RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Thumbs up Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
I didn't realise that their would be any difference between LAB and a Luminosity mode. Will certainly have a play!!

Thanks ;-)
Well yeah, L*a*b* comprehends the whole color luminosity range that the human eye is able to see. It has all the CMYK colors plus all the RGB ones. It's the biggest color space and there is no monitor available to show all the spectrum hold in L*a*b* and unfortunately, it never will be because monitors are build by using light, and, as I suppose you know, the screen is only capable to show colors that come with light, these ones are the RGB colors.

I get impressive effects by using L*a*b* and changing, when needed, to RGB and going into L*a*b* again and such. The contrast you can achieve by adjusting the luminosity channel is not possible in an RGB color space. But, for example, the highpass effect doesn't work in L*a*b*, so going back and fort between both color spaces gives really interesting results, also when saturating colors
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Thumbs up Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypisek View Post
Nice sites, thanks for sharing them The first one, I like the lugubrious mood in the whole retouch. They look dimmed but somehow, mournful. Really interesting
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 06:20 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
I think i have to learn manipulation as well, it is not only the look, but even the shot overall should be either real or surreal in some points, now we know this photo is not real in reality world so i am sure those great unbelievable works mostly coming with layers masks and blending.

Now i will start to learn more about photoshop after i got my tablet today, i will make the learning easier than before with only mouse.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 10:00 AM

Question Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
This one looks more like a photomontage than a retouched photo... I mean, the light that lights her is quite different from the whole ambient light... It was a photo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 11:22 AM

NONE of Cypiseks pictures look like DH. Not sure why he keeps posting image after image with no comments. I think he should start a new thread.
Isn't he the freak that has 2 personalities and posted his detailed description.. Then tried to erase it and then his other half posted here that is was all a mistake that he posted the detailed description.
Weird bunch in here and getting weirder by the day.
Did anybody ever even try his detailed technique?

In any case the only poster in this whole thread that even got similar or cool look is Obsala.
The rest is all BS.

I think cypisek was on to somehting close but that is why he erased his technique much like the Bonehead Mtmm who said he did one thing then right away regretted that he had posted it and then got caught up in his BS...
Which was he uses Bleach ByPass along with lucis and some noise reducting to get rid of the gritty look which is exactly what makes DH different. His images are gritty grainy. Not smoothed out like Obsala and Mtmm.
I guess you could add grain after all the fact which might be nice.

Save your self a Big headache and just use Lucis if your a newbie and if not you should use contrast masks..
I t really is not that hard.
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 02:10 PM

cypisek I never said I did not like you.
Don't understand you posting and erasing your post before then some other person posted either you are some one else saying they were you etc.. All pretty weird?

Point 2.
This hilariuos thread is for the Dave Hill look which your images look NOTHING like. That is all. Your not the only one to post images that look nothing like Dave Hill's.
Nothing against you personally.
Mtmm is just a Putz in General and the tipical bone head that offers no help to others about his post work. No one is obliged to show there steps, But this is a forum for helping people retouch, NOT FLIKr to show your images.
So people like him who just ask for help and help and help and then DO NOT contribute are what some call Leeches or leechers.
I could care o less about some punk ass young wannabe. I can take pictures and retouch circles around him all day long.
He jumps in crying every once in a while talking shit because I mention him as a leech and use him as reference for people that are leechers.

I could care o less about making images like DH. I can, I have and do not really like his look.
He does it very well already.

I am a professional photograper for around 20 years now....
I do however think anybody and everybody can always learn more by certain steps in a technique to apply it or parts of it in images or for future clients request etc to their images.

But that should be obviuos..

Snook

PS. Now you will see some dumb ass post from Mtmm here soon I am sure...:+}
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Since my website was posted here I thought I would post a few observations. I'll make them fairly general as I don't know if most of you are working to gain clients (make a living with your imagery) or just fooling around.

Study the basics of what makes a compelling image. This goes all the way back to why you choose an f-stop and a shutter speed when capturing imagery. Your final image has to have a solid foundation. If combining images is your gig, then make sure they are all solid at the beginning. Using some form of post processing cannot cover up what was weak from the start.

Have a plan. Whether it is a sketch or strong mental picture you will need a destination. Most importantly make sure the image tells a story and does it with strong composition and lighting.

Develop your own style. It's great to emulate or study from others...I dare anyone to say they haven't been influenced by another artist in one form or another! However, you aren't going to gain consistent work or clients if you can't produce something original. Also remember this is not a static craft and what is hot today will not be tomorrow. Therefore, in crafting your uniqueness never stop learning so you can push forward when the new music starts playing.

Technically, shoot raw 16bit and save your money for good glass. Spiritually, for those with processing fascinations, stop and shoot something simple on occasion. Maybe fall back to b&w and just study the light to see what moves you.

Have fun and enjoy the journey.

Best,
JQ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 03:19 PM

JQ
Your bascially right.
I see you like Photomatix and Lucis art for a lot of your work.
I also like your animals shots.. I like how you smooth the contrast masking with noise reduction so it has a slight smudge/oil look to them.
I think the animals are some of your strongest stuff. they are my second favorites after jill greebergs animals shots with ring flash...:+}

What you say is correct and has been stated here a thousand times.You aint going to get a DaveHill type impact image with out good pre production thinking all the way to then end.
Most here snap a picture of there neighbor and want to press a button so it has that Dave Hill appeal....:+}
That is why Mtmms picture may look some what stronger than a lot here.. He has thought out the shoot before hand with a subject matter also copied from Dave hill with the wrestler/Body builder subjects. He just does not know how to composite like DH hill. That takes more than a couple of filtered layers..as you certainly know by the looks of all your compositing.
I on the other hand prefer to use little to no compositing. I like trying to get everything originally.

Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 PM

Quinter:

Your post actually opens minds, which is, of course, the best than learning steps. I like what you have written here "make sure the image tells a story". That's a very good thing, because I have seen lot of photography (and I'm a photographer my self) and I had never thought about telling an story. Well, not a literal story, but something you can feel. You have gave me some cool ideas to keep in mind.

Thank you very much for the post,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 02:11 AM

best regards
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/529/zard.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching