RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Looking at DH photos, i can see they are not all the same, some photos can be done or closer or even better, but some photos are really great, so i am sure it is an issue of the initial results out of the camera, the much those results are good enough, the more of DH style will be clear, and about the backgrounds most of it is HDR way, i can do those backgrounds not so difficult at all, the problem is with people skins, when we can have both in good DH style or look then we can blend or merge both to have overall final results, so if you want backgrounds i will try to provide you some, but then i need you to work on the people skin, then we will see how to combine both.

Really i saw many websites here and there, and i got shocked to see that all stating [or most] that no one got close to DH style, while i saw many photos here and there better or same as DH, so even DH got exposed and well known of his style again it is unfair to look at his style as no one can do it or nothing closer to it or it is unbeatable, out of his shots i can say 70-80% of his photos are great but the rest are not that much impact and i saw better results by others as well, DH is a smart clever as he knew how to advertise himself and his style better than others who are better than him, to be honest i love Dragan style more than DH, and i am working to do Dragan style more than DH.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 07:53 AM

JEjejJE This thread still open and much more deformed and funny that 20 pages ago!!! XD

I think: Calvin's pictrues rocks, it should be a thread called Calvin's demystification!!! He's much fine in details and retouching stuff than DH, much interesting stuff, indeed...

About cameras... A Nikon D700 with a couple of prime lenses rocks. Nothing have been done better than that camera! Colors, dynamic range, bit depth, s/n, adc, etc stands out much more than any other camera out there...

Okay, adding a bit more of spice here... XD

Bye!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
JEjejJE This thread still open and much more deformed and funny that 20 pages ago!!! XD

I think: Calvin's pictrues rocks, it should be a thread called Calvin's demystification!!! He's much fine in details and retouching stuff than DH, much interesting stuff, indeed...

About cameras... A Nikon D700 with a couple of prime lenses rocks. Nothing have been done better than that camera! Colors, dynamic range, bit depth, s/n, adc, etc stands out much more than any other camera out there...

Okay, adding a bit more of spice here... XD

Bye!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypisek View Post
It is very good idea to demystification Calvin or Mtmm:P
+1, i will watch them all the time as well!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarusek View Post
Today's contemporary photography is such that everything has an impact on the final results.
Camera 12bit and 14 bit camera matrix is colossal difference, not only in quantity but also in the roar of colors, and therefore within the scope of tonal colors.Anyone who says otherwise is an ordinary imbecile and not worth to continue further discussions with him.

About light: the lamp is used not only for modeling shadows on the object but also serves as a medium between the object and the matrix which is so much to say, good light and well distributed, the success in the field of photography. The result is a pure DH, and cosmetics as very little advertising, because the hardware and intellectual barrier for less advanced, is an excellent firewall for all kinds of amateurs.

Cypisek: Finding the effect of DH has developed his own style on the style to which the D80 once wrote tutorial, style, which sometimes in addition to refining the equipment and can provide credit to him ..
Talent: has the greatest impact on the final good photographer will make a good picture even with a cell phone but never has an effect DH:

sum:
talent + good camera + light = good suces
lack only one of the only elements = failure
If the gear is as crucial as you suggest you'd be able to tell what cameras were used by just looking at pictures, but you can't. Sure, maybe at 100% magnification and side-by-side one can note differences, but they are moot compared to what the photographer is doing with his light, posing, retouching etc.

Half the time whatever visible advantages there are between cameras get masked by image processing, like blurring, desaturation, painting with light, etc.

The problem is too many people rate the quality of their gear at the top of the scale for expressing their artistic vision when in reality it's at the bottom.

Have DH shoot with a D80 and he will still give you a DH photo that you can barely distinguish from his Canons and leaves you awestruck and scratching your head wondering how he did it.

All this focus on eq is just mere camera lust and techno-masturbation that typically distracts from people expressing a vision. Most aspiring photographers here would do much better to add a new tool to their cart that allows them to do something new (Perhaps an umbrella or bank light) than to add more cameras to their bag. And it would cost a lot less.

An analogy is that most aspiring retouchers are probably better served adding a Wacom tablet, if they don't have one, or upgrading their skills than upgrading their computer.

Here's an example. This guy advertises here. Watch his video of him doing a beauty shot with a point and shoot. It's not about how much a camera gives you, it's about what you're able to get from it.

http://www.digitalphotoshopretouchin...hoot1/vid1.htm

Putting the cart (eq) before the horse (talent) is a waste.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 11:48 AM

@tetragramaton

Really loved your boxer shots, for me this seems like a very good step in the right direction. Have you any retouching tips to share? Having seen your flickr stream, ive watched you progress quite well, and with the boxer images it seems like youve stepped up a level, have you discovered anything new or just honed your D&B techniques?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypisek View Post
It is very good idea to demystification Calvin or Mtmm:P
There doesn't even need to be a demystification of Calvin! He has tutorials and dvds for sale of some of his workflow, and some youtube videos in english. Let alone he is actually nice enough to be apart of the community and share his thoughts and photos with us, unlike the totally broadsided DH. There is no more DH.. it is now CH.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadewoodarts View Post
There doesn't even need to be a demystification of Calvin! He has tutorials and dvds for sale of some of his workflow, and some youtube videos in english. Let alone he is actually nice enough to be apart of the community and share his thoughts and photos with us, unlike the totally broadsided DH. There is no more DH.. it is now CH.
"CH" instead "DH", JAja! Yeap! You're absolutely right Will look for those DVD's!!! =D
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
"CH" instead "DH", JAja! Yeap! You're absolutely right Will look for those DVD's!!! =D
He is new and improved, personally I think CH's sharpness in his images owns the shit out of DH.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 PM

@danny kino, in the shots with the boxer I was experimenting with shadow highlight filter, and some sharpening of the blue channel(but you can play with more channels, if you’ve got the time) with low amount and high radius, then some colour corrections, changing the background, and on the end some D&B, but overall I wasn’t happy with my lighting, there ware some very deep shadow areas. But any way, everything happen very fast, because we done the shots very quickly after work, in one of the bank holiday.
About the Calvin’s DVD tutorials, I can only to complain, because it is very difficult to purchase one from country different than Germany, I’ve try in the past to buy one but I couldn’t make the payment other ways I agree Calvin have very cool stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 02:22 PM

http://hellopiccadilly.deviantart.co...ache-120752997

A bit different because of two reason:
1st one: I can't get DH look
2nd one: I'm tired of DH look
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching