RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
The problem is that some people here don't admit their arrogance. I already have contributed in this post. I've said that Dave Hill is quite a newbie in photography but good at retouch and many people here wrote that I'm the newbie. You see, it's like some people here admires so much to that guy (who does exactly the same retouch that Tim and I cannot remember the last name, and many others anonimous retouchers that almost have achieved the "Dave Hill" look or similar looks) that any kind of critique to "The Guy" results in sissy retouchers attacking me with lot of stupid things like "Your work sucks" or "Someone kows the Quantum3Stuidio technique?" or that sort of things. That's why I laugh, 'cause I know what I do, 'cause those who say that, never show off what they do. That's why I say that some people here has too much arrogance to take them seriously.
Coming back to the topic, Dave Hill is not a photographer, he's a retoucher who have learnt a very impressive technique. In fact, you can download all his backstage videos (I downloaded around 15 of them) and all the light setup he does is absolutely poor and basic, so there is no need to think about how he sets up the lights (I gave the same answer to a guy and there started talking with arrogance with a couple of sissy retouchers, then appeared other and another. They seems more like sissy hyenas than big brains). The fact is that Dave Hill sucks at photography.
In one of the backstage videos, he put a wide angle lens, in vertical position on the road and the lens falls to the road, making a big noise of CRACK. I mean, every person, photographer or not will always take care of its equipment and it's well known that a wide angle never will stand in any kind of surface.
There is a lot of photomontage in his pics and you can draw many conclusions of what he does by seeing a couple of the backstage videos. The most important thing is trying to look at the retouch taking away the effects and such and trying to back the image to its initial stage by using the mind. The other guy, Joey, he does exactly the same thing that Dave Hill and you can find some DVD's where Joeys explains how he gets the same result than David Hill. However, people believes that Joey is one thing and David is another, but they use the same technique. Those guys have bought the technique, it looks all the same.
It's quite obvious, when you see the way they work in the backstages and such, that they don't have any kind of idea about photoshop. Most people here knows much more about photoshop than those "super" retouchers, indeed, but most of the people here doesn't know how to apply their knowledge. Ask to Dave Hill, Joey or Tim what's a sensel, or how works the DeGrunging or what's really does the HighPass Filter. I don't think they know the answers, but most people here do.
Dave Hill and such just bought a technique and that's all. Just looking at his gallery you will find there is nothing more than the same effect applyed over and over again (which needs, of course, the same lighting set up) and that effect is just one of the huge amount of possibilities achievables inside Photoshop. aIt's pretty obvious that Dave, Joey and Tim only knows what's needed in order to achieve that overrated effect.

Well, be prepared to read a lot of critiques from the sissy retouchers... I'm going for some popcorn XD
I really have to disagree with about everything you have stated..

Although I think Dave Hill is a one trick guy, He does direct the talent he works well quite well and has the whole idea of the shoot obviuosly planned out.
You say retouchers.. Most of the fully professional retouchers are not in these forum asking questions..
I live in a small city and about half the retouchers do the Dave hill and Jill greenberg when ever asked to for campaigns No problem.
I get the look I like when ever I need to as well.
But I also use either plugs or Luminosty masks for highlight and shadow.

Anyways you might want to change your attitude, because the only arrogant
person at the moment sounds like you...

Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 PM

Snook..nice pics on your site....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 04:47 AM

Snook, I've just seen your pictures..
I wish I was able to make like this )) (about pictures at the beach..) I suppose, there is a great deal of hard lighting...just because this is a beach ))

Why don't u tell us your method how to achieve this look )
I'd like to know
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 06:29 AM

Lets get a grip 54 pages on this guy,Sorry he is just not that good
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 AM

To me, it is not a question if he is good or not or whether we like his style or not, but understanding how to achieve the look. Most of us come to this forum to learn and improve our skills...each of us are at a different level. To date, no one on this forum has been able to achieve the look, and many who have come close still share very little.

I too like Snooks beach pics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 08:39 AM

HEy Guys yeh alot of hard lighting in Rio on the Beach and it was filled with 2 7B profoto flash heads.. Just bare flash heads.
I do not have any secret recipe just work on every image a little differently.
What I stated a LONG time back is YES I use small increments of Lucis art sometimes but in small amounts and slowly build the effect up...:+}
Then dodging and Burning etc. Cleaning clean.
I have an action that makes 2 curves layers adjustments. One for the Highlights and One for the Shadows and depending on the look I want I adjust them.
But then again I am NOT looking to acheive the Gritty Look of DH as I do not shoot gangster Rap singers...;+}
I shoot more Fashion and Advertising.
Many here are just trying to achieve the DH hill look will out the proper image to do it on and not the proper lighting.

As a side note:
Most the stuff on my site is either a little older or already published.
I have lot's of "New" stuff that I will not publish on my site until it is published in the Media. Too many people where I live try to copy all the time...
I beleive those beach shots were regular retouching and then some contrast masking etc...
I really do not rememeber as those were done like 2-3 years ago.
Contrast Masking if you really read is the way to go.
The article some one posted a million pages back that they copied from Model Meyham (sp) is the way to go.. first you mas for the HL then the SHWDS.
Dave is just adding a couple extra steps of gritty grain at the end which I personally do not like and feel it is OLD.
I guess that is why people like MTmm like to try and copy it for his small country , maybe no one know it is DAve Hill look and Mtmm wants to take the credit for the look, again in his small city. But he like Dave will get plugged into the One look.

Also my current website is just a temporary website while I am picking out images for my final new website to come..:+}
And again I am a Photographer first.

Snook

Snook

Last edited by snook305; 03-08-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 09:41 AM

(another shit try)
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6898/meevxz.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Also another shit try

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4803/i1us0.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 AM

Tareq can you comment on your process to get this result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
Tareq and Hello.. I think you guys are confusing DH with Dragan.
Both of those images look nothing like either really.
The Lighting is all wrong, The background is nothing. You cannot take a point and shoot type picture and make it Dave Hill..
This thread is totally ridiculous and has gone the wrong way.

Last post here.

S>
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching