RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Nothing like huh? I used identical lighting set ups, reflectors etc, ringlight. I don't shoot with a damn financed Hasselblad or a nice canon, so I don't expect to work with a nice sharp photo like DH's work. So I did what I could with a Nikon D70s, which is all I got at the moment...

As for the shitty photoshopping, thanks for the warm welcome!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadewoodarts View Post
Nothing like huh? I used identical lighting set ups, reflectors etc, ringlight. I don't shoot with a damn financed Hasselblad or a nice canon, so I don't expect to work with a nice sharp photo like DH's work. So I did what I could with a Nikon D70s, which is all I got at the moment...

As for the shitty photoshopping, thanks for the warm welcome!!
Hey it's nothing personal just my opinion. Your guy looks like he has not slept for 2 weeks and the skin tones are horrible.
Dave Hill does not go making people look like dead zombies like most of the post in here...:+}
I do not think 50 cent would accept looking like some coked up zombie freak!!

Most of the last couple of pages beside Calvins works has been crap if you ask me and they all look like first semester photoshoppers who learned how to semi cut out objects. Cypisek stuff looks nothing like DH. His first post that he did expalining the technique was pretty good, but from there he has gone to crap if you ask me. Looks all to composited.
The thing with day is you not sure if he actually shot it there or not. and most of his stuff IS shot on location just worked sepaeratley in PS...:+}

Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
Hey it's nothing personal just my opinion. Your guy looks like he has not slept for 2 weeks and the skin tones are horrible.
Dave Hill does not go making people look like dead zombies like most of the post in here...:+}
I do not think 50 cent would accept looking like some coked up zombie freak!!

Most of the last couple of pages beside Calvins works has been crap if you ask me and they all look like first semester photoshoppers who learned how to semi cut out objects. Cypisek stuff looks nothing like DH. His first post that he did expalining the technique was pretty good, but from there he has gone to crap if you ask me. Looks all to composited.
The thing with day is you not sure if he actually shot it there or not. and most of his stuff IS shot on location just worked sepaeratley in PS...:+}

Snook
I know what your saying about the desaturated coked out skin tones.. and yes he is a weird kid that happened to be around at the time so I shot him. Dave Hill's skin tones vary, and ive seen quite a few of his works have "coked out" skin tones, it depends on who the photographer shoots. Also Dave Hill does do a lot of on location shoots, but he also has shot a ton of his photographs in studio, and then goes out to find backgrounds to shoot so he can composite his subjects into his image using his backgrounds, and or other props he may have used. It is always nice to also be able to get crystal clear sharp high megapixel images for compositing.

I wish I could do more on location, but haven't got my battery pack yet.

Last edited by Fadewoodarts; 04-22-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Fadewoodarts, you don't have to defend yourself, especially to someone with no people skills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 04:35 PM

calvin...how much do you have invested in this lighting setup?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM

One comment about Snook:
Check his site - the man has talent
If you ask him for advice, he will provide it.
He provides direct feedback..if it is good he will tell you, if it ain't DH, he will tell you.
He, like myself, gets pissed when those that do have talent don't share when asked...
His last post was pretty damn correct...especially what he is saying about the skin...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2009, 03:44 PM

Skydog, thanks.
Now, about the treat, which become a place were the people like to show some of their attempts in the digital field which I think is good, that is the purpose of the online forums I think. For the DH style or any other field in to the photography, all of as photographers need good light, you cant do something from nothing, we need details as mach as we can get, and well balanced details, there was somewhere along the lines very good respond, I think was by garibaldi(about the concept of DH style)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2009, 03:45 PM

@Skydog
About 5.000 Dollar.
I am not a fan of expensive things.
But its very comfortable and what i need is lightning power.
And i guess you cant get real power for some hundret of dollars.

lg Calvin
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2009, 06:38 PM

I'm not a fan of expensive things either.
I'm trying to expand my arsenal of lights, very slowly. Not to mention expensive battery packs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2009, 05:52 AM

OK, until now i don't have any outdoor lighting packs or batteries, so i will try later to do something, until that time i just have in studio lighting only, and if someone saying about sharp images, then i can use my 1Ds3 with 135L or 300 f2.8L to give you sharpest images, and if you want larger megapixel then help me to use my Hasselblad 39mp and i am ready to provide you with 1TB files/shots.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching