RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:14 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

I was afraid of that - big money for lighting. I admire you guys who do this for a living to pay for your mortgage, car, etc. Really costs some change to get setup and keep up with software, computer and camera upgrades. So much I want...new computer, upgrade camera, more lenses, and yes lighting. And then I get the customers who bitch over a $35 8x10.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 AM

Since Ive been with Nikon for years, I am looking into the D3X instead of the 1Ds Mark 3. Ive played around with raw files from the D3X and its wonderful sharp stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
I was afraid of that - big money for lighting. I admire you guys who do this for a living to pay for your mortgage, car, etc. Really costs some change to get setup and keep up with software, computer and camera upgrades. So much I want...new computer, upgrade camera, more lenses, and yes lighting. And then I get the customers who bitch over a $35 8x10.
True, i hardly can find 100 customers to buy anything from me, and if so they will pay maximum $50, so that's mean i can get something around $5000, but where i can find 50 customers to pay $100? I never sell something yet, i got about 10-20% of all my gear as winning prizes in competitions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
True, i hardly can find 100 customers to buy anything from me, and if so they will pay maximum $50, so that's mean i can get something around $5000, but where i can find 50 customers to pay $100? I never sell something yet, i got about 10-20% of all my gear as winning prizes in competitions.
Do you have a website Tareq?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadewoodarts View Post
Do you have a website Tareq?
Nah, not yet
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 AM

I like as well Calvin stuff, but if you pay closed attention to the DH pictures you may notice that his effect vary from picture to picture, it is most well applied on the people with dark skins(black people), there is some shots with lighted skin people which a really nice, but any way this is just my opinion (and everything in this type of effect is the distributing very well balanced shadows, midtones and highlights)
Lighting, yes expensive, I’ve got 4 canon speed lights, but the problem with that type of lighting is that there isn’t to much light shaped tools available for them, and the power as well, other ways they are very mobile and easily I can take them with me in the bus .
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 PM

LOL, this thread is still alive and Dave is dead.

http://www.bodynet.fi/kuvat/superman.jpg

Don´t know why I´m posting here anymore. I´m so sick of wannabe-Daves.

But there are guys like Calvin and Pelle, who has skills, talent and ideas.

Last edited by Mtmm; 04-26-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2009, 02:14 PM

I have Canon 1ds mkII. If you dont have skills, dont blame camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypisek View Post
So if you think that camera is not important tell me why you don't use canon 40D or nikon D80? take nikon D80 to your hand and make some photos and show me your skill. don't talk like this, just do it man!!! 1D vs D80 ?
Skills plus camera = good photos. No skills plus any camera = no go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2009, 03:23 PM

OK, i wish to find models here or i live in USA or Europe with same gear i have now already.
5 strobes, 9 cameras [7 Canon DSLRs, 1 MF, 1 P&S], great range of lenses for my Canon right now [still waiting to earn or save more money for Hasselblad lenses], just i need a skill, how can i use all my pro tool with non-pro skill to get great photos? I have high resolution, great sharpness, nice color tones photos, but composition and idea [even not so great even lighting] are just not much good enough, that is why i am trying to find any workshops or lessons about lighting in New York later, if i can get my lighting good enough then i can focus all my skill on photoshop and and then we can beat or more important to have our own style that may be better than Dave Hill or same level of quality [but i don't think anyone in the world will accept my name on it, our arabic names are difficult to pronounce or recognized to be well known].

I can provide a photo of my friend taken in studio, maybe the lighting is not top notch, but the sharpness is something else, and i had him with white background, so anyone can remove that BG and add whatever background to have him with complete dramatic grungy atmosphere.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching