RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 10-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

subx: hmmm...looks good, the skin is a bit flat...no good details of skin there...if you get that and some small color adjustments this is going somewhere...by not using background you get good results as well...remember if adding background let it be IN FOCUS...

any chance to see the original as well
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 PM

subxaero ... this I really like. The soft illustration look. Looks really great in my eyes. If you get consistent results like that its a great technique , whatever you did.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
subx: hmmm...looks good, the skin is a bit flat...no good details of skin there...if you get that and some small color adjustments this is going somewhere...by not using background you get good results as well...remember if adding background let it be IN FOCUS...

any chance to see the original as well
sure. has been my first ever light setup (i only got my 400d few weeks ago), so i'm pretty much a n00b on this...and well...there were no skin details just a lot of mush

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepiano View Post
subxaero ... this I really like. The soft illustration look. Looks really great in my eyes. If you get consistent results like that its a great technique , whatever you did.
it's my second try to combine a few techniques me and a friend of mine came across the last weeks. and this second try now is a huge step for me.
(just for the record: took me about 3-4 hours plain retouching)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2456org.jpg (74.8 KB, 371 views)

Last edited by subxaero; 10-30-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: no double posts, aye!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2007, 04:45 PM

@ subxaero

nice painting :P
study some anatomy first because the shadows on the neck are invented by u if there wasn't any skin detail, it doesn't mean u can't add it. There are some errors on the hand and face too, the way u placed light. And don't exagerate painting over the photo, especially if u are not sure of what to add and remove. This technique requires a real painter's view, something like Amy Dresser has in retouch. Just my opinion. Hope it helps u .
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimfabebeAida View Post
@ subxaero

nice painting :P
study some anatomy first because the shadows on the neck are invented by u if there wasn't any skin detail, it doesn't mean u can't add it. There are some errors on the hand and face too, the way u placed light. And don't exagerate painting over the photo, especially if u are not sure of what to add and remove. This technique requires a real painter's view, something like Amy Dresser has in retouch. Just my opinion. Hope it helps u .
i'm jsut a starter so i'm glad for any opinion and advice.

so how do i enhance detail in the skin (the basic texture is really just mush. no way to recover). and what errors are there exactly (i know about the jaw bone tho).

and that do you mean with the exegerated over-painting?

cheers!

ps_ i just discovered that youre the one that posted the different retouch-styles. could you maybe give some hints how you d&b those, cause on devart you just post the pictures. i esp like the purple dress one...well i know it's always some kind of secret, but i just helped some random peep that pmd me btw - nice composings on y0ur other devid

Last edited by subxaero; 10-30-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2007, 09:34 PM

From a tutorial I picked up somewhere. I made this into an action with stops.

It sometimes works out pretty good:

Make sure the levels and color are fixed on the original before you start.

Duplicate the layer on the LAYER pallette
Go to FILTER - OTHER - HIGH PASS type 4.0 for RADIUS
on the LAYERS pallette choose vivid light for the blending mode
Now flatten the image.
step1

Second Step
Duplicate the layer on the LAYER pallette
Go to FILTER - OTHER - HIGH PASS type 6.9 for RADIUS
on the LAYERS pallette choose color for the blending mode
Set opacity to 40%
Now flatten the image.
step2

For this step you need to do the following
DUPLICATE LAYER on layer pallette
FILTER - BLUR - GAUSSIAN BLUR 9.4 pixels
FILTER - NOISE - ADD NOISE 3%
from the top menu select LAYER - ADD LAYER MASK - HIDE ALL
using the lasso tool select only the eyes and choose SELECT - FEATHER about 6pixels
Choose SELECT - INVERSE
now use the brush on the tool pallette and set the brush opacity to 30% - brush over the entire image
Now FLATTEN the image
step3

the final step is to sharpen the image.

Go to FILTER - SHARPEN - UNSHARP MASK

use the following settings:
AMOUNT 100%
RADIUS 30.0 pixels
THRESHOLD 0
step4

Most of the look is due to the multiple lights used to create highlights. To get that Shiny skin apply lotion on the person before taking the picture.

edit: This tutorial is for High Resolution images. If you are working on a low res photo you'll have to decrease the suggested amount on most of the steps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2007, 01:21 PM

Smile Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

@ subxaero
I'm glad u liked my works , but I always try to explain that there is not secret. I dodge and burn just like everyone else does. The difference is I'm an art student, I know anatomy, painting , drawing and that helps me alot in retouch.
I've attached a file with writing so u can see what I mean.

U should check her out. She is one of the best and u can see what I'm talking about with adding texture and detail ( even if there isn't originally in the photo ) . http://www.amydresser.com/retouch.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg some-tips.jpg (87.0 KB, 535 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2007, 04:57 PM

NimfabebeAida, love what you have done in the retouched photo with the CG 300 look. what are the main tools you used? any tips for a beginner???
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2007, 06:13 PM

Smile Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

@ ProjectLam
Hi!
I'm really glad u liked that style.
As I always say , there is no secret. I use the dodge and burn technique. In the forum you can find great tutorials. I've learned cool tips from there. I started working in PS two years ago, inspired by pop art and I did artworks using brushes and my friend's photos. ^^ Check the first link from my signature( my photomanipulation profile) ,there are my artworks posted cronologically . Browse for the last ones and see from where I started. As u will see photomanipulations are a good practice.
So my advice would be to experiment and search for tutorials, especially the ones that have video so u understand the program better.
Have fun in the Photoshop world !
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2007, 06:18 PM

thanks for the info. i guess my specific question is how did you get that skintone color on the model in the pic? i do see a hint of desaturation, but the skintone is changed drastically to become extreme smooth w/ that change of color? (referring specifically to the CG 300 photo)...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching