussed over 51 pages already!

LOL - If I was him, I'd keep it a tight secret. Maybe just tell him to look at the circus he's caused.
Reply With Quote top
  #1508  
Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 PM
snook305's Avatar
snook305 snook305 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South
Posts: 426
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
MORE SAMPLES PLEASE, we have cameras and lights, let's go and shoot with f8 up to f32 even, with 3 or 10 lights, then let's see what we can do, he use a camera that many has maybe better, lights i am sure he is not using Bronocolor, and many have Profoto as well, so if we do everything fine and correct properly with a decent camera and great lights and everything is good, NOW, how can we end up with that look? Some saying he was using Hasselblad, ok we got hasselblad, some said he is using High Pass, all photoshop users can apply it, some said Lucis Art, i have testes 2 or 3 different Lucis Art as a filter or plug-in or an action, but with all that still we can't get same or even better, just some can get closer, so what is missing to not get or even pass his technique or that style? I asked or i was going to ask that we all should unite and try to find that formula, maybe each one of us alone can't get it far away, so maybe to help each other we may end up with better styles and techniques than him, and when i look at his photos all, i saw that i did get something less than some of his photos and sometimes better than some of his other shots, it is not all of his DH are the same anyway.


Because of Morons like Mtmm that eventually get pretty close.
They ask and ask questions and never offer any real help to others..:+]
But that's usual of many forums, and you cannot always weed out the Bone heads until it is too late...:+]
Oh and Dave Hill has seen this thread for sure...:+}

Ask Obsala and Mtmm to post their workflows.
Mtmm , if you read through the threads , was using a High Bleach pass filter and some heavy dodging and burning along with a few other steps.
The look is rather old and again many had this style before Dave Hill was doing it.
Dave Hill is using HDR or some sort of lifting of the shadows ,Dynamic range, no doubt about it! atleast on his backgrounds and he is a fool in his interviews stating otherwise. Any bonehead with any photoshop experience can see that.
Someone on the Model Mayhem thread got really close and dissected DH to a tee if you ask me.
When you have the light and the subject matter right the retouching is more convincing.
The problem is most people post horribly lit images and then lucis the hell out of them.

If you read through the thread it is pretty close if you use alot of the techniques explained.

I think if you write obsala an e-mail you might get an answer before Dave hill tells you anything.

Snook
Reply With Quote top
  #1509  
Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 PM
garibaldi's Avatar
garibaldi garibaldi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 363
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

this thread should be called "Played Hill"
Reply With Quote top
  #1510  
Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Soul_of_Kilik's Avatar
Soul_of_Kilik Soul_of_Kilik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 52
Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

more like over the Hill...
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1st attemp at dave hill look tha king Photo Retouching 13 04-17-2010 12:44 PM
Looking for help in recreating Dave Hill look. Caesium Photo Retouching 15 04-27-2009 11:52 AM
Creative interpretations: Flowers - Tulips on a hill DannyRaphael Photo-Based Art 11 09-09-2004 01:51 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved